DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Round stock on band saw - THANK YOU Darrell! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/210327-round-stock-band-saw-thank-you-darrell.html)

mac davis August 9th 07 05:38 PM

Round stock on band saw - THANK YOU Darrell!

As I was browsing www.aroundhthewoods.com this morning for inspiration, I went
through some of Master Feltmate's turning tips..

Clicked on the "cutting round objects on the band saw" or whatever, expecting
yet another jig to build..

Saw a picture of a branch with a bar clamp on it, keeping the limb form
rotating.... Hmmmmm..

What a simple but effective solution to a common problem!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Darrell Feltmate August 9th 07 10:26 PM

Round stock on band saw - THANK YOU Darrell!

Mac
You are welcome. I must admit when I thought of it I smacked myself in the
forehead and said "duh!" :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Maxwell Lol August 10th 07 01:33 AM

mac davis writes:

As I was browsing www.aroundhthewoods.com this morning for inspiration,

Oops! typo.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/tips02.shtml#tip12

Gerald Ross August 10th 07 01:49 AM

mac davis wrote:
As I was browsing www.aroundhthewoods.com this morning for inspiration, I went
through some of Master Feltmate's turning tips..

Clicked on the "cutting round objects on the band saw" or whatever, expecting
yet another jig to build..

Saw a picture of a branch with a bar clamp on it, keeping the limb form
rotating.... Hmmmmm..

What a simple but effective solution to a common problem!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

For larger logs that are hard to clamp, I put a short board across the
end and fasten it temporarily with two screws.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The large print giveth and the small
print taketh away.

mac davis August 10th 07 05:50 PM

Round stock on band saw - THANK YOU Darrell!

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:26:45 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Mac
You are welcome. I must admit when I thought of it I smacked myself in the
forehead and said "duh!" :-)

Exactly!

I just freed up some wall space by getting rid of a few jigs that I'd built and
didn't really like..

mac davis August 10th 07 05:53 PM

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:49:33 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

mac davis wrote:
As I was browsing www.aroundhthewoods.com this morning for inspiration, I went
through some of Master Feltmate's turning tips..

Clicked on the "cutting round objects on the band saw" or whatever, expecting
yet another jig to build..

Saw a picture of a branch with a bar clamp on it, keeping the limb form
rotating.... Hmmmmm..

What a simple but effective solution to a common problem!

For larger logs that are hard to clamp, I put a short board across the
end and fasten it temporarily with two screws.

I've done a little of that, but since I took off the shop-built table, my 14"
table runs out of room for much more than a clamp to rest on..