Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Roll Call

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I can't say I come by often, but I look in now and then -- always love
to hear what folks have been doing. I'm sure there are plenty of
woodworking forums out there on the net, but this is the one I check,
because I like the way y'all think.

I'm always "just about" to get back out into the shop...er,
garage...and turn something. When I manage to do something
interesting, I'll let you know. Charlie's site, in particular, is an
inspiration.

=-=- Jenn D.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Got a crapload of wood rotting, or is that spalting? Mostly rotting.
Black birch seems to hold up somewhat better than some other stuff in
piles.

Just cut a crapload more, hope I can get it used or at least undercover
before it rots. Trying to get power into the new (or "long in progress")
shop. Two days ago brake line blew on truck (without drama), but
assessment is that's tip of expensive repair iceberg on worthless old
truck, so replacement vehicle shopping has me in front of computer.

No turning to speak of at present.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 10:35:00 -0400, Arch wrote:

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment.

Still here. Check every day and post when I have something to say.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Arch !
I'm hear every day snooping around.
Enjoying all the posts. I posted some and learned alot here. I'm not a
great turner but I like to make chips. I have had a few segment bowls
explode in the past but haven't had it happen lately,guess I've learned
a little.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lurking. Non-wood projects have been taking up my time lately.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My news reader checks for messages several times a day every day. I post
if I have something to say but that isn't often.

If I have a question that I want answering or something that I want
feedback for I usually use one of the forums that I frequent that allows
me to post images - http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ .It's advantage
for me is that it's generally UK based discussion so most products
mentioned will be available to me locally.

Duncan
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I check in every day. I had rotator cuff surgery and haven't been
doing anything, let alone turning.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Completing my first door (solid cherry with book-matched panels), but
have my next turning (eucalyptus burl) ready to go!

~Mark.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
snip

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch

Here!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Monday is a depressing way to spend
one-seventh of your life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

"waves" and returns to workshop.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi All,

I mostly lurk and post if I have a problem that I can't solve. I learn
from all the "old" guys here. I've been turning for only 5 years now and
still seem like a newbie most of the time. I do miss the binary group. I luv
the pics. Everyone keep on posting!

Dan
"Arch" wrote in message

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

We are still here in the UK, just getting ready to go off to the AWGB
Weekend Seminar tomorrow, oh, I mean today, better go get some beauty
sleep then or they wont recognize me.
Bassdiva
Out of the Woods.

"Arch" wrote in message

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , Arch
wrote:

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Lurking.
Too Hot and Humid and thick with Tiger Mosquitoes to turn right now.
-j
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Here! (you can't see it but my hand is raised)

I have been turning almost every day for the past few months. About
to possibly loose my day job so I have been trying to sell my turnings
this summer at art fairs around Michigan to make some extra cash. Bad
idea because everybody else in Michigan is loosing their job too.

I check in pretty much every day.

Ted J.
thelatentlog.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just check in

Turning and checking everyday.
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch schreef:
That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

To busy with the upcoming exposition of some of my works, but curiosity
forces met to take a look daily.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Duncan Hoyle" wrote in message

My news reader checks for messages several times a day every day. I post
if I have something to say but that isn't often.

If I have a question that I want answering or something that I want
feedback for I usually use one of the forums that I frequent that allows
me to post images - http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ .It's advantage
for me is that it's generally UK based discussion so most products
mentioned will be available to me locally.

Duncan

But, what is the fun in that? the best product, or at least the ones most
worthy of lust are those which you can't have - that's why I want a Sorello
after dinner but have to settle for plain old ice cream, and why a friend in
Davos is going crazy for some guacamole, and it probably explains all those
Robert Sorby tools we have here in the US.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

A few weeks back I started getting daily summaries from the AAW forum
as well as this one. The AAW forum has had a few more posts than this
one but I don't think it matches this group for being interesting (at
least when this group was more lively).

Here is a topic I cannot remember being addressed -- at least in my
memory:

I cut down a cherry tree about 18" wide near the ground last fall. The
rough bowls I made from it (it had a real bad center) are waiting on
the shelf to make some bowls about a foot across. But some of the
bowls developed 1/8" cracks while drying. I bought some Inlace and it
is quite pricey.

Do you guys fill cracks first and then turn the bowls or turn the
bowl, hope they stay intact and then fill the cracks so you don't use
as much of what you are filling the cracks with?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

TWW wrote:
A few weeks back I started getting daily summaries from the AAW forum
as well as this one. The AAW forum has had a few more posts than this
one but I don't think it matches this group for being interesting (at
least when this group was more lively).

Here is a topic I cannot remember being addressed -- at least in my
memory:

I cut down a cherry tree about 18" wide near the ground last fall. The
rough bowls I made from it (it had a real bad center) are waiting on
the shelf to make some bowls about a foot across. But some of the
bowls developed 1/8" cracks while drying. I bought some Inlace and it
is quite pricey.

Do you guys fill cracks first and then turn the bowls or turn the
bowl, hope they stay intact and then fill the cracks so you don't use
as much of what you are filling the cracks with?

I have lost faith in inlace. I usually use epoxy with a dab of black
dye mixed in, often with brass chips and turquoise chips. This spring
I experimented with soaking the cracked bowls in glue diluted with
equal amounts of water. results: have finish turned two of those
bowls. The 1/8" cracks are now hairline filled with glue. Seems like
the mixture over 2 or 3 days causes the bowl to swell and close the
crack then holds it. YMMV.

A direct answer to your question: I usually fill the crack before
finish turning.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Monday is a depressing way to spend
one-seventh of your life.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I also lurk daily but only comment when I think that I know what I'm talking
about. Trouble is nearly everyone here is so much more expert than me.

Tom

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

So far rcw seems live and well, just taking a nap. Thanks and keep on
checking in. I know more of you are lurking and haven't answered roll
call. You gonna get latrine duty if you are absent much longer.

Hey Tom, keep posting. You are reading a post from someone no more
expert than you, besides there's "arm chair expertise" and then there's
"latheside expertise".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch schreef:
So far rcw seems live and well, just taking a nap. Thanks and keep on
checking in. I know more of you are lurking and haven't answered roll
call. You gonna get latrine duty if you are absent much longer.

If you pay the ticket, I'll gladly do the latrine duty;-)

Gerard, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:

snipped
I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment.

I check the group several times a day to make sure I don't miss
anything. My oldest daughter happens to be getting married in two weeks
and she and her fiancé bought the house next to me. Somehow I've ended
up remodeling their house and getting it ready for them to move in. For
the past couple of months I haven't had much time to post.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Here, sorry for being tardy. Lurking occasionally. Turning some.

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I read all the posts, but seldom have anything useful to add. Doing almost
no turning lately.

When names don't appear for a long time, they tend to fade from memory--like
Lyn Mangiameli and Lief Thorvaldson. I know Lyn was very ill; anyone know
more? I used to enjoy Lief's dry humor and I wonder what has become of him
and "LDD."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm still here... not often a poster any more (and soon to lose my
Brighthouse connection to Usenet), but I visit at least once/day just to see
what's going on.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"Arch" wrote in message

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Yup, still here...

....Kevin
--