Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Roll Call

Reading this thread, I am surprised and pleased that so many are still
around.

I haven't been turning much of anything in the last several months.
It is the hottest summer on record in the fair city of San Antonio,
TX, and I have felt every degree. We are at something like 43 days
this summer over 100 degrees.

A couple of years ago, I had employees and subs to go to my work as a
general contractor and I ran all the other aspects of the business.

With the economy in the tank, I don't have enough work to support a
staff so the old nailbags came out of retirement once again.

I am really getting too old for this line of work...

Anyone ever hear from Leo Van der Loo anywhere?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Checking at least once a day, appreciate the roll call, Arch!

Been awful busy packing in the zucchini and stacking 'em
by the sink.

Anyone had experience turning them?

Old Chief Lynn
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:29:37 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

So far rcw seems live and well, just taking a nap. Thanks and keep on
checking in. I know more of you are lurking and haven't answered roll
call. You gonna get latrine duty if you are absent much longer.

snip
Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

G' day Arch,

Got my hand up here Arch, major lurker and would hate for the people
with all the knowledge to stop posting, so keep up the good work guys.
I'd also like to say I appreciate all the help and info that I get
from this group.

Does this get me off latrine duty?

Rgds,
Phil
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 6, 10:35*am, (Arch) wrote:
Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!) *

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? *Bad idea? *Very bad idea? *

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

I lurk, look, and listen almost daily. Guess I would post if I felt I
have anything of value to add to a thread. I'd rather be making chips
fly on my new Nova 1624...
Kurt
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I sure hate to keep you guys standing out in the hot sun waiting for
stragglers so stand "At Ease!", but Company not "Dismissed!". Too many
good friends to reply individually. Many thanks and good to see y'all
while waiting for more check ins to shout "Here!" or "HO!" and be
accounted for before anyone is restricted to barracks.

Arch, COC, first class (Kevin can explain)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm here most every day Arch. I post things when I think of it or get
around to shooting new pics of projects. Have a new stave turning (lidded
vase using Black Walnut and Orange Osage w/white oak thin lines) that I'll
post when done. As a relative newbie, this place has been invaluable for my
learning process as well as my inspiration directory.

Bob Crawford

"Arch" wrote in message

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LD LD is offline

"Arch" wrote in message

I sure hate to keep you guys standing out in the hot sun waiting for
stragglers so stand "At Ease!", but Company not "Dismissed!". Too many
good friends to reply individually. Many thanks and good to see y'all
while waiting for more check ins to shout "Here!" or "HO!" and be
accounted for before anyone is restricted to barracks.

Arch, COC, first class (Kevin can explain)

Hey, I've got latrine duty And KP today already ...

NTM the cat boxes - Sigh!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Quite a list of folk, never would have suspected that there are still
this many people reading

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 9, 11:42*am, "Marty G" wrote:

I am stil here just not turning too much this summer. *We have had over 43
100+ days so far.

Sounds like you are around here in South Texas. This has been the
most miserable summer in a long time. I hate seeing the thermometer
reading 100 at 6 at night, then down to a balmy 95 or so by 10:00 pm.

This is no fun for a garage turner!

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Daily lurker for a long time. Just got back to FL from Ohio visit to
see grandkids. Learn a lot from y'all here, thank you very much.
You can see some of my stuff [while the site lasts] at geo cities.
com/rridgard [splintered]
Do most of my stuff home on a Jet 10-14 extended bed, Big stuff at the
club woodshop
on one of the Jet 14-42's. Sometimes off the end [like me].

"Luigi"
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 9:35:00 -0500, Arch wrote
(in message ):

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy.

FWIW, I check in every few days, just to see what's what. I always learn
something here. Once in a great while I can even contribute... even me.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 9, 3:39*pm, Nova wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:42 am, "Marty G" wrote:

I am stil here just not turning too much this summer. *We have had over 43
100+ days so far.

Sounds like you are around here in South Texas. *This has been the
most miserable summer in a long time. *I hate seeing the thermometer
reading 100 at 6 at night, then down to a balmy 95 or so by 10:00 pm.

This is no fun for a garage turner!

Robert

A miserable summer here this year as well. *I think we've only had about
four days that were above 80 degrees so far. *All last week it was down
into the 50's at night. This July almost set a record as the coldest on
record. *It warmed up a bit the last few days of the month keeping the
old record intact.

A week ago Wed it hit 105 at the building I work in. Cities in the
area reported anything from 102 to 107. Yesterday's high's where in
the area of 62 to 64, with a low of 48ish. So then we were living
infront of the A/C, yesterday people were standing around the camp-
fire for warmth.

Today it hit a pleasant 76...

Ah the joys of living in the PNW

Ah the PNW, where we get just about
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:

: Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
: do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
: or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
: don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
: that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
: irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

: That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
: lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
: without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
: that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
: up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

I'm here, but preoccupied with house renovations.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'd just about given up on this group - thinking that ATT and Comcast
dropping
Usenet had just about done it in. Appears that it was just a Summer
thing - folks
busy with all sorts of other things. Relieved to see that folks are
still around,
if not posting.

not having any words of wisdom or sage advice to impart - it's a
good
question that generates answers - some good answers. So if you have
a question, ask away. Don't be shy - no one here bites.

Am still playing with adding movement to turned pieces - the latest Wild
Hare Idea being a Tight Rope Walker Ornament (see post with that Subject
line).

To convey what these dynamic/kinetic pieces do, I've had to get some
photo
floor lights, a tripod and learn to edit videos with I Movie and bought
and have
started playing with Final Cut Express for video editing. Now I'm
beginning to
research digital video cameras.

