DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Record RPML Lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/205676-record-rpml-lathe.html)

Anthony July 6th 07 02:06 PM

Record RPML Lathe

Hi,
I am using one of the bench mounted lathes from Record, having fun learning
(usually from my mistakes!)trying to get as much practice as possible
turning green wood to get a 'feel' for the tools and wood. But the more I
turn, the quicker I become, I run into something that bugs me.

The lathe above has bolts to adjust the toolrest and tailstock, adjusting
these is becoming a chore, and I am looking for a cam/quick adjust system,
does any body know of a sytem I can purchase for this lathe? (or have any
ideas about adaptation), I have been onto Record but they were little help.
Forgot to say I am in the UK, so Uk suppliers probably best but will buy
from abroard.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

George July 6th 07 02:34 PM

Record RPML Lathe

"Anthony" wrote in message
Hi,
I am using one of the bench mounted lathes from Record, having fun
learning (usually from my mistakes!)trying to get as much practice as
possible turning green wood to get a 'feel' for the tools and wood. But
the more I turn, the quicker I become, I run into something that bugs me.

The lathe above has bolts to adjust the toolrest and tailstock, adjusting
these is becoming a chore, and I am looking for a cam/quick adjust system,
does any body know of a sytem I can purchase for this lathe? (or have any
ideas about adaptation), I have been onto Record but they were little
help. Forgot to say I am in the UK, so Uk suppliers probably best but will
buy from abroard.

How about the ratcheting box wrenches they sell pretty much everywhere? I
use one for my steady, and it's a great item. Granted, I have to pull it
out from the drawer (or the shavings) rather than use as it's there, but it
cuts down on clearance frustration.

SAE or metric should be available, but you're on your own for Whitworth!

William Noble July 7th 07 06:27 AM

Record RPML Lathe

it may be possible to adapt a vice grip type plier to clamp the banjo - i
wouldn't use that on the tail stock though - but the banjo doesn't need much
force to stay in place

Anthony July 13th 07 01:25 PM

Record RPML Lathe

Thanks George and William, for your ideas. I have tried the Vice grip and
ratchet and both make the task quicker, but I still have to reach over the
workpiece to make adjustments,(if I am making sense ) and its still a pain
in the butt! :). I am after something I can buy or adapt to make the changes
to position from 'my' side of the lathe. Thanks for your ideas I will use
them untill I manage to get a part. Thanks again.
Anthony

William Noble July 13th 07 02:29 PM

Record RPML Lathe

in one of the metal working magazines, about a year ago, there was an
article on converting the tailstock of a metal lathe in the way you wish -
might be worth looking at - I think it was home shop machinist, but I'm not
positive

[email protected] July 13th 07 09:41 PM

Record RPML Lathe

Hi Anthony

You could use a cam handle, or make one (need some metal working
equipment) I have link here, as to some that are available, good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/3d6y2p

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

[email protected] July 14th 07 05:43 AM