Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Relativity for woodturners. (long musing, but very scientific)

We seem to have settled our flame wars about advanced physics. I'm not
referring to quanta vs space-time, rather to those more esoteric
arguments we had re bolting our lathes to the floor vs leaving them
unattached. That's quieted down so it's time to move on with even more
advanced physics; general relativity for woodturners.

Relativity for us isn't about looking at the station from train windows
or returning from outer space to find those here have grown old. It's
more complicated than that. Here's a half dozen of some of our problems
in relativity. As yet we don't have the calculus to solve them, but
perhaps someone here will try, or maybe add more relatives for us to
worry about.
*******************************

1. Heavy Duty--Skimpy: My AMT lathe was listed as "heavy duty" even
if I could bend the lathe bed and twist the tailstock. Sears took over
the duty from AMT and passed the heavy burden on to Harbor Freight. You
can nominate your own company that's a leader in relatively heavy duty
turning equipment. With their plastic handles, aluminum tables and pot
metal castings there's enough for all. BTW, If a bottle stopper can be
better turned on a Oneway than on a Jet mini, then shouldn't a thimble
be better turned on a locomotive or a big gun-barrel lathe than on a
Stubby? It's all relative, ...........I guess.

2. Safety--Risky: A nuisance dust mask will keep you relatively safe.
That is if just a touch of emphysema or just a small lump of cancer is
okay with you. Smoking tobacco adds another variable to the equation,
but by not inhaling and insisting on filter tips, some of us can feel
relatively safe.

3. Cheap--Inexpensive: A great unsettled problem in relativity. There
are many solutions, but as yet no agreements. We will just have to wait
for another total eclipse to prove whether a single $175.34 (not
including S&H), powdered and rouged gouge is cheaper or less expensive
than a half dozen M2 turning tools with their shiney noses.

4. Bargain--Junk: Harbor Freight's hss tool set--their sheet metal
lathe comes to my mind. What brands or abortions come to yours?
Outsourced to..., Made in..., Assembled in..., by..., Product of...,
The world is flat..., New and improved..., plus politely regurgitated
East Indian pabulum masquerading as technical assistance all make value
determination a relatively difficult decision for some of us.

5. First lathe--Interim lathe--final lathe: There are one too many
variables here. The uncertainty principle rules. A final 'lathe for a
lifetime' is relative. Not sure if it means the machine's life or mine.
As we age our toys often get smaller. At 85+ I love my Jet mini and my
N3K is likely to be as big as I'll ever lust for. Some of you owners
with the ultimate and last lathe you'll ever buy in your lifetime will
trade it some day and begin a new life. That future lathe with its
floating blanks, automatic centering, integral roughing out with
rounding option, automatic tool sharpening and guaranteed catch free
weighs just 2 1/2 lbs. and costs just 3 1/2 million bucks. It will be a
must-have. Just you wait and see.

6. Need it--Want it: (a sub set of useful--how useful) If there ever
was a arguable problem in general relativity this is it. Some turners
need to buy plastic taper cleaners, spindle washers, ash tool handles,
combination dust filters and scuba masks, gouge-vacuum cleaner combos,
handled twist drills and that ultimate necessity; elegant store bought
waste blocks. Some don't. In matters of woodturning it's all about
relativity.

Class dismissed.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
We seem to have settled our flame wars about advanced physics. I'm not
referring to quanta vs space-time, rather to those more esoteric
arguments we had re bolting our lathes to the floor vs leaving them
unattached. That's quieted down so it's time to move on with even more
advanced physics; general relativity for woodturners.

Relativity for us isn't about looking at the station from train windows
or returning from outer space to find those here have grown old. It's
more complicated than that. Here's a half dozen of some of our problems
in relativity. As yet we don't have the calculus to solve them, but
perhaps someone here will try, or maybe add more relatives for us to
worry about.
*******************************

1. Heavy Duty--Skimpy:

My HF lathe bed is solid. Just wish I could say the same for the motors.

