Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A Turn - for the Better

A friend has gone most of the way through chemo.
Being the optimist that she is, Carol saw that losing
her hair presented an opportunity - to go shopping
-for a whig, some hats AND a turban or two.

So, I turned her a whig/hat/turban stand and "enhanced"
it a little (pics in a.b.p.w - And Now For Something
Completely Different).

Friend's reaction to The Piece has been
a) laughter
b) that, almost to a man/woman, know
someone in chemo therapy.

That got me thinking "We all love to turn wood.
We all are always on the look out for some
new idea for a turning. Most of us know someone
who is in chemo, or know someone who knows
someone in chemo.

SO - why not put one of these things on your
turning list. The Cancer Society can be found
in your yellow pages. When you've got one done
give it to someone you know in chemo - or
get it to the Cancer Society. You could help
someone's life take a turn for the better.
Laughter is truly a good medicine and people
with a lot of things on their mind could use
getting something special.

Maybe this would make a good turners club project.
Hell, the Stubby owners could turn Floor Models
of the idea. Doesn't require a big lathe though.
Did one on my JET mini/midi

At least think about it - ok?

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote: (clip) Hell, the Stubby owners could turn Floor Models of
the idea. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, the Stubby's strong points do not include long center to center
turnings. But seriously, I think yours is a GREAT idea. Treating something
as serious as cancer in a light-hearted, yet helpful way is bound to be a
welcome gesture.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie - interswting idea! did you post a pic? I did not find one
--

Thanks! Hought

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

hwahl wrote:

Charlie - interswting idea! did you post a pic? I did not find one
--

Pic in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
subject line "Now for something completely different

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Charlie,

Here locally, there is a 5 year old with cancer of the kidneys (there
is a technical name for it, but it escapes me). Some of the locals are
holding a benefit auction to assist the family in paying for some of
here hospital bills. I don't know what they will sell for, but I've
given them a couple of bowls to sell.

It got me to thinking. Why not make this a habit. Like you said, we
all know someone going throught this. The bills are outrageous and the
mental and physical strain they are going through is enormous. It
costs me nothing and makes me feel like I helped.

JD