DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   lathe check (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/292344-lathe-check.html)

Norvin[_2_] November 22nd 09 11:23 PM

lathe check

Looking at a older lathe, Walker-Turner about 1950s, any input
would be helpful.

Bill Noble[_2_] November 23rd 09 01:39 AM

lathe check

one thing you should look at, which is non-obvious, is the threads on the
spindle - are they a diameter and pitch you can buy accessories for, or are
they unusual and you will be contacting guys like me to make you special
ones? You want something with common threads

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:221120091724439178%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Norvin
wrote:

Looking at a older lathe, Walker-Turner about 1950s, any input
would be helpful.

How are the bearings? Check for slop.

Martin H. Eastburn November 23rd 09 01:55 AM

lathe check

If they don't have bearings - maybe babot or poured lead ones...
Find out.

Is the spindle (head) have Morse 2 or larger hole and how about the tail-stock.

Morse 2 on up is more readily available. Morse 1 and down is harder but possible.

Spindle threads - condition and what thread - 1" x 8 was standard for many,
I have a 1" x 10 TPI - had to have a custom insert for a chuck.

The larger the better diameter wise. Look for chucks - those are handy -

Any tooling comes with it - does it have an outboard threaded spindle (reverse
thread) - face plates ? one right and one left ?

Is there a free standing stand for the headstock and is there a normal tool
guide ? I had to make mine.

Is it on a base ? - needs to be heavy - you can do that - sand does the trick.

Martin ( Mine is from the 40's. Either pre or just post WW II. )

Norvin[_2_] November 23rd 09 03:03 AM

lathe check

Norvin wrote:
Looking at a older lathe, Walker-Turner about 1950s, any input
would be helpful.

Thanks for all the very helpful input, looks like I have some homework
to do.