Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default How do you sharpen your tools?

I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sep 27, 11:32*pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. *Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. *Any recommendations?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I have a slow speed grinder and use a white wheel for grinding..I also
use a wolerine sharpen sytem with this grinder... works well.
The system helps me get the correct angle on the tools.
I also sometimes use my belt sander. I have a 1" belt sander , which I
have belt, I purchased from lee valley made for sharpening knives. It
also works great for putting a good edge on some tools
Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:59:33 -0700 (PDT), randyswoodshoop
wrote:

On Sep 27, 11:32*pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. *Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. *Any recommendations?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I have a slow speed grinder and use a white wheel for grinding..I also
use a wolerine sharpen sytem with this grinder... works well.
The system helps me get the correct angle on the tools.
I also sometimes use my belt sander. I have a 1" belt sander , which I
have belt, I purchased from lee valley made for sharpening knives. It
also works great for putting a good edge on some tools
Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Same setup I have. Check the speed on your cheap grinder - good chance
it's 3600 rpm and you need a slower speed for sharpening.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:32:57 -0400, errfrsdaf wrote:

I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?

I have a high speed grinder with white wheels, 80 and 120 grit...
I'm waiting for my new grinder to get here, this one:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4605

It was on sale last month for $85 and an additional $15 coupon was offered..
That pretty much translated to buying 2 new wheels (which I needed) and getting
a free grinder..

I use the Tru-grind jig for most everything but skews and scrapers, but it will
do those too..
http://tinyurl.com/3qn66p

The old grinder is my wife's, so I've put up with a high speed grinder for years
as the price was right... But the deal on the Woodcraft grinder was too good to
pass up..

She also has a 1" x 42" belt sander/grinder, which I use for all my scrapers..
I leave the table set to the angle I sharpen the scrapers, so I can just walk up
and give them a quick pass and be back turning..

As to the cheap tools, I use a lot of them.. I buy $25 bowl gouges and go
through a couple a year...
Cheap or expensive, they only work well if you have a good edge and keep it
sharp..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Several years ago I bought the same grinder that Mac has. I am on my
second 120 grit wheel. The price is right and it works great. I also
use the Wolverine system. For grinding my fingernail bowl gouges I
have adapted the Ellsworth jig using a riser block in the Wolverine
cradle. This small block brings the pivot point to the correct height
on an 8 inch grinding wheel. Works for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use an 80 grit aluminum oxide wheel in a regular grinder and a home made
jig. The white wheels are aluminum oxide in a very friable matrix and they
wear too fast for my taste. With a jig and high speed steel tools a low
speed grinder is not necessary (boy am I going to get flack for that one).
There is nothing wrong with most cheap tools. Just look for M2 HSS or
better. You can see my setup at http://aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html

Darrell

--
¼á
"Ted" wrote in message
Several years ago I bought the same grinder that Mac has. I am on my
second 120 grit wheel. The price is right and it works great. I also
use the Wolverine system. For grinding my fingernail bowl gouges I
have adapted the Ellsworth jig using a riser block in the Wolverine
cradle. This small block brings the pivot point to the correct height
on an 8 inch grinding wheel. Works for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I want to get a slow one, but have three already at this time :-)

I normally use hand stones for my gouges - I have inside and outside curves
"cone" looking stones. The others on India and Arkansas hand/bench
stones. I use power only to do master shapes or take out nicks or crashes.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

randyswoodshoop wrote:
On Sep 27, 11:32 pm, errfrsdaf wrote:
I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

I have a slow speed grinder and use a white wheel for grinding..I also
use a wolerine sharpen sytem with this grinder... works well.
The system helps me get the correct angle on the tools.
I also sometimes use my belt sander. I have a 1" belt sander , which I
have belt, I purchased from lee valley made for sharpening knives. It
also works great for putting a good edge on some tools
Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a related question:

I use the woodcraft slow grinder with a home made jig based on Darrel's
design. It works well, except:

When I go back to touch up an edge and reload my gouge into the holder, you
have to attach the holder part of the jig to the exact same spot on the
shaft of the gauge, or the geometry of the bevel changes, requiring removal
of more material than otherwise necessary.

