Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default introducing new reader here

I'm tom koehler, from Two Harbors Minnesota. Retired last year from 32 years
on the railroad as a trackworker (primary job in the track dep't was track
welder). I have been making sawdust in my very small basement with a
Shopsmith for 35 years. I am aware of most of its shortcomings as a lathe,
tablesaw, drill press and anything lese asked of it, but by golly with the
space I have, it is my only recourse. As a consequence, I live by the words
of a tagline in a popular song of some years ago, "If you can't have the
tools you love, then love the tools you're with..." or something like that.

I have found that if my block of wood is not perfectly balanced, the SS will
dance a pretty jig, when I am not in the mood for dancing. As mentioned here
in another thread, the speed reducer for the SS is kind of a kludge, but if
used with smaller blocks, the work is manageable.
I'm self-taught on the lathe, from books - mostly "The Wood-Turning Lathe" by
Haines, Adams, et al. pub. 1952, Van Nostrand. This was my dad's book. He had
a SS from that period, and I remeber watching him in his little garage shop,
making some Keene's cement lamps from one of the projects in this book.

My lathe work has been mainly smallish things of a wide variety, mostly
between centers. I have done some faceplate work, split turnings (brown paper
and white glue) and chuck work with purpose-make friction-fit wood chucks.

I'll scan through and read postings on this NG on a regular basis, to pick up
useful bits of info, and try to post stuff if it is within my realm of
experience. From what I have read here so far, you folks are some pretty
serious turners and way the heck out of my league, so am not sure what I can
contribute of value to you. I will have plenty of questions, though.

first Q: what is "CA"? I keep seeing references to it, with no idea exacctly
what it is. I have not seen references to a FAQ for this NG, so will gladly
go to it, if there is one.

second Q: I tried going to
http://www.shopss.net/books/WoodTurn...odTurning.html to get a
gander at the book referred to, but could not get in. Message said I didn't
have clearance or permission, or similar message. Another person in this NG
apparently ahs this same book on his website, but no reference where that
site was. Am interested in looking at this book, I think, so am hoping to get
pointed in the right direction.

third Q: refers to a particular type of grind on a bowl turning gouge. Ah, I
am in pretty near perfect woodturner's isolation here, folks, so will need a
more thorough background in bowl turning gouge technology, here, I think. My
tool set is limited so far, to a set of basic Craftsman turning tools a
couple of home-brew tools, and a hefty gouge I bought from a tool catalog
many years ago. Has a peculiar looking (to me, anyway) grind on its end -
intended for bowl work. I've had mixed results with it, and so will be
looking for a clue, again.

Enough for now, so here is a virtual shot and a beer for you if you want it,
for getting this far. Thanks for your time.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

second Q: I tried going tohttp://www.shopss.net/books/WoodTurning/CourseWoodTurning.htmlto get a
[...]

Hi Tom,
always glad to see a new name so welcome aboard.
CA glue is crazy glue or Cyano Acrylate glue. Lots of different brand
names but a quick search on Google will fill you in.
I can't get into the book site either.
Grinds on gouges there are lots of write ups and how to's along with
pictures etc. Again do a Google for "gouge grind" and about 250 pages
come up.
hope this helps :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:26:30 -0500, Canchippy wrote
(in message
):

Hi Tom,
always glad to see a new name so welcome aboard.
CA glue is crazy glue or Cyano Acrylate glue. Lots of different brand
names but a quick search on Google will fill you in.
I can't get into the book site either.
Grinds on gouges there are lots of write ups and how to's along with
pictures etc. Again do a Google for "gouge grind" and about 250 pages
come up.
hope this helps :-)

thanks for the reply, Canchippy. Crazy glue... who'd a thunk? I use it on my
own cuts, never considered woodturnings. heh.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom koehler wrote in
net.net:

[...]

Welcome tom. I can't get into the website either, but I think Darrell
Feltmate has the book on his website. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/
Darrell's website can probably answer most if not all of your questions.
Regards,
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 22, 2:28*am, Hank wrote:
tom koehler

Welcome tom. I can't get into the website either, but I think Darrell
Feltmate has the book on his website.http://www.aroundthewoods.com/
Darrell's website can probably answer most if not all of your questions.

Hello, Tom. Welcome aboard. Feel free to post anything you like, and
remember, we all started somewhere.

I agree with Hank, Darrell's website is a must.

You can check out a lot of different grinds (bowl grinds, mostly if I
remember right) he

http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv

Look in the upper left hand corner (not all the way up) , and you will
see a line named "message boards". Click that one, and you will get
another page that has three buttons on it listing the different areas
of the forums. You will see TURNING there, and you can get the rest.