2. Safety--Risky: A nuisance dust mask will keep you relatively safe.

So will sitting in the back of the plane.

3. Cheap--Inexpensive: A great unsettled problem in relativity. There
are many solutions, but as yet no agreements. We will just have to wait
for another total eclipse to prove whether a single $175.34 (not
including S&H), powdered and rouged gouge is cheaper or less expensive
than a half dozen M2 turning tools with their shiney noses.

Or, for the ultimate in cheapness, you could always take a class in topiary.

4. Bargain--Junk: Harbor Freight's hss tool set--their sheet metal
lathe comes to my mind.

Agreed. I've been using the HSS tool set for roughly 3 years now. Have
found their deal on the sheet metal lathe tempting ... but every time I
actually look at it, I put my money back in my pocket.

Their nitrile gloves, when on sale, are also a good deal.

I just paid a grand total of $12.20 for a set of bandsaw table plans
from woodonline.com and, although I haven't checked their math yet, they
look to be well-worth it. There are 23 pages in the plan with clear
color photos, cut lists and cutting layout, exploded diagrams of major
and minor assemblies and what appears to be clear written instructions.
I'm leaning toward calling this a bargain.

5. First lathe--Interim lathe--final lathe: There are one too many
variables here. The uncertainty principle rules. A final 'lathe for a
lifetime' is relative. Not sure if it means the machine's life or mine.
As we age our toys often get smaller. At 85+ I love my Jet mini and my
N3K is likely to be as big as I'll ever lust for. Some of you owners
with the ultimate and last lathe you'll ever buy in your lifetime will
trade it some day and begin a new life. That future lathe with its
floating blanks, automatic centering, integral roughing out with
rounding option, automatic tool sharpening and guaranteed catch free
weighs just 2 1/2 lbs. and costs just 3 1/2 million bucks. It will be a
must-have. Just you wait and see.

First lathe ... what you can afford to invest in a hobby you're not
certain will 'take root'. Interim lathe ... the one you should have
bought to start with because it's the one you will use the most. Final
lathe ... whatever you turn on & then turn over to your estate.

6. Need it--Want it: (a sub set of useful--how useful)

Need = whatever I've wanted at least three times / been stymied for lack
thereof.

YMMV, Taxes, title and dealer prep extra. No deposit in Minnesota.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000735-2, 04/23/2007
Tested on: 4/24/2007 1:26:08 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

1. Heavy Duty--Skimpy: My AMT lathe was listed as "heavy duty" even
if I could bend the lathe bed and twist the tailstock.

I recall reading a consumer reports article some time back rating
dishwashers. One of the rating criteria was sound level (db). I found it
interesting that many models had "quiet" in their name, e.g., "Quietclean",
"Quietmaster", "UtraQuietmumble".

Without exception, all models with "quiet" in their name were among the
noisiest machines.

It's not relative, it's Newtonian marketing:

For every product shortcomming there is and equal and opposite marketing
reaction.

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Stephen M wrote:

snip

For every product shortcomming there is and equal and opposite marketing
reaction.

And the current administration is marketing the hell out of The War.
Snake Oil Salesmen at their best. The price tag is a bit of a
problem
- but hey - so far they're still selling their "product".

Mr. Orwell - you were off by 20+ years - but you were absolutely
right with your prediction. Funny how those that study history
are often able to predict the future.

the Buy Once, Cry Once view of tools and equiptment
acquisition - as noted already - you don't know if you're
really going to get into something until you've gotten into
it a little - or you've done a LOT of research - and maybe
took some classes first. In twenty hours of time "at the
lathe, using different lathes and tools, you'll have a pretty
good idea of your interest level - and a range of the price
tag for Buy Once, Cry Once.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message

Mr. Orwell - you were off by 20+ years - but you were absolutely
right with your prediction. Funny how those that study history
are often able to predict the future.

You obviously haven't, or you would have recognized the greatest murderer of
all time and the state he created in the story - USSR.