It does not appear as though commercial jigs are immune to this problem. Is
this true and have anyone found any tricks to mitigate this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

"Ted" wrote in message
Several years ago I bought the same grinder that Mac has. I am on my
second 120 grit wheel. The price is right and it works great. I also
use the Wolverine system. For grinding my fingernail bowl gouges I
have adapted the Ellsworth jig using a riser block in the Wolverine
cradle. This small block brings the pivot point to the correct height
on an 8 inch grinding wheel. Works for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

As the amount of protrusion from the clamp is what sets the geometry of
the tip, You just need a simple way of setting the protrusion, like a
depth gauge, or a marker on the bench even an "L" shaped piece of wood
if you want portable

In message , StephenM
writes
I have a related question:

I use the woodcraft slow grinder with a home made jig based on Darrel's
design. It works well, except:

When I go back to touch up an edge and reload my gouge into the holder, you
have to attach the holder part of the jig to the exact same spot on the
shaft of the gauge, or the geometry of the bevel changes, requiring removal
of more material than otherwise necessary.

It does not appear as though commercial jigs are immune to this problem. Is
this true and have anyone found any tricks to mitigate this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:59:04 -0400, "StephenM"
wrote:

Steve...
I'm thinking that my Tru-grind is pretty much typical?

I have a block of wood at the base of my grinder that's something like 2" from
the edge of the table.. It's whatever Tru-grind suggests..
I put the gouge in the jig loosely, line it up with the table/block and
tighten..
Next step is, (before you turn the grinder on), to put the jig and tool in the
grinding position and see if the bevel is hitting the wheel at the right angle..

Sounds like a PITA, but it becomes automatic and only takes about a minute..

"Ted" wrote in message
Several years ago I bought the same grinder that Mac has. I am on my
second 120 grit wheel. The price is right and it works great. I also
use the Wolverine system. For grinding my fingernail bowl gouges I
have adapted the Ellsworth jig using a riser block in the Wolverine
cradle. This small block brings the pivot point to the correct height
on an 8 inch grinding wheel. Works for me.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I too use a hole drilled in a wooden block at a 2 inch depth to make
sure that the end of the bowl gouge is extended to the same length
each time.

But also, on my Wolverine setup, I have a small hose clamp on the
slide that holds the cradle used for my Ellsworth jig. It is
tightened to the exact spot for grinding my bowl gouge. Most of the
other tools that I grind on that side of the grinder need more length
so I can pull the slide out to grind those tools. When I am done I
can push the slide back to the exact spot for grinding my bowl gouge
and it will stop where the hose clamp is attached.

Hope that makes sense. Its actually easier the use than it is to
explain in words.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"StephenM" writes:

It does not appear as though commercial jigs are immune to this problem. Is
this true and have anyone found any tricks to mitigate this problem?

There are ways to do this. You can make a spacer jig to help you
determine distance from the tip to the place the holder grips the
tool.

Think: block of wood of length X with hole through middle.

Tormek makes a nifty one for their system. They also provide labels to
put on each tool to make it easier to apply the same bevel twice.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello,

Here is a link to an article that I wrote that offers some
recommendations...

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...ing-tools.html

Norton wheels are very good quality, but are a wee bit more expensive than
some of the other brands of wheels. If you have any questions, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

On 9/27/08 11:32 PM, in article ,
"errfrsdaf" wrote:

I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:14:44 -0700, "cm" wrote:

I've upgraded/improved my sharpening equipment several times, but it hasn't
improved my sharpening skill much...
My guess is that your friend could get a better edge with a foot powered
grinding wheel then I can with my 3 grinders, sharpening jigs, etc... ;-[

"errfrsdaf" wrote in message
I've been using a cheap grinder with a cheap wheel
sharpening cheap tools. Sorry it's all I have!

But I do want to put a better wheel (a finer one too)
on my grinder. Any recommendations?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 09:34 PM
Good how-to-sharpen-tools web site. Billy Smith Woodworking 5 February 4th 06 10:59 AM
How to sharpen Gouge buck Woodturning 13 February 20th 05 10:14 PM
How do you sharpen planer blades ????????? [email protected] Woodworking 8 January 21st 05 05:40 PM
How do you sharpen a drawknife? GBsCards Woodworking 5 January 27th 04 03:58 PM