Adding actual movement to pieces takes a bit more work. Showing the
results
takes even more work. But as long as it's mostly fun . . .
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 7, 9:03*pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
I read all the posts, but seldom have anything useful to add. *Doing almost
no turning lately.

When names don't appear for a long time, they tend to fade from memory--like
Lyn Mangiameli and Lief Thorvaldson. *I know Lyn was very ill; anyone know
more? *I used to enjoy Lief's dry humor and I wonder what has become of him
and "LDD."

Hoy the other Leo, you mean you forgot good old George Tokarev ??, he
found himself a new moniker, after trying REALITY CHECK (didn't work
out to well )he is now using the fitting name of MIKEY MOUSE, sorry
that's MICHAEL MOUSE ;-)).
As for me I've been enjoying summer and just got back from a camping
trip up north, otherwise I turn still quite a bit, and drop in here
regularly, but it is a hassle to post most often, so I don't bother,
there are so many"experts " here that my input isn't needed I think

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch, I still drop in and look around about once a month. Have not had time
for much else. We are down to three service techs where I work and they are
working us hard. My mom broker her arm and that means I help put up hay for
15+ horses and help dad all I can. I know these are all lame excuses but I
will talk to you guys more when I can.
Hope everyone is ok!
Take care
Lyndell

"Arch" wrote in message

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!)

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? Bad idea? Very bad idea?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 7, 2:13*pm, Gerard wrote:
Arch schreef: So far rcw seems live and well, just taking a nap. Thanks and keep on
checking in. I know more of you are lurking and haven't answered roll
call. You gonna get latrine duty if you are absent much longer.

If you pay the ticket, I'll gladly do the latrine duty;-)

Gerard, Utrecht, the Netherlands.

Hi Gerard, see you're still busy turning also, saw your post on the
Aussie site, your work is still inspirational for many turners, well
done !!
This still you're site ??? http://www.woodarts4u.com/links.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

I read all the posts, but seldom have anything useful to add. Doing almost
no turning lately.

When names don't appear for a long time, they tend to fade from memory--like
Lyn Mangiameli and Lief Thorvaldson. I know Lyn was very ill; anyone know
more?

I asked around earlier in the year and no-one that might know (Fred
Holder, etc) appeared to have any knowledge of Lyn's health

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I still come here for my weekly checkup

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 6, 7:35*am, (Arch) wrote:
Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!) *

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? *Bad idea? *Very bad idea? *

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

I lurk every few days.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch,

Just an occasional lurker. A rare poster these days. Nice to see
that so many are still hanging around.

Joe Fleming
San Diego
============================

On Aug 6, 7:35*am, (Arch) wrote:
Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time. I drop by, but
don't take time to add (or subtract) to rcw. I appreciate those of you
that do post and assure you that I'm not saying that your posts are
irrelevant. (as if you cared!) *

That brayed, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble for everyone
lurking to let us know if rcw is still healthy. Just check in with or
without comment. Hope to see a lot of old friends lurking about and know
that there are a lot of new ones to be made this fall when things pick
up. Good idea? *Bad idea? *Very bad idea? *

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

schreef:
On Aug 7, 2:13 pm, Gerard wrote:
Arch schreef: So far rcw seems live and well, just taking a nap. Thanks and keep on
checking in. I know more of you are lurking and haven't answered roll
call. You gonna get latrine duty if you are absent much longer.

If you pay the ticket, I'll gladly do the latrine duty;-)

Gerard, Utrecht, the Netherlands.

Hi Gerard, see you're still busy turning also, saw your post on the
Aussie site, your work is still inspirational for many turners, well
done !!
This still you're site ???
http://www.woodarts4u.com/links.html

Hi Leo, Yes, woodarts4u.com is my site. When winter comes, I'll add
pic's of all the new turnings and some carving stuff. Meanwhile there's
a exposition and a lot of other tings to do (that's life, isn't it).
About the inspirational thing: this group, among many other sources on
the Internet where and are 90% of my learning how to turn wood and
refining it. Inspiration also seems to come from somewhere outside,
above, who can tell?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another here - frequent reader, occasional poster.

I'd guess that the posts regarding the dropping of the newsgroup, and
alternate groups, made it a lame duck. Looks now like it isn't.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Oh yeah...
I read this group but I'm not much of a talker and don't usually have
anything to add. I'm always open to some good useful techniques or
tidbits. This is the best site around for technical turning info.
Appreciate that.

june, in Denver

On Aug 6, 8:35*am, (Arch) wrote:
Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It has been a month or 3 for me. Totally swamped in July, and not much
really going on here, especially in the summer. Then the spammers come
on in. Still turning, still doing better at getting famous than I am
at getting rich, but I am having a lot of fun.

robo hippy

On Aug 6, 8:35*am, (Arch) wrote:

Don't know if there are a lot of us lurking with so many other things to
do during the summer or if the ng is becoming used up or less relevant
or if many like me get "burn out" from time to time....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

197 good answers and two obnoxious spams on rcw today. Guess the ng is
alive and well. DISMISSED!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just Lurkiung,
Haven't turned any thing in almost 2 years, then my daughter wanted me to
to her a project.
Haven't been on the NG in several years.
Clarence

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Clarence" wrote in message
Just Lurkiung,
Haven't turned any thing in almost 2 years, then my daughter wanted me to
to her a project.
Haven't been on the NG in several years.
Clarence

And you're Late for roll call!