Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning Chestnut Oak

I have a very large old chestnut oak tree that is very close to being
dead. It's close to three in diameter at the base. I can either let it
fall this winter or cut it up if it's any good to turn. I know white
and red oak split like crazy in the drying phase.
Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
On Sep 11, 8:57 pm, mountaintop wrote:
I have a very large old chestnut oak tree that is very close to being
dead. It's close to three in diameter at the base. I can either let it
fall this winter or cut it up if it's any good to turn. I know white
and red oak split like crazy in the drying phase.
Thanks

Agree mostly with Ted here, but like to add that it is important to
start out with a blank that has no splits or checks in it already, not
easily seen, but taking a very thin slice off the end of the blank and
then carefully bending that, it will show if any splits are present,
the other thing that is important IMO, is to start and finish the
project in one go, don't let it sit without covering it, even while
just going for a coffee, drink, supper, etc., turning it in cooler
weather also helps to prevent the start of checks/splits.
I have good luck with drying in a brown paper bags (craft paper) and
I'm not saying I never had one split, but yes very few, I keep that
bag at a cool draft-free spot, and check it a few times the first week
or two, might have to wipe off some mold if the weather is humid, but
that is what works for me.

I don't know specifically about chestnut oak, as I have never turned
it. I have noticed however, while turning other oaks that the sapwood
tends to check much more than the heartwood. Since you have a large
tree, you may want to remove the sapwood.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I turn oak all the time. Mostly red oak but I like to turn white oak
when I can get it. Oak does tend to split if it is not handled with
"kid gloves."

Once you have the tree down keep it in the longest logs possible until
you are ready to process it. Keep it out of the direct sunlight if
possible. Keep the ends covered if possible with woodchips or
something to keep the ends from checking as they start to dry.

When you start to cut the logs up into "bite sized" lengths get the
center/pith out ASAP and then seal the ends with Anchorseal or
something to slow the drying down. This will buy you some time while
you are deciding what to do next.

If you are turning bowls then rough turn them sooner than later. Then
seal them again with either more Anchorseal or paper bags or wood
chips. Anything to slow the drying process down will help keep
cracking to a minimum.

Even at that some pieces may crack but the rest will make good
turnings.

Ted J
thelatentlog.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

All I can say is try.

I found this on my Wood Explorer software - highly suggested for forest
scroungers :-)

Turning
** Fairly Difficult to Very Difficult

* Very good
* Easy to turn

Mixed results - but the ** is the majority.

Martin

mountaintop wrote:
I have a very large old chestnut oak tree that is very close to being
dead. It's close to three in diameter at the base. I can either let it
fall this winter or cut it up if it's any good to turn. I know white
and red oak split like crazy in the drying phase.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mountaintop wrote:
I have a very large old chestnut oak tree that is very close to being
dead. It's close to three in diameter at the base. I can either let it
fall this winter or cut it up if it's any good to turn. I know white
and red oak split like crazy in the drying phase.
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Doesn't look real good for turning for the all
the work that would be required.
I'll look into the wood explorer.

Woodchuck in chestnut tree John Grossbohlin[_2_] Woodworking 2 July 9th 09 07:05 PM
American Chestnut RicodJour Woodworking 8 August 25th 08 12:02 PM
Turning Chestnut Steve A Woodturning 2 November 18th 05 01:55 AM
Old chestnut... which screws do you recommend ? Colin Wilson UK diy 2 December 13th 04 03:47 AM
Chestnut on the way back?? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 3 June 9th 04 08:11 PM