DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how it used to be done (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/283882-how-used-done.html)

Bill Noble[_2_] August 6th 09 04:37 AM

how it used to be done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_Ph6nZfGE

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Martin H. Eastburn August 6th 09 05:25 AM

how it used to be done

That was entertaining.
I have the Richard Raffan movie - that makes me humble!

Martin

jdrum00 August 6th 09 04:51 PM

how it used to be done

Great find! He's a demon on that spindle work near the end. And except
for a couple of tool choices (and maybe a treadle-powered sharpening
stone?) everything looks totally familiar!

rjd August 6th 09 10:54 PM

how it used to be done

On Aug 5, 11:37*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_Ph6nZfGE

--
Billwww.wbnoble.com

That was reel (sic) neat - thanks for posting! Watching him use the
bandsaw made me look closer at his hands to see how many fingers he
had.

JD August 8th 09 12:58 AM

how it used to be done

Great video. He sure made that look easy. I like the idea of turning a
knob for the top to cover up the hole where the piece was held on the
lathe.

John Grossbohlin[_2_] August 8th 09 03:37 AM

how it used to be done

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:070820092013205056%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Bill Noble
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_Ph6nZfGE

Running cmmentary...

The piece he puts on the lathe ain't the piece he's cut with the band
saw...

And why is he sanding it when it's still out of round?

I suspect that the unfinished edge on the live center side makes it appear
out of round though it isn't...

AHA! The frst piece's use is revealed! He fits it with the lathe
running!

A nice video of great turning. Any guesses on RPM on that lathe?

FAST?

John

Martin H. Eastburn August 9th 09 03:06 AM

how it used to be done

Production or professional turners are faster than all get out.
They always use the tip over the hole onto a screw in the head.

I mentioned I have Richard Raffan's tape - Turning Wood and his book.
Either is worth it to have. Methodology of this and that.

He would get a catch - take another and in seconds be turning the next.

He likes to turn wet green. It gets you wet - but turns nicely.

Martin