Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Nostepinne

I am in the process of trying to make nostepinnes. For those not
familiar with nostepinnes, they are basically a fancy stick for
winding yarn. I find it works like a charm, especially for folks with
arthritis. They are a simple and inexpensive solution for crafters.

My one issue is being able to make them long enough. I have a Jet Mini
1014 and seem limited to producing 10" nostepinnes. I'd really like
to make 12-14" versions which work better for bulkier wool.

I have seen them in 16-18" but I don't think that is possible with my
lathe. Anyone have suggestions or jigs for increasing the length?

Thanks,
`Casper

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Assuming you have a chuck, you could turn a "mortise" in the end of one
half, and a tenon on the end of the other half - and glue them
together.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Assuming you have a chuck, you could turn a "mortise" in the end of one
half, and a tenon on the end of the other half - and glue them
together.
charlieb

I've given making two parts some thought, but not specifically
mortise. I have both a jacobs and mini nova chuck.

I've made a few at about 9" but for bulkier wools it gets awkward to
handle. I've seen some at 12", 14" and even 16" but I think if I could
get at least 11" they would work fine and still be one piece.

I've been using the nova chuck and thought if I could make a shorter
jig to give me another inch or two that would solve my problem.

`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 1, 11:40 am, Casper wrote:
Assuming you have a chuck, you could turn a "mortise" in the end of one
half, and a tenon on the end of the other half - and glue them
together.
charlieb

I've given making two parts some thought, but not specifically
mortise. I have both a jacobs and mini nova chuck.

I've made a few at about 9" but for bulkier wools it gets awkward to
handle. I've seen some at 12", 14" and even 16" but I think if I could
get at least 11" they would work fine and still be one piece.

I've been using the nova chuck and thought if I could make a shorter
jig to give me another inch or two that would solve my problem.

I don't get it. This looks like between centers work, and your lathe
will do 14". Even allowing for extra stock at both ends you should be
able to do 12" no problem. If you need to clean up the ends in the
chuck you can just remove the tailstock to give you more room.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I don't get it. This looks like between centers work, and your lathe
will do 14". Even allowing for extra stock at both ends you should be
able to do 12" no problem. If you need to clean up the ends in the
chuck you can just remove the tailstock to give you more room.
-Kevin

I removed my nova mini chuck this week and started a pearwood
nostpinne that I am squeaking out to a little over 12". It's still on
the lathe awaiting finishing. I'll post a picture when it's done.
`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here is my finished pear wood nostepinne...
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...ostepinneC.jpg

Click the "Full Size" button to enlarge if it comes up small. It is a
little hard to see the grain so I presented it's best side.

I turned this from an end-grain section of branch from a 150 year old
pear tree. The tree belonged to the friend of a neighbor. Apparently
the fruit went unused and every summer would bring hundreds of bees
which his wife could no longer tolerate. He reluctantly cut it down
which, as it turned out, was a good thing as most of the trunk was
rotted and hollowed from ant infestation. I salvaged what I could
leaving the rest on his wood pile for firewood.

I went simple on the finish, using Hut Crystal Coat followed by a
layer of Renaissance wax and a light buffing. I wasn't certain my Hut
was still good so I used it on a test piece and it's still usable. I
guess keeping it sealed inside an airtight plastic bag and indoors has
kept it from spoiling just yet. I plan to use it up if possible.

I plan on making more nostepinnes for gifts and sale but this one I am
keeping to honor the long life of the tree and it's beautiful wood.

`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Casper wrote:
[...]

I made my wife a dough rolling pin from seasoned (dry) bradford pear.
Within a year it had split. Have made a lot of bowls from it with
hardly any cracks.

Looks nice!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never enter a battle of wits unarmed.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I made my wife a dough rolling pin from seasoned (dry) bradford pear.
Within a year it had split. Have made a lot of bowls from it with
hardly any cracks.

Looks nice!
Gerald Ross

Thanks ... and I hope mine doesn't split. I have yet to decide how to
turn the rest but I already love the color and grain! Most of my
pieces are small so I'll be choosing carefully.

I put the pen in for size appreciation. Most nostepinnes I have seen
are only about an inch in diameter and are difficult or painful to use
for folks with arthritis. So, I made mine more substantial.

I can also use it on hubby ... just kidding.

`Casper