DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood identification help (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/230984-wood-identification-help.html)

John January 22nd 08 05:11 PM

Wood identification help

I picked up several logs today, had been told it was Ash. The odd thing
I noticed is that the cut ends on some of the logs have taken on quite a
rather dark pink tinge in a little over 8 Hours.
I haven't been able to find reference to Ash and pink, so was wondering
if anyone here has seen it, or should I be looking to identify it as
something else.
--
John

Dr. Deb[_2_] January 22nd 08 07:00 PM

Wood identification help

John wrote:

I picked up several logs today, had been told it was Ash. The odd thing
I noticed is that the cut ends on some of the logs have taken on quite a
rather dark pink tinge in a little over 8 Hours.
I haven't been able to find reference to Ash and pink, so was wondering
if anyone here has seen it, or should I be looking to identify it as
something else.

Depending on where it is from, ash can have a pinkish hue. Here in central
Alabama, north of a line about 2/3'rds of the way down, ash has a pinkish
hue. South of that line it has a blue hue and in the Panhandle of Florida
it can have a dark brown hue.

From what I understand, this is caused by a fungus and has no adverse effect
on the wood, except for the coloration.

Deb

John January 22nd 08 07:23 PM

Wood identification help

In message , Dr. Deb
writes
John wrote:

I picked up several logs today, had been told it was Ash. The odd thing
I noticed is that the cut ends on some of the logs have taken on quite a
rather dark pink tinge in a little over 8 Hours.
I haven't been able to find reference to Ash and pink, so was wondering
if anyone here has seen it, or should I be looking to identify it as
something else.

Depending on where it is from, ash can have a pinkish hue. Here in central
Alabama, north of a line about 2/3'rds of the way down, ash has a pinkish
hue. South of that line it has a blue hue and in the Panhandle of Florida
it can have a dark brown hue.

From what I understand, this is caused by a fungus and has no adverse effect
on the wood, except for the coloration.

Deb

Not sure where I fall into on that scale as I am South UK :)

But at least it can be pink:) I will have a look in the morning to see
how much darker it has got
--
John

charlieb January 23rd 08 03:05 AM

Wood identification help

I got some fresh cut european sycamore that bled orange
when left standing on end. Sliced it up on the bandsaw and
got light orange rough boards - some with a nice salmon
color. (2 photos at the bottom of the following page)

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/R...nalSawing.html

Within a month all the color was gone. Did get some medullary
rayed pieces - but no orange, or salmon or even a hint of pink.

charlie b

[email protected] January 23rd 08 01:47 PM

Wood identification help

John - In UK anyway , fresh cut ash will go a bit pink , but it will
mellow back to a cream / brown

John January 23rd 08 04:44 PM

Wood identification help

In message
,
writes
John - In UK anyway , fresh cut ash will go a bit pink , but it will
mellow back to a cream / brown

Hi Geoff, many thanks. I chopped some of the logs with the chainsaw
today and inside it was as I would expect Ash to be, but I did notice
within minutes the new cut was starting to turn pink. Some of the
pieces that had been cut before had nearly got to red
--
John