DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rebuilding a Delta 1460 (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/194608-rebuilding-delta-1460-a.html)

marc rosen March 10th 07 02:02 AM

Rebuilding a Delta 1460

Hello All,
I just did a Google search looking for headstockstock bearings for a
1460 and most of the posts are old, some links don't come up anymore.
Does anyone have a source for such bearings and any other pertinent
info on rebuilding this lathe. I am searching OWWM concurrnet with
this group as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice of information.

Marc

Bill Rubenstein March 10th 07 02:12 AM

Rebuilding a Delta 1460

Bearings are bearings. I'd pull them out, get any numbers off them,
measure them, and have your bearing supplier match them with SKF or
something good. If you have a bearing supplier in town, take them with you.

Bill

marc rosen March 10th 07 02:21 AM

Rebuilding a Delta 1460

On Mar 9, 9:12 pm, Bill Rubenstein wrote:
Bearings are bearings. I'd pull them out, get any numbers off them,
measure them, and have your bearing supplier match them with SKF or
something good. If you have a bearing supplier in town, take them with you.

Bill

Hello Bill,
Thanks for that straight up answer. I never gave it that thought.
Now I have to just tear the head stock apart first.
Marc

[email protected] March 10th 07 08:26 AM

Rebuilding a Delta 1460

Marc - Bill is so right. I almost bought bearings for my Jet mini
from jet, and they were something like $32 plus shipping for two
Chinese bearings, so final price was about $41 bucks.

Turns out a bearing store here in town had the same bearings for $6
each in Timkin brand. It was a very common size - I took the bearing
in and he asked me what brand I wanted it in!

Called Jet, they told me how to tap out the bearings with a heavy
hammer and a wooden dowel. Reinstall with the same tools, just
reversing the procedure. Maiden voyage on bearing install, 45
minutes. It was easy!

Robert

Paul Gilbert March 15th 07 03:16 AM

Rebuilding a Delta 1460

I don't know if a 1460 is old enough to interest these guys, but
http://www.owwm.com/ is truly amazing. I gave a fellow turner an vintage
lathe that was flooded during Katrina. He got step by step instructions on
how to dissemble the head stock form these people.

oups.com...