The best thing about that site is the archives (just like here) are
searchable, and you can get a ton of information on just about any
aspect of turning with a few clicks.

Hope to see you here often.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom koehler writes:

third Q: refers to a particular type of grind on a bowl turning gouge. Ah, I
am in pretty near perfect woodturner's isolation here, folks, so will need a
more thorough background in bowl turning gouge technology, here, I think. My
tool set is limited so far, to a set of basic Craftsman turning tools a
couple of home-brew tools, and a hefty gouge I bought from a tool catalog
many years ago. Has a peculiar looking (to me, anyway) grind on its end -
intended for bowl work. I've had mixed results with it, and so will be
looking for a clue, again.

There are several grinds for bowl turning gouges.
Irish, Ellsworth, Fingernail, etc.

This is a complicated topic, and I'm not a real expert.

But it has to do with the way the grind is done, and the shape of the
gouge.

Bowl gouges are deeper than spindle gouges.

Think of it this way.

For a roughing gouge, I place the gouge in a sharpening jig, and
rotate it around the handle as an axis. This is the easiest grind for
a bowl gouge.

If you were using a round nose scraper, the pivot point is not down
the middle of the handle, but a point near the end of the
scraper. That's a side-to-side pivot, instead of a rotate pivot.

In between, there are more complicated grinds. The fingernail grind is
like the roughing gouge, but as you get near the end, you push the
gouge up. So it pivots up and down.

In other grinds, the pivot point is off to the side. Imagine you stick
a piece of wood perpendicular to the tool, and rotate on that
point. This sort of grind needs a jig to be reproducible. Options a

Ellsworth jig
Wolverine Vari-Grind
Tormek Gouge Jig
Homemade jigs

The Ellsworth and Irish grinds need a jig. The advantages is the
number of different ways you can use a single tool. I attended a local
lecture, and I think he mentioned 7 different ways you can cut with
such a grind. Normally one rides the bevel to prevent digging in. One
variation includes holding the tool "upside down" and scraping with
the edge (and only the edge) on the bowl.

These techniques are hard to learn from a book.

But these grinds are very personal. I have a Tormek system, and one
recommendation is to use a standard grind, and using the Tormek
features, slowly change a tool's profile so that is is more like a
Ellsworth. Try it. That way you slowly get used to the new profile.

Here's one picture of a traditional and fingernail grind.

http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/sh...=5556&size=big

Here's more info
http://www.woodturningdesign.com/askdale/14/14.shtml
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/irish-grind.html

In any case, you don't want to ruin your favorite tool. Experiment
with different shapes, but I'd buy a new gouge for experimentation.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" writes:

You can check out a lot of different grinds (bowl grinds, mostly if I
remember right) he

http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv

Thanks, Robert! I just bookmarked that site!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

One excellent bowl turning DVD is by Bill Grumbine. He takes you
through just about everything from tools, techniques, and chainsaw
use. It is really highly recomended. Also, there are a lot of clips on
U Tube.
robo hippy

On Oct 22, 5:27*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
" writes:
You can check out a lot of different grinds (bowl grinds, mostly if I
remember right) he

*http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv

Thanks, Robert! I just bookmarked that site!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
Welcome to the woodturning zoo. CA as you have been told is just Super
Glue (one of its many brand names). It comes in thin, thicker and
thickest but most of us use more thin and medium for woodworking than we
do thick. I appreciate the many kind words about my web site. It is over
at http://aroundthewoods.com/ I recommend making the sharpening jig at
http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html
I think the book you want is over at
http://aroundthewoods.com/book1/preface.html
Any questions just ask away. This group is good to answer. Chime in any
one else's thread. We are all trying to learn here.

Darrell Feltmate
http://aroundthewoods.com

" writes:
You can check out a lot of different grinds (bowl grinds, mostly if I
remember right) he
http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv

Thanks, Robert! I just bookmarked that site!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 2:28:51 -0500, Hank wrote
(in message ):

Welcome tom. I can't get into the website either, but I think Darrell
Feltmate has the book on his website. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/
Darrell's website can probably answer most if not all of your questions.
Regards,
Hank

Thanks for your reply. I'll give the site a look.
tom koehler
--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 2:42:56 -0500, wrote
(in message
):

On Oct 22, 2:28*am, Hank wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply, Robert. I will check out the resources you have given
here.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:18:47 -0500, Darrell Feltmate wrote
(in message b8KLk.3163$%%2.991@edtnps82):

" writes:
You can check out a lot of different grinds (bowl grinds, mostly if I
remember right) he
http://tinyurl.com/b4mlv
Thanks, Robert! I just bookmarked that site!

