Old October 26th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default introducing new reader here

Hello Tom,

Glad to be of help... If you continue your convection drying, I would try to
inhibit the moisture loss through the exposed endgrain areas on your bowl. A
simple wrap of aluminium foil should do the trick. Wrap the outside and
inside areas (loop over the rim), leaving the side grain area exposed. This
should help to eliminate fissures on the endgrain.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/24/08 1:06 PM, in article
, "tom koehler"
wrote:

snip some tex for brevity...
Thanks for your reply, Steve. I have started studying your website, and am
happy to find so much info there. Will check out the CA piece. I did find the
wood turning book at the Gutenberg site and it is now safely tucked away in
my 'puter.
Am starting to do a bit more experimenting with some green wood turning
exercises, using local birch I have good access to. Am going to try boiling
up a couple of pieces, too, just to see what happens. I am keeping my
projects small by most folks' standards. So far, I have done a small bowl,
turned green and then dried in a small convection oven. Have the heat on at
150 deg.F. for about 15 minues, and then let the oven cool back to ambient.
Cyle the oven off and on like this a few times each day, with the door open a
bit, to let the moisture out. First bowl was dry in 2 days, some checking on
the exposed end grain, but relatively minor. The beat goes on...
tom koehler

Old October 31st 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you. I did my first bowl on a
lathe in my high school lab back in 1952. That was also my last one until I
bought my Shopsmith in 1986. I made a fair amount of small furniture such
as file cabinets, end tables, coffee tables, bookcases, etc. I decided to
give wood turning a shot and I found that it worked pretty well. It was
much improved after I got the new tool holder attachment. I turned many
bowls (mostly segmented bowls) over the following 10 years. Last winter I
bought a Jet 1442 and am doing all my turning on that at present (it is a
little easier as it is taller than the SS and I don't have to bend over as
much.

I am going to give a site where you can view some of my bowls. Most are
segmented but a few are staghorn summac from my back yard and silver maple
from a friends yard.

The site is http://www.drop.io/rjdaun2. Clicking on the link should take
you there. Clicking on the pictures will give a larger view.

Hope you enjoy.

Bob
"Canchippy" wrote in message
On Oct 21, 7:02 pm, tom koehler
wrote:
I'm tom koehler, from Two Harbors Minnesota. Retired last year from 32
years
on the railroad as a trackworker (primary job in the track dep't was
track
welder). I have been making sawdust in my very small basement with a
Shopsmith for 35 years. I am aware of most of its shortcomings as a
lathe,
tablesaw, drill press and anything lese asked of it, but by golly with
the
space I have, it is my only recourse. As a consequence, I live by the
words
of a tagline in a popular song of some years ago, "If you can't have the
tools you love, then love the tools you're with..." or something like
that.

I have found that if my block of wood is not perfectly balanced, the SS
will
dance a pretty jig, when I am not in the mood for dancing. As mentioned
here
in another thread, the speed reducer for the SS is kind of a kludge, but
if
used with smaller blocks, the work is manageable.
I'm self-taught on the lathe, from books - mostly "The Wood-Turning
Lathe" by
Haines, Adams, et al. pub. 1952, Van Nostrand. This was my dad's book. He
had
a SS from that period, and I remeber watching him in his little garage
shop,
making some Keene's cement lamps from one of the projects in this book.

My lathe work has been mainly smallish things of a wide variety, mostly
between centers. I have done some faceplate work, split turnings (brown
paper
and white glue) and chuck work with purpose-make friction-fit wood
chucks.

I'll scan through and read postings on this NG on a regular basis, to
pick up
useful bits of info, and try to post stuff if it is within my realm of
experience. From what I have read here so far, you folks are some pretty
serious turners and way the heck out of my league, so am not sure what I
can
contribute of value to you. I will have plenty of questions, though.

first Q: what is "CA"? I keep seeing references to it, with no idea
exacctly
what it is. I have not seen references to a FAQ for this NG, so will
gladly
go to it, if there is one.

second Q: I tried going
tohttp://www.shopss.net/books/WoodTurning/CourseWoodTurning.htmlto get a
gander at the book referred to, but could not get in. Message said I
didn't
have clearance or permission, or similar message. Another person in this
NG
apparently ahs this same book on his website, but no reference where that
site was. Am interested in looking at this book, I think, so am hoping to
get
pointed in the right direction.

third Q: refers to a particular type of grind on a bowl turning gouge.
Ah, I
am in pretty near perfect woodturner's isolation here, folks, so will
need a
more thorough background in bowl turning gouge technology, here, I think.
My
tool set is limited so far, to a set of basic Craftsman turning tools a
couple of home-brew tools, and a hefty gouge I bought from a tool catalog
many years ago. Has a peculiar looking (to me, anyway) grind on its end -
intended for bowl work. I've had mixed results with it, and so will be
looking for a clue, again.

Enough for now, so here is a virtual shot and a beer for you if you want
it,
for getting this far. Thanks for your time.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Hi Tom,
always glad to see a new name so welcome aboard.
CA glue is crazy glue or Cyano Acrylate glue. Lots of different brand
names but a quick search on Google will fill you in.
I can't get into the book site either.
Grinds on gouges there are lots of write ups and how to's along with
pictures etc. Again do a Google for "gouge grind" and about 250 pages
come up.
hope this helps :-)

Old November 3rd 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:52:50 -0600, Bob Daun wrote
(in message ) :

[...]

thanks for your posting. I will check out your site. Some sumac grows around
here, but it is never larger than brush or shrub.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.