Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Thru Chuck Needed

I have an old, 1954 vintage Rockwell Delta lathe. I've been using it to
put new tips on pool cues. To do this, I jam the cue shaft through the
hollow head spindle and into a ball bearing steady rest I made. This
works OK if I'm careful to wrap the cue shaft but is not ideal to say
the least.

What I would like to get is a thru chuck that fits a 1 x 8 spindle that
I can tighten down on the cue shaft as it comes out of the spindle.
I've never used a jaw chuck to turn anything, I always attach a hunk of
wood to a face plate to mount bowls or spigots etc. Chucks are
generally used to hold bowls or spigots and descriptions are not clear
to me if they would hold something like this.

I'm looking for a cheap solution, nothing fancy or expensive, but I'm
not sure which chucks would work best to hold a thin (under 1/2") dowel
threaded through the spindle?

I'm looking at this one from Penn State tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ec...aw-chucks.html

I'm not sure this one would even work from the pictures, and I'd really
like something even cheaper, but under $100 I guess is ok. It needs to
be self centering as I don't want to fool around adjusting jaws.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:49:55 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

[...]

Should work...
I have a Oneway Talon chuck and run dowels through the spindle and tighten the
chuck on them..
I guess that they're too long (1 piece) to do between centers?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:

I'm looking at this one from Penn State tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ec...aw-chucks.html

I'm not sure this one would even work from the pictures, and I'd really
like something even cheaper, but under $100 I guess is ok. It needs to
be self centering as I don't want to fool around adjusting jaws.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Should work...
I have a Oneway Talon chuck and run dowels through the spindle and tighten the
chuck on them..
I guess that they're too long (1 piece) to do between centers?

Not that they're too long but to shape the tip you need the end of the
shaft open. Oneway looks like a nice chuck but I don't plan on using it
enough to spend too much. I think the Woodturner's 3-Jaw Micro Chuck
might be all I need except the jaws look like they would damage the
shaft? Does anyone own the chuck?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM18X.html

It goes for $60 but doesn't say it's self centering, so I guess it's not?
--
Jack
http://jbstein.comlike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jack Stein" wrote: Not that they're too long but to shape the tip you need
the end of the
shaft open. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Consider holding the big end at the spindle, and supporting the small end in
some kind of a steady rest. It could be home made, out of plywood, using
roller blade wheels. Since it is a dedicated application, you may be able
to get by with minimal or no adjustments.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Rob wrote:
Check out this shop-made collet chuck.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...olletChuck.htm

Thanks Rob, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Now I'm
thinking maybe I should spring for collet chuck like this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html

On the other hand now that I started looking around, maybe I should just
buy a decent 4 jaw chuck in case I get back into making bowls and
such... I'm still am not too interested in spending too much money...

This "apprentice" chuck at CraftSupply (WoodTurners catalog) seems like
a good bang for the buck one that would suit my needs?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... e_chuck?Args=

Anyone have experience with this chuck or with Craft Supply, or any
recommendations for a 4 jaw chuck?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 09:19:32 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

Rob wrote:
Check out this shop-made collet chuck.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...olletChuck.htm

Thanks Rob, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Now I'm
thinking maybe I should spring for collet chuck like this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html

On the other hand now that I started looking around, maybe I should just
buy a decent 4 jaw chuck in case I get back into making bowls and
such... I'm still am not too interested in spending too much money...

This "apprentice" chuck at CraftSupply (WoodTurners catalog) seems like
a good bang for the buck one that would suit my needs?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... e_chuck?Args=

Anyone have experience with this chuck or with Craft Supply, or any
recommendations for a 4 jaw chuck?

No experience with their chucks, but I've been ordering from Craft Supply for
years and they're very reliable and helpful..

