Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default unusual request

Hi every one, this is probably a first, is there any Scottish Gaelic
speakers in the NG? If so could you please translate into Gaelic the
following? "The woodturners hut" or "The woodturners shed"

I want to make a sign and put it on the door, but my Gaelic is non existent.

Thanks Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Tom Dougall" wrote:

Hi every one, this is probably a first, is there any Scottish Gaelic
speakers in the NG? If so could you please translate into Gaelic the
following? "The woodturners hut" or "The woodturners shed"

I want to make a sign and put it on the door, but my Gaelic is non existent.

Thanks Tom

No, but a story. We just got back from the UK, we saw a news report
while we were there. In Wales they put up bilingual traffic signs. They
had to have a (complicated) custom sign made for some issue (I don't
recall what it was right now). Well, they e-mail the English statement
to their translator and got back a response. So they put that response
on the other half of the sign. Only the response was an "out of office"
response, in Welsh....

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The traffic signs in lots of places in Scotland are also bi-lingual. The
Welsh and Gaelic spelling is very difficult for most foreigners and they
have great difficulty in trying to pronounce it. Still that does not get
me my Gaelic sign does it? Here's hoping some kind person out there can
help me.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Dougall wrote:

Hi every one, this is probably a first, is there any Scottish Gaelic
speakers in the NG? If so could you please translate into Gaelic the
following? "The woodturners hut" or "The woodturners shed"

I want to make a sign and put it on the door, but my Gaelic is non
existent.

Thanks Tom

Can`t give you Scottish but thanks to a member of another group, the Irish
is "Bothán dheileadóir adhmaid" if thats any use.

--
Boru
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 8 nov, 15:23, Boru wrote:
Tom Dougall wrote:
Hi every one, this is probably a first, is there any Scottish Gaelic
speakers in the NG? * If so could you please translate into Gaelic the
following? * *"The woodturners hut" * or * "The woodturners shed"

I want to make a sign and put it on the door, but my Gaelic is non
existent.

Thanks Tom

Can`t give you Scottish but thanks to a member of another group, the Irish
is "Bothán dheileadóir adhmaid" if thats any use.

--
Boru

May I suggest you ask on the group sci.lang.translation, a polite
request such as your is always well received, and I can state for a
fact that there are Scots among the regulars (though participation has
dropped off a lot).

You might have one problem, however: what would be the reaction of a
Gaelic speaker entering your shop expecting you to speak that
language ?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thank you to all who replied. I took my Grandson to Scotland on vacation,
he climbed Ben Nevis, went whale watching, and went to the Highland games
among other things. He is now passionate about all things Scottish and it
is really he who wants the sign as he uses my lathe almost as much as I do.
We live in Nottingham England and the shed is in the back garden so there is
very little likelihood of a native Gaelic speaker seeing the sign. If it
happens I'll just say speak to my grandson.

Special thanks to Boru I am still trying to get it in Scottish Gaelic and if
I ever succeed I will post it. I know both languages are very similar
but I do want to get it right first time.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom,

Here's some words from an 1851 Scottish Gaelic dictonary. Your Grandson
might enjoy putting some of them together as a name for your shed.
Sorry, I'm not smart enough to figure out the grammar for possessives or
occupational suffixes. Hope this helps a little.

Slainte, Arch
**************************************

wood: coille, doie, flodh

woodmonger: Fear-reich-coille, ceanneiche, fiodha

carpenter: saor

cottage: bothan

hut (little cottage) bothan beag

turner: tuairneir

shaving: bearradh

lathe: beairt-tuairneir

a shave or clip: bearradh

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom - why don't you email the chamber of commerce of one or two of the
towns you visited and ask them for a quick translation of those three
words?

If you let them know how interested you are in getting the translation
perfect, I'll bet they would bite.

Maybe even hit the language department of a Scottish or Irish
university.

Just a thought...

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Tom Dougall wrote:
I know both languages are very similar but I do want to get it right
first time.

Yes. Similar enough for a Scottish gaelic speaker and an Irish gaelic
speaker to be able to understand each other.

--
Stuart Winsor

See: http://www.barndance.org.uk
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi everyone I finally got the correct translation from a Gaelic group. Here
it is :- "Bothan tuairnear an fhiodha"

Many thanks to all who took the trouble to help.

Tom

Unusual repair No Name Home Repair 7 June 3rd 08 02:53 AM
Unusual 1/4-18 tap Don Young Metalworking 26 January 16th 08 01:31 AM
Unusual space heater recommendation request CraigT Home Repair 4 November 8th 07 01:44 PM
Advice on an interior ceiling - unusual request! John Burns UK diy 11 December 14th 04 07:59 PM
Unusual MDF? Bob Minchin UK diy 3 August 20th 03 08:46 AM