DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Turning angels (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/195437-turning-angels.html)

camdes March 18th 07 08:57 PM

Turning angels

I am trying to turn "Angels", you know the type- awooden doll wit wings on
the back. I am having difficulty working out how to make the wings. They
should be a flat circle about 1/4 inch thick with cutouts top and bottom.
How do I hold this on the lathe?.

George March 18th 07 10:40 PM

Turning angels

"camdes" wrote in message
I am trying to turn "Angels", you know the type- awooden doll wit wings on
the back. I am having difficulty working out how to make the wings. They
should be a flat circle about 1/4 inch thick with cutouts top and bottom.
How do I hold this on the lathe?.

I did mine with a 3/8 "dowel" hold on my 1" pin jaws. Made for a nice
attachment by boring the 3/8 hole into the shoulder of the angel turning.

Darrell Feltmate March 18th 07 11:18 PM

Turning angels

Alex
Bsically this is just a small plate. Either use a small glue block to hold
it in place or, for an easier solution, turn the body side first. This would
be the "bottom" of the plate. Leave a 3/8" tenon at center of the plate and
about 1/4" long. Hold this in a chuck and turn the inside. If you do not
have a chuck then a 3/8" hole in a scrap wood block will serve as a jam
chuck. Turn, sand and finish. Cut the cutouts with a scroll saw. The tenon
then works as part of a mortise and tenon fixing for the wing.
Enjoy.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Bill March 19th 07 07:06 PM

Turning angels

Winter 2004 "American Woodturner" magazine has a full set of
instructions with lots of pictures.

Bill in WNC mountains