DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dying bone? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/275404-dying-bone.html)

Groomporter April 7th 09 10:32 PM

dying bone?

I've been playing around with making some bone game pieces. Does
anyone know what turners used to use for dying ivory chess pieces red?

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games
http://historicgames.com

Martin H. Eastburn April 8th 09 04:28 AM

dying bone?

The cheapest/oldest color - Barn Red. Iron based paint.
Get an iron based stain.

Martin

[email protected] April 8th 09 05:17 PM

dying bone?

The guys on the knifemaking side of crafts all seem to use shoe
leather dye, then seal it.

I have seen some really nice work with this technique and apparently
the coloring lasts really well, too.

Robert