Thank you to both Darrel and robo hippy for your responses and information.
I'm feelin' like a kid at Christmas, all this good info.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 7:25:46 -0500, Maxwell Lol wrote
(in message ):

tom koehler writes:

[...]

Well, this is a great resource for me, on gouges and grinds. Thank you. I
will check this info out. I am unafraid of experimenting with home made jigs,
and trying things out. I have a good place to begin, now.

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom koehler wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom, Welcome. You Got a lot of replies to CA - So 'nuf said. I've
turned on a SS for 20 plus years and although it has its limitations
it's a good all round machine. I've turned green wood to its max
diameter (15in + or -) The one thing that helped me was SS's speed
reducer. It still wanted to dance but it was manageable(it ALMOST taught
me to dance, but no luck) AS far as "grinds" are concerned find what
you can comfortably work with. There are many different "grinds" touted
by Different "Professionals" but they don't work for everybody. I
bought a SS sharpening guide and it worked great. I'm now on a new
lathe and trying to learn a new grind,but am seriously thinking to go
back to the SS. Whatever you do have fun with your turning.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:57:03 -0500, Ralph wrote
(in message PRQLk.3278$%%2.1015@edtnps82):

Hi Tom, Welcome. You Got a lot of replies to CA - So 'nuf said. I've
turned on a SS for 20 plus years and although it has its limitations
it's a good all round machine. I've turned green wood to its max
diameter (15in + or -) The one thing that helped me was SS's speed
reducer. It still wanted to dance but it was manageable(it ALMOST taught
me to dance, but no luck) AS far as "grinds" are concerned find what
you can comfortably work with. There are many different "grinds" touted
by Different "Professionals" but they don't work for everybody. I
bought a SS sharpening guide and it worked great. I'm now on a new
lathe and trying to learn a new grind,but am seriously thinking to go
back to the SS. Whatever you do have fun with your turning.

Thanks, Ralph. Yeah, I have enough material to study now for awhile. Only bad
thing is it will keep me out of the nasement for awhile. The good thing is it
will arm me with new information to try out and practice.
Yeah, I have the speed reducer, too, but there is enough shake in that setup
that I have to pay close attention to the geometry of my work.
I want to check out what kind of motor the SS has. If it is a brush type
motor I should be able to come up with an electrical speed control that
should work pretty good. If it is a split-phase motor, something a bit more
sophisticated and expensive will be required to get rid of the add-on speed
reducer setup.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:05:15 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Tom..
As a long-time SS user, I'll advise something that you probably don't want to
hear:
Buy a Jet Mini to play with.. I'm on my 3rd or 4th lathe now, and really thought
that the SS was a nice lathe until I spent $250 for the mini..

It's so quiet that I used to turn at 5 am and the family never heard it.. Lovely
little (10" bowl max) lathe..quiet, very stable, etc.

I'm a professional turner now and still use the SS a lot, just not for a
lathe... Can't beat in, IMO, for a drill press, especially in the horizontal
setup, with the 12" sanding disk on the other end..
There's no other machine in my shop that I'd drill pen blanks and stuff on, and
I love the routing capabilities on the beast..
I've been trying to wear out or kill the SS since 1981 and it just keeps roaring
along..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:11:57 -0500, mac davis wrote
(in message ):

wrote:

[...]

Mac, thanks for your reply and information about the lathe, but my problem is
that my shop space is so small that I had to decide what machinery I'd put in
it. I had room for one machine only. Hence, the SS. I know it has
limitations. Each of its various incarnations has limitations. Like me, it is
not great at any one thing it does, but it serves my needs reasonably well at
anything I ask of it, within its limitations. *sigh*
Thanks, hey.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the incurable addiction we all call "Woodturning"... :-)

CA's as others have pointed is the abbreviated name for Cyanoacrylate
Adhesives, aka "Super Glue." The more technical common name is alkyl
2-Cyanoacrylates. I wrote an in-depth article on CA's that you might like to
peruse for more information:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...acrylates.html

I get the same error message at the link to the woodturning book. Perhaps
the link has changed and the page has not been updated? There are numerous
references to gouge grinds on the Internet. My website has several examples
as well. One thing you will learn is that although there are "standardized"
names for many different types of grinds, there can also be different names
for the same grind. :-o

For example, I have seen a traditional round nose scraper grind also called
a full round, a bullnose, a fingernail and a complete round by various
woodturners around the country. It's the same thing, but with different
names. It can be a little confusing at first... Some newer tool grinds are
slightly different from the "traditional" grinds, thus different names are
used to distinguish them.

