DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how do i know what size lathe to get?? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/202269-how-do-i-know-what-size-lathe-get.html)

[email protected] May 30th 07 07:00 PM

how do i know what size lathe to get??

I have looked at several sites for lathes, and have seen lathes that
say 12in. wood lathe, or 15in. wood lathe. is this the limit the the
wood length you can you?? I am looking for something that can make a
baseball bat (33in.). What should i look for?

Leo Lichtman May 30th 07 07:46 PM

how do i know what size lathe to get??

wrote: I have looked at several sites for lathes, and
have seen lathes that say 12in. wood lathe, or 15in. wood lathe. is this the
limit the the wood length you can you?? I am looking for something that can
make a baseball bat (33in.). What should i look for?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The numbers you have cited above refer to the "swing" of the lathe. The
swing is the largest diameter which will fit over the ways. It is TWICE the
distance from the spindle to the ways. To turn a baseball bat, you need a
swing of about 4"--any lathe you encounter is going to exceed that. The
toolrest assembly attaches to the ways, and the bat is going to have to
clear that too, so you really need a little more swing than 4". You also
need a little extra swing because the piece you start with is going to be
fatter than a baseball bat until you finish it.

The more critical measurement is the length from spindle to tailstock.
Every attachment you use, and the tailstock itself, use up part of the
length. If you start with a wood length greater than 33", you have to take
that into account. The Jet 1236 would probably do the job. Harbor Freight
has a Chinese knockoff with lower quality, but still usable, for much less
money, especially when it goes on sale (which happens fairly often.)

Darrell Feltmate May 30th 07 09:40 PM

how do i know what size lathe to get??

Nerp
Leo is mostly right about the numbers. He is simply too trusting of
advertisers :-) Unfortunately there is no standard of measurement for lathe
size. For instance a 15 x 40 lathe may mean a swing of 15" diameter or of
15" radius over the ways. This does not account for the space taken up by
the tool rest. The 40 is _supposed_ to mean the lathe will turn a spindle of
40" length but does not generally account for the distance taken up by the
ends of the spur and tail stock centers let along a chuck. It can take some
reading of the fine print to determine exactly what the lathe gives. On the
other hand a lathe needs to swing a diameter of 4 1/2 inches to accomodate a
3" square baseball bat blank. Any lathe on the market that handles a spindle
of 38" or more should be fine.
---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

mac davis June 15th 07 11:51 PM

On 30 May 2007 11:00:19 -0700, wrote:

I have looked at several sites for lathes, and have seen lathes that
say 12in. wood lathe, or 15in. wood lathe. is this the limit the the
wood length you can you?? I am looking for something that can make a
baseball bat (33in.). What should i look for?

In my experience, start with a mini and work up, or save yourself a lot of money
over the years and get the biggest lathe that you can fit in the house without
displacing important family members..

I'd recommend something at LEAST the size of my lathe, (jet 1442), if not
bigger...
The "42" sort of means what length of stock you can turn, as in 42" long...
Good reference, until you TRY something close to the max. length and realize
that the measurement is for the whole bed length and you need to subtract a bit
off that for the head stock, tail stock, etc....

I just went out and did a rough measurement and I'd be pushing it to turn over
about 32"...
I guess that unless you buy a really huge lathe, you're looking at 1 or more bed
extensions...