Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sweetgum gloat

This afternoon a tree cutter brought me 58 sections of sweetgum, 18
inches long and 12-20 inches diameter. I stood them on end and sealed
one end already. Tomorrow another friend with a band mill is going to
rip the pith out of them.

I hate to see this stuff go in a land fill, but what am I going to do
with over a hundred bowl blanks? The ones I cut in January are just
ready for finish turning. I need a larger drying shed.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Make it idiot proof and someone will
make a better idiot.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:11:39 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

This afternoon a tree cutter brought me 58 sections of sweetgum, 18
inches long and 12-20 inches diameter. I stood them on end and sealed
one end already. Tomorrow another friend with a band mill is going to
rip the pith out of them.

I hate to see this stuff go in a land fill, but what am I going to do
with over a hundred bowl blanks? The ones I cut in January are just
ready for finish turning. I need a larger drying shed.

Hmmm.... I think this goes under the category of what my dad called "Crying all
the way to the bank"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Turn them, dry them sell them, though I admit I have a similar problem. I
get green wood then rough turn. I have to start finnishing more of my
roughouts and sell, donate give away or I am going to runout of space!