DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Doorknobs (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/237423-doorknobs.html)

Kevin March 12th 08 02:55 PM

Doorknobs

We have all seen them - doorknobs. And we have all seen some pretty
nice looking ones in older houses. You remember the clear ones with
the facets cut to resemble a fine piece of crystal; perhaps the white
porceline ones with the painted blue flowers on the door to the
bathroom.
I did a search on this group and found one dated to 2002 that came,
errr, kinda close. A turner related a story about turning some
spalted birch/beech door handles.
Has anyone ever turned and successfully used actual doorknobs? The
idea was prompted by a discussion here about what people collect.

Leo Lichtman March 12th 08 04:00 PM

Doorknobs

"Kevin" wrote: (clip) Has anyone ever turned and successfully used actual
doorknobs? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've never actually turned one, but I have use a number of old door knobs as
cane heads.

Arch March 12th 08 04:31 PM

Doorknobs

Leo, thanks for a great tip. I plan to plariagize your cane head idea
later today. I have used small salad bowls as kitchen door and drawer
knobs.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Canchippy March 14th 08 02:54 AM

Doorknobs

On Mar 12, 10:55 am, Kevin wrote:
We have all seen them - doorknobs. And we have all seen some pretty
nice looking ones in older houses. You remember the clear ones with
the facets cut to resemble a fine piece of crystal; perhaps the white
porceline ones with the painted blue flowers on the door to the
bathroom.
I did a search on this group and found one dated to 2002 that came,
errr, kinda close. A turner related a story about turning some
spalted birch/beech door handles.
Has anyone ever turned and successfully used actual doorknobs? The
idea was prompted by a discussion here about what people collect.

Yes I turned doorknos. Oval ones in diminishing sizes to fit in with a
forced perspective stage show. They were turned out of maple and
finished with chrome paint. The hardest part was the sleel sleeves and
grub screws needed to hold the knobs on the spindles so the latches
worked
Can be seen he
http://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll?c=C...tentclass=PICT

Kevin March 14th 08 04:26 PM

Doorknobs

On Mar 13, 10:54 pm, Canchippy wrote:
Thanks for the link Canchippy but following it leads to a login
page.

Can be seen hehttp://www.thewows.com/isapi.dll?c=C...eid=G6kOAI&con...