DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman 15" lathe... Knob for opening the back? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/214576-craftsman-15-lathe-knob-opening-back.html)

Toller September 15th 07 10:04 PM

Craftsman 15" lathe... Knob for opening the back?

The thing I dislike the most about this (other than the partly broken power
switch, but that is how I was able to get it new for $80, so I won't
complain...) is having to take that crappy allen head screw out to open the
back and lock the spindle. Couldn't they have designed that better, or at
least put a knob on rather than a screw.

Which brings me to my question; why not a knob? I have one that fits and is
a whole lot easier than trying to find the allen wrench. But since they
didn't put a knob there, I am concerned that maybe there is a reason. Any
ideas?

Darrell Feltmate September 15th 07 10:30 PM

Craftsman 15" lathe... Knob for opening the back?

No reason why not. I just glued a strip of Velcro on mine. It is faster and
works fine.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Brad September 18th 07 05:27 PM

On Sep 15, 5:04 pm, "Toller" wrote:
The thing I dislike the most about this (other than the partly broken power
switch, but that is how I was able to get it new for $80, so I won't
complain...) is having to take that crappy allen head screw out to open the
back and lock the spindle. Couldn't they have designed that better, or at
least put a knob on rather than a screw.

Which brings me to my question; why not a knob? I have one that fits and is
a whole lot easier than trying to find the allen wrench. But since they
didn't put a knob there, I am concerned that maybe there is a reason. Any
ideas?

I used a magnet catch to hold mine.
Brad