Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wibble Wobble Lidded Box - with Pendulum Finial

Finally, thanks to YouTube, IMovie and digital camera that'll also
do short videos, I can show folks some examples of adding
actual movement to a turning - that you can actually see move.

So here's a link to a Hyper Ellipsoid lidded box, with penduluming
finial - a piece with two different ways of moving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieb1946

Click on WibbleWobble to vew the vid. It may initially play
weird at the start. If it does, back it up and play it again.

Questions, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism
appreciated.

charlieb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LD LD is offline

"charlieb" wrote in message
Finally, thanks to YouTube, IMovie and digital camera that'll also
do short videos, I can show folks some examples of adding
actual movement to a turning - that you can actually see move.

So here's a link to a Hyper Ellipsoid lidded box, with penduluming
finial - a piece with two different ways of moving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieb1946

Click on WibbleWobble to vew the vid. It may initially play
weird at the start. If it does, back it up and play it again.

Questions, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism
appreciated.

charlieb

Now that is really cool! No batteries required. Thanks for sharing the
inside view also.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here's a link with photos of this thing for the details.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation6.html

The pendulum finial uses an easily made ball and socket/ swivel joint
that can be used for other movement pieces

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation0.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LD LD is offline

"charlieb" wrote in message
Here's a link with photos of this thing for the details.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation6.html

The pendulum finial uses an easily made ball and socket/ swivel joint
that can be used for other movement pieces

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation0.html

Have you written an article for American Woodturner on your motion series?
If not, you should. Maybe even a book. Certainly the most creative work I've
seen in a long time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 8 May 2009 23:59:50 -0500, charlieb wrote
(in message ):

Finally, thanks to YouTube, IMovie and digital camera that'll also
do short videos, I can show folks some examples of adding
actual movement to a turning - that you can actually see move.

So here's a link to a Hyper Ellipsoid lidded box, with penduluming
finial - a piece with two different ways of moving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieb1946

Click on WibbleWobble to vew the vid. It may initially play
weird at the start. If it does, back it up and play it again.

Questions, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism
appreciated.

charlieb

Very neat item, and thanks for the inside view. With this, and your mini-bot
pieces, I think the inside of your head must be a very interesting place. I
like it.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie,

I want to add my thanks, congratulations and amazed delight. You have
not only produced some very intriguing turned objects with your
outstanding turning ability, but also with your exceptionally creative
mind. I sincerely believe that you have added a whole new and truly
unique facet to woodturning. Your refreshing work has freed static
turnings and added motion that is more than gimmick or gadget. IMHO,
your signatures are right up there with hollow forms and other signal
advances in the art/craft.

Thank you for sharing, please don't leave us as you become widely
respected and appreciated outside our friendly confines. It has been a
pleasure to watch you add innovative thinking and fine turning to your
already accomplished flat work.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LD wrote:

Have you written an article for American Woodturner on your motion series?
If not, you should. Maybe even a book.

Am considering submitting an article on fairly easy ways to add
actual motion
to turnings using fine piano wire, simple to do ball and
socket/swivel joints
and maybe the use of micro-bots that are finally becoming available,
and
affordable - if not downright inexpensive. I've got line drawing
illustrations,
photos and now videos of examples.

Certainly the most creative work I've seen in a long time.

There's a fine line between "creative" and "crazy" and some of the
ideas
I've got floating around in the back of my mind may require a touch
of insanity to try and make into realities. The Bot Sugar Bowl took
over 20 hours of work to pull off.

As for being creative - I'm just getting into this Movement thing.
Turns out Peter Rand has been playing with movement for his
turnings a lot longer than I have. Check out his stuff

http://www.brockU.ca/researchers/pet.../revstart.html

And Robert Chapman over in England has been doing some interesting
pieces with moving parts as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:

There are probably a lot of interesting ideas for your next piece
tucked away inside YOUR head too. The trick is to get them out
where the conscious part of your brain can work with them. And,
despite what a lot of people think (the "I'm just not very creative."
people) - you CAN learn how to unlearn how to NOT be creative.
Here are a few ways

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...storming0.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Finally, thanks to YouTube, IMovie and digital camera that'll also
do short videos, I can show folks some examples of adding
actual movement to a turning - that you can actually see move.

So here's a link to a Hyper Ellipsoid lidded box, with penduluming
finial - a piece with two different ways of moving.

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlieb1946

Click on WibbleWobble to vew the vid. It may initially play
weird at the start. If it does, back it up and play it again.

Questions, comments, suggestions, constructive criticism
appreciated.

charlieb

Charlie,

That is some cool ****! You've got me wanting to make one!!
Any pointers? Tips?? Things to watch out for??

Brilliant work by the way!
`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm afraid the old There's Nothing New Under The Sun is true in this
case.

I just sort of stumbled onto this Movement Thing, though I have chosen
pursue it a bit more than a saner person might. But several other
turners
I've become aware of have been incorporating actual movement in some
of their turned pieces long before I got onto it - Peter Rand for
example,
and there's a guy names Robert Whitworth here in the SF Bay Area who
developed special tension adjustable ball and socket joints for his
poseable
"creature" - and even used little needle bearings to allow the head
of one to spin - for a LONG time.

I'm just one of a long line of turners, sane or otherwise, who found
ways
to add actual movement to pieces - and did. I'll take credit for being
perhaps a bit more tenacious in pursuing a Wild Hare Idea than others
might - tenacious being only a hair's breadth from Bull Headed. And
being a Taurus (no, not the Ford product - the astrological sign), I
take Bull Headed as a compliment, intended or not.

I like poking into obscure corners and playing with turnings. If I find
something others may also find interesting and I can provide some
ways for them to try something different, or show that some things
that appear difficult or tricky - aren't - and why - that's a bonus.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Casper wrote:

That is some cool ****!

Thanks - I think.

You've got me wanting to make one!!

That's what I'd hoped

Any pointers? Tips?? Things to watch out for??

This should get you started

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation0.html

If not, ask away.

Brilliant work by the way!

Humorous, funny, maybe delightful - yes. Brilliant? Nope.

**wibble** runner slot thingy system **wibble** TrailRat Woodworking 7 May 12th 09 10:11 PM
Inlay Rimmed Lidded Box with Integral Finial - Step By Step charlieb Woodturning 4 December 22nd 08 07:55 AM
Pendulum Jigsaw Problem Davy UK diy 6 September 3rd 07 08:34 PM
Turned Lidded Box - Finial Choices - Your Prefence? charlie b Woodturning 6 October 29th 06 09:52 PM
PENDULUM CRADLE J T Woodworking 12 November 3rd 05 08:55 AM