Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Belt for Myford Mystro

Hi gang,

I own a Myford Mystro lathe, replacing the belt is a big hassle. the
bearing has to be taken out and the pulley and spindle have to moved before
you can replace the belt. The belt is a poly-v belt ( flat belt with lots
of little V-Grooves on the underside) about a half inch wide.

Can anyone tell me if this belt can be replaced with a link belt? Would
save a lot of bother if it can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Oct 14, 4:50 am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
Hi gang,

I own a Myford Mystro lathe, replacing the belt is a big hassle. the
bearing has to be taken out and the pulley and spindle have to moved before
you can replace the belt. The belt is a poly-v belt ( flat belt with lots
of little V-Grooves on the underside) about a half inch wide.

Can anyone tell me if this belt can be replaced with a link belt? Would
save a lot of bother if it can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

I don't think so because your pulleys will have lots of little V
grooves as well and a link belt only needs 1 big one.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Tom
Tom you do need the traction the small v sides give to the belt, a
link-belt just wont work for you here.
If you search this group you will find several persons that have the
same question, and yes it is a pain to pull the lathe all apart, but
that's all the choices you have unfortunately;, I have a nephew that
has a small Myford metal lathe, and he was complaining about the same
thing, though he does like the lathe.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Oct 14, 3:50*am, "Tom Dougall" wrote:
Hi gang,

I own a Myford Mystro lathe, *replacing the belt is a big hassle. *the
bearing has to be taken out and the pulley and spindle have to moved before
you can replace the belt. * *The belt is a poly-v belt ( flat belt with lots
of little V-Grooves on the underside) about a half inch wide.

Can anyone tell me if this belt can be replaced with a link belt? *Would
save a lot of bother if it can. * Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the advice, I live only a few miles from the Myford factory, so
I popped down and bought a new poly-v belt. The gentleman in the spares
dept. explained in detail how to change the belt, and even gave me the 1/4
inch B.S.F stud needed to remove the spindle collar. Now for the hassle of
changing it.

Tom.
"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
Hi gang,

I own a Myford Mystro lathe, replacing the belt is a big hassle. the
bearing has to be taken out and the pulley and spindle have to moved
before you can replace the belt. The belt is a poly-v belt ( flat belt
with lots of little V-Grooves on the underside) about a half inch wide.

Can anyone tell me if this belt can be replaced with a link belt? Would
save a lot of bother if it can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:53:12 +0100, "Tom Dougall"
wrote:

[...]

Hoping Tom Dougall is still reading this. I just discovered Myford is
out of business, and I can't find my manual showing how to disassemble
headstock. I think I need to clean out old grease and re-lubricate it.
(I do have the stud for access--found it in Maryland.)
Hoping someone has a copy they could copy for me.

TIA,,,Bill Day

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom wrote in message
Hi gang,

I own a Myford Mystro lathe, replacing the belt is a big hassle. the
bearing has to be taken out and the pulley and spindle have to moved
before you can replace the belt. The belt is a poly-v belt ( flat belt
with lots of little V-Grooves on the underside) about a half inch wide.

Can anyone tell me if this belt can be replaced with a link belt? Would
save a lot of bother if it can. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

Hoping Tom Dougall is still reading this. I just discovered Myford is
out of business, and I can't find my manual showing how to disassemble
headstock. I think I need to clean out old grease and re-lubricate it.
(I do have the stud for access--found it in Maryland.)
Hoping someone has a copy they could copy for me.

TIA,,,Bill Day

Myford is back in business, under new ownership but not making new
machines yet - they may be able to supply a manual (
www.myford.co.uk)

Tony Griffiths (www.lathes.co.uk) may also be able to help - keeps a lot
of Myford paperwork

Good luck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Norman Billingham wrote:
Myford is back in business, under new ownership but not making new
machines yet - they may be able to supply a manual (www.myford.co.uk)

Yes, when Myford went under, the name and all remaining spares were bought
up by RDG tools; not something a lot of people were particularly pleased
about because RDG were one of the outfits selling cheap chinese copies of
Myford spares, so possibly assisted in their demise.

I believe they are still selling these but set up a separate company, as
linked to by yourself, to sell genuine stuff. I don't think there are any
former Myford employees involved in this and I hope there will be no
"blurring" of the boundaries if stocks of genuine parts become low.

RDG are at http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

I understand RDG have all the drawings and patterns but all the factory
machinery was auctioned off. Whether Myford lathes will ever be
manufactured is not know though it has been suggested as a long term
possibility

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I don't remember whether you bought the lathe, but it is likely. In any case, you are right that it is not easy to change to a new belt, but while it might be theoretically possible to change to a linking v-belt, I would guess that it would cost more than you want to pay. Even if cost were no object, you would end up with a lathe that had a much higher low speed. Look at the smallest pulley on the motor and imagine how much bigger it would have to be. The poly v belt is easy to buy these days and should last a long time--unless you put it in the wrong groove. So, yes it is a pain to change, but you should not have to change it very often. Mine has seen 20 years of use. Note that Myford no longer makes new lathes, but may still have some parts. I have enough spare parts for mine, and they will go with the lathe if ever sold.
Russ Zimmerman

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/woodtur...tro-47085-.htm

Electrical problem on Myford Mystro Tom Dougall Woodturning 1 April 3rd 07 01:42 PM
PING: Myford steamer Metalworking 6 October 8th 05 12:24 AM
Myford ML 8 Ken Woodturning 8 October 7th 05 06:51 AM
Myford Clutch Salamanda Metalworking 1 March 9th 05 05:04 PM
Myford Lathe FS soon Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 0 February 14th 05 08:42 PM