Might as well get a chuck, you might decide to turn pine cue balls to mess folks
minds up.. Maybe with a little side weight?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Jack,

Since you want this chuck to perform a single task and you want to
keep the cost to a minimum, I would suggest that you make a spring
chuck. The cost will be a faceplate or a 1" x 8 tpi nut and a chunk of
wood. I used to make these for special purpose uses quite often before
I slowly accumulated a dozen or so chucks with different size jaws. I
did an article on these chucks in the December 1996 issue of More
Woodturning. If you want to go to my web site and find my e-mail
address and send me an e-mail, I'll e-mail a PDF of the article to
you. This can be used as a through chuck with the limit of the size
being governed by the diameter of the hole through your headstock. Or
you can make it up larger to hold a piece of wood which is then
supported by a center steady so you can turn the end.

In the early days of woodturning these were quite common and just had
a metal ring that slipped over the outside of the chuck jaws to
compress them onto the workpiece. I used a hose clamp or a metal
ring, if I had one of the right size.

Buy a sack full of 1" x 8 tpi nuts and make a number of these chucks
to hold the tenons on various size pieces. It just takes a short time
to make them and the cost is very low.I found them to work well to
hold the stem for turning spinner tops or the dowel for a bottle
stopper or basically any small round item up to 1" in diameter.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

On Nov 6, 7:49*am, Jack Stein wrote:
[...]

Using FREE News Server:http://Motzarella.orghttp://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Fred. I was thinking of doing something like this with some 1x8
nuts rather than buying a tap. I have a number of face plates that I
can use as well. I was I'll be in touch for the PDF file.

Thanks again.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Fred Holder wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:49:19 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

Thanks Fred. I was thinking of doing something like this with some 1x8
nuts rather than buying a tap. I have a number of face plates that I
can use as well. I was I'll be in touch for the PDF file.

Thanks again.

I noticed that Penn State has a "Dowel chuck" for less than $100, with several
collets... Couldn't tell from the picture (old catalog) if the collets were
pass-through, but if so, it might work well for ya..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:49:19 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

Thanks Fred. I was thinking of doing something like this with some 1x8
nuts rather than buying a tap. I have a number of face plates that I
can use as well. I was I'll be in touch for the PDF file.

Thanks again.

I noticed that Penn State has a "Dowel chuck" for less than $100, with several
collets... Couldn't tell from the picture (old catalog) if the collets were
pass-through, but if so, it might work well for ya..

Yes, a collet chuck is exactly what I need. Penn state has one for $90
and the Beall Collet Chuck for which I found a review he

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...tchuckrvu.html

Looks perfect, but costs $160. Now I'm thinking of making my own
collet chuck out of wood and a few 1x8 nuts. Turning the collet should
be easy enough, and a hose clamp would work well to tighten things up.

Fred, I sent you an email for your PDF file on making a spring collet,
but haven't received it yet.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:35:36 -0500, Jack Stein wrote:

mac davis wrote:
[...]

I made a simple "jam chuck" a few years ago, when my wife wanted a bunch of hair
sticks..
I was using 1/2" diameter round stock, and used a piece of thick wall PVC tubing
with slits, and sliding a key ring over it to tighten it down..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That is a beautiful and expensive double angle collet set.
I use them on my metal lathe and Mill. They are overkill.

I'd consider C5 collets if you can get a chuck.
http://www.ecolletchucks.com/BISON/B...ET-CHOICES.htm

Bison is a good name and rated for Steel - so it is true running.
C5 has square and hex and round collets.

There are many other sources and companies that sell these.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
That is a beautiful and expensive double angle collet set.
I use them on my metal lathe and Mill. They are overkill.

I'd consider C5 collets if you can get a chuck.
http://www.ecolletchucks.com/BISON/B...ET-CHOICES.htm

Bison is a good name and rated for Steel - so it is true running.
C5 has square and hex and round collets.

Thanks Martin. Fred sent me the PDF file and I think for now, I'll make
some wood collets for this project. Later, I'll buy a regular 3 or 4
jaw chuck.

Now all I need is some 1x8tpi nuts:-)

--
Jack