Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Pilot hole drill bit and driver combo

Not sure if this interests anyone, but it did me.

Watching Norm always makes me go out and try new toys. I was
especially interested in the combo set he has that he uses on his PC
drill to Pilot and counter bore holes and then to drive the screws,
all with very little tool change.

I have tried the Ryobi (garbage), DeWalt (umm, slow and cumberson) and
the Hitatchi (works well but the dill bits must be torqued down like
the suspension bolts on my Jeep.

Last night I found the exact tool that he uses. www.jackrabbittool.com
sells their Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set for $59.95. My order will go in
next week.

If anyone has this and has tried it, please let me know what you think
of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 13, 9:45 am, Neillarson wrote:
If anyone has this and has tried it, please let me know what you think
of it.

I would have to save a lot of time to justify a $60 replacement for a
$10 tool.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 13, 9:49 am, Olebiker wrote:
On Jun 13, 9:45 am, Neillarson wrote:

If anyone has this and has tried it, please let me know what you think
of it.

I would have to save a lot of time to justify a $60 replacement for a
$10 tool.

I look at it like planes, chisles and hand saws, I can do the job with
the cheap ones but the good ones are a pure joy to use. Any of the
drill/driver combos out there are at least 30 bucks, so I am
personally happy with 60.

Thanks for your input and may we soon disagree again :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 06:45:36 -0700, Neillarson
wrote:

Not sure if this interests anyone, but it did me.

Watching Norm always makes me go out and try new toys. I was
especially interested in the combo set he has that he uses on his PC
drill to Pilot and counter bore holes and then to drive the screws,
all with very little tool change.

I have tried the Ryobi (garbage), DeWalt (umm, slow and cumberson) and
the Hitatchi (works well but the dill bits must be torqued down like
the suspension bolts on my Jeep.

Not to dissuade you from the Jack Rabbit set, as I'm sure it's a great
tool, but how much faster and easier do you really expect it to be
than the DeWalt quick change? It'd almost have to read your mind and
levitate the bit you need up into the drill on it's own!

I have to wonder if you're really thinking of the quick change, which
is an adapter that chucks into the drill, and not the standard keyless
chuck. If you're thinking of the chuck itself, than any quick-change
adapter is likely to be an improvement.

Now, don't get me wrong- DeWalt's tools are nice, but the quality of
their bits and blades leave a lot to be desired. They aren't really
high end, but they *do* have the advantage of being availible almost
everywhere, and the quick change adapter accepts a hex shank that is
common to most drivers and countersinks. If you strip a driver head,
they've got replacements that fit the DeWalt next to almost every
hardware store cash register there is- it doesn't look the the Jack
Rabbit has the same kind of interchangability (though I could
certainly be wrong there.) The only real downside to the system is
that you need to buy hex-shank drill bits- a PITA if you've already
got a nice index.

Last night I found the exact tool that he uses. www.jackrabbittool.com
sells their Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set for $59.95. My order will go in
next week.

Let us know how it works for you. I've got the DeWalt, and I'm
relatively happy with it, but it's always good to know about other
options.

If anyone has this and has tried it, please let me know what you think
of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Neillarson wrote:

If anyone has this and has tried it, please let me know what you think
of it.

That looks quite interesting. According to the web site, 2"+ hex shank
drivers will work and they DO use standard jobbers length split-point
drill bits. The money is in having the drill bit mounted in a quick
change holder that is held (apparently magnetically) to the driver.

Drill & chamfer the hole, pop the drill bit off to expose a magnetized
driver and drive the screw. Pop the drill bit holder back on and move on
to the next hole.

I'm making a couple "Jakes Chairs" right now (which probably means that
this thread is OT) and they take a lot of deck screws. The Jack Rabbit
might be handy to have.

I'll have to mull this one over for a while. In the meantime, I'm with
Robert ... let us know how it works out for YOU.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000750-1, 06/18/2007
Tested on: 6/18/2007 4:09:15 PM