Bowl gouges are a great example, there are many different variations of a
traditional Irish grind and lots of different names are used to classify the
various differences. Some of the names relate to the same grind but are
known by different names in different parts of the country. Others names do
in fact relate to different designs in the shape of the grind. Irish ground
bowl gouges can be referred to as lay back grind, swing back, swept back,
drawn back, Ellsworth, wing back and my own "Texas Irish" grind to name a
few.

It's enough to make your head spin... :-o To help you learn more, check out
my website www.woodturningvideosplus.com where you can find more than 60
free original woodturning educational articles on various topics that will
help you get up to speed. I also have a free monthly newsletter "Lathe Talk"
that offers lots of tips and tricks to make woodturning easier and more
enjoyable. There is a lot to learn in woodturning, but that's half the fun!

If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Take care and
best wishes to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/21/08 6:02 PM, in article
, "tom koehler"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:16:09 -0500, Steve Russell wrote
(in message ):

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the incurable addiction we all call "Woodturning"... :-)

CA's as others have pointed is the abbreviated name for Cyanoacrylate
Adhesives, aka "Super Glue." The more technical common name is alkyl
2-Cyanoacrylates. I wrote an in-depth article on CA's that you might like to
peruse for more information:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...acrylates.html

I get the same error message at the link to the woodturning book. Perhaps
the link has changed and the page has not been updated? There are numerous
references to gouge grinds on the Internet. My website has several examples
as well. One thing you will learn is that although there are "standardized"
names for many different types of grinds, there can also be different names
for the same grind. :-o

snip some tex for brevity...
Thanks for your reply, Steve. I have started studying your website, and am
happy to find so much info there. Will check out the CA piece. I did find the
wood turning book at the Gutenberg site and it is now safely tucked away in
my 'puter.
Am starting to do a bit more experimenting with some green wood turning
exercises, using local birch I have good access to. Am going to try boiling
up a couple of pieces, too, just to see what happens. I am keeping my
projects small by most folks' standards. So far, I have done a small bowl,
turned green and then dried in a small convection oven. Have the heat on at
150 deg.F. for about 15 minues, and then let the oven cool back to ambient.
Cyle the oven off and on like this a few times each day, with the door open a
bit, to let the moisture out. First bowl was dry in 2 days, some checking on
the exposed end grain, but relatively minor. The beat goes on...
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:21:51 -0500, tom koehler
wrote:

Mac, thanks for your reply and information about the lathe, but my problem is
that my shop space is so small that I had to decide what machinery I'd put in
it. I had room for one machine only. Hence, the SS. I know it has
limitations. Each of its various incarnations has limitations. Like me, it is
not great at any one thing it does, but it serves my needs reasonably well at
anything I ask of it, within its limitations. *sigh*
Thanks, hey.
tom koehler

Tom.. that's one of the beauties of the mini.. It's 24" long and weighs about 60
lbs..
You can keep it on a shelf and put it on a workmate or saw horse when you want
to use it..

Mine's used mostly for a pen buffer now, and it's on a swing out shelf under a
work table..
When the kids are here, we just set it up out in the carport on the workmate and
let 'em make shavings..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Tom,

Glad to be of help... If you continue your convection drying, I would try to
inhibit the moisture loss through the exposed endgrain areas on your bowl. A
simple wrap of aluminium foil should do the trick. Wrap the outside and
inside areas (loop over the rim), leaving the side grain area exposed. This
should help to eliminate fissures on the endgrain.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/24/08 1:06 PM, in article
, "tom koehler"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you. I did my first bowl on a
lathe in my high school lab back in 1952. That was also my last one until I
bought my Shopsmith in 1986. I made a fair amount of small furniture such
as file cabinets, end tables, coffee tables, bookcases, etc. I decided to
give wood turning a shot and I found that it worked pretty well. It was
much improved after I got the new tool holder attachment. I turned many
bowls (mostly segmented bowls) over the following 10 years. Last winter I
bought a Jet 1442 and am doing all my turning on that at present (it is a
little easier as it is taller than the SS and I don't have to bend over as
much.

I am going to give a site where you can view some of my bowls. Most are
segmented but a few are staghorn summac from my back yard and silver maple
from a friends yard.

The site is http://www.drop.io/rjdaun2. Clicking on the link should take
you there. Clicking on the pictures will give a larger view.

Hope you enjoy.

Bob
"Canchippy" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 7:02 pm, tom koehler
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:52:50 -0600, Bob Daun wrote
[...]

thanks for your posting. I will check out your site. Some sumac grows around
here, but it is never larger than brush or shrub.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.