Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why GO BIG?

I suspect it's because I've not been turning long enough
and have never used one, but I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb wrote:

I suspect it's because I've not been turning long enough
and have never used one, but I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

It won't bog down on smaller pieces.

What is the appeal of a Ferrari or SUV?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
I suspect it's because I've not been turning long enough
and have never used one, but I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

It does the smaller pieces well, I'm sure. Then there's the capability for
large should you get the desire.

Some people have excess cash with which to indulge themselves. I envy them.
Guy I bought my lathe from was getting a Oneway. Probably has turned as
many pieces in the last two years as I in the last two months. But he's
done them in style!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie:

Try a 750 for a day and you'd find out. The freedom from vibration, the
fact that everything slides smoothly and locks down properly, the
quiet... It makes even tiny things like lace bobbins (something I like
to turn) faster and more fun to do. And, when it comes to big things --
the blanks which are too big for me are few and far between.

On the other hand, I'm biased...

Bill

charlieb wrote:
I suspect it's because I've not been turning long enough
and have never used one, but I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The precision, power, and sheer mass of the high end lathes makes turning
smaller objects much more enjoyable, too. You probably won't appreciate
it until you try one, but it really does make a difference, even for 5
inch weed pots. You can go to the post office on your moped, but wouldn't
you enjoy the trip more in a Mercedes? -mp

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike Paulson wrote:
inch weed pots. You can go to the post office on your moped, but wouldn't
you enjoy the trip more in a Mercedes? -mp

Yeah, but I enjoy the trip to the bank more on the moped! g

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip Kip is offline

I don't understand why
having a Stubby S750 or one of its peers becomes the
ultimate lathe to which so many turners aspire.

Other than permitting one to GO BIG, turning 400,
500 or 600 pound three foot diameter chunks of
wood into something without having to worry about
bogging down the motor, what is the appeal of this
class of lathe?

charlie b

Let me second Mike Paulson's comments. Any turning is more enjoyable
when the machine is rock solid. I recently switched from an old Nova
1500 to a Stubby F600 and notice the difference most when doing hollow
forms from wet wood: you just feel a whole lot more in control when
vibration is absent

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
Charlie:

Try a 750 for a day and you'd find out. The freedom from vibration, the
fact that everything slides smoothly and locks down properly, the quiet...
It makes even tiny things like lace bobbins (something I like to turn)
faster and more fun to do. And, when it comes to big things --
the blanks which are too big for me are few and far between.

On the other hand, I'm biased...

Bill

While I'm aware of your bias, would you predict a Oneway or Vicmarc to be
equally free of vibration and as smooth to operate the various parts? If
not, why? I'm not trying to put you on the spot--I'm just curious as to
your opinions.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote: (clip) what is the appeal of this class of lathe?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The answer comes in two parts--others have answered the question as you have
phrased it. Smooth, powerful and big enough to do almost any job.

But why not ask, "What is the appeal of the Stubby lathe?" No other lathe
that I know of has an auxiliary bed that can be mounted in various places.
No other lathe has a bed that can be moved axially AND rotationally. These
two features make the lathe uniquely flexible, both in capability and
comfort. Further, the sliding bed makes the lathe particularly good as a
bowl lathe, while providing decent capacity for spindle work, without taking
up a lot of shop space. In addition, the bed arrangement results in a
tailstock that is easy to remove and replace without back strain. We Stubby
owners never talk about building a trundle stand just to accomodate the
tailstock.

When my friend ordered a One-way, he had to specify the spindle height.
Stubby is adjustable.

Stubby has a build-in vacuum port. That is EXTREMELY convenient compared to
all the plumbing and rotating seals other lathes need.

But I do not recommend trying to make a life-size mannequin on the Stubby to
hold a wig. G

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I agree that a Stubby is comparable to a Mercedes or a Beamer so if
owning the best is your cup of tea it's a good way to go, but a Jet mini
is not a moped. It's at least a Chevvie or a Dodge, maybe a Cambry.
Some of the sheet metal lathes, HF and old AMTs might be scooters, but
my little Jet and mid sized N3k work for me and don't owe me anything.

I'm the limiting factor, not my lathes. I could be getting hard of
hearing, but so far I haven't needed ear muffs. My affordable lathes do
shake once every day, but only when the long freight trains crossing the
nearby bridge make everything shudder. My mail is delivered so I don't
need a Ferrari to go get it. It would probably be dented in the parking
lot anyway.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It is difficult for me to comment here because of my position in these
things.

I've never turned on a Vicmarc but think that it is a dandy lathe and is
quite a bit less expensive than the Stubby 750. But, now we have the
F600 which, while it doesn't have the features which are exclusive to
the 750 and the 1000, is a jim dandy traditional short bed machine and
just happens to be priced competitively with the Vicmarc 300 shortbed.

I have, however, turned on a number of Oneways including the one John
Jordan owned. They are a nice lathe. But, when it came time to plunk
down big bucks, I bought my Stubby -- in '99 -- no regrets.

Bill

Maxprop wrote:
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
Charlie:

Try a 750 for a day and you'd find out. The freedom from vibration, the
fact that everything slides smoothly and locks down properly, the quiet...
It makes even tiny things like lace bobbins (something I like to turn)
faster and more fun to do. And, when it comes to big things --
the blanks which are too big for me are few and far between.

On the other hand, I'm biased...

Bill

While I'm aware of your bias, would you predict a Oneway or Vicmarc to be
equally free of vibration and as smooth to operate the various parts? If
not, why? I'm not trying to put you on the spot--I'm just curious as to
your opinions.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have 4 lathes now, none of them in the same ball park as the stubby. I
like the small lathe for pens, the mid size for spindles, the bowl lathe for
most bowls and the big Craftsman for everything else. One of these days when
I am rich and famous (hah! to either;-)) I may get a
Stubby or One Way but mostly I just enjoy what I do now. If I had to take
one lathe it would be the Craftsman. I like the size and weight.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

I can appreciate your position, Bill, and I thank you for your opinion. I'm
in the market for a better lathe than my Jet 1442, but the cost difference
between a Vicmarc 300 and a Stubby 750 or 1000, a Oneway (larger), or a VB
is substantial enough to warrant some investigation as to the differences
and similarities between them. I must admit I'm unaware of the Stubby F600.
I'll take a look at that.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I guess I'm recalling my jewelry making days. I knew
far to many amateur jewelry makers who owned every
jewelry making tool, machine and ALL the accessories.
Most were under the impression that they could buy
knowledge, skills and abilities - if they spent enough
on the equiptment

And I've known several guys who owned a car that
could go 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and with a top end of
well over 160 mph - with disc brakes the size of
pizza pans - the LARGE sized pizza pans. Two actually
got their car up to 110 mph - scared themselves -
into trading their dream car in for something a bit
more useful - and a hell of a lot less expensive to
insure.

The Stubby is a unique machine, designed from the
ground up to a) be rock solid and b) provide plenty
of capacity and flexability. It has many unique
features.

My concern would be, god forbid, replacement parts.
If you have to put up a grand for the deposit just to
get on the list for a unit, then wait 3 or 4 months to
get it- after putting up almost another five grand - and
then some for shipping cost - I wonder about how long it
would take to get a replacement part. Having
NO working lathe for a couple of months would
"disturb" me.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 6, 12:42 am, charlieb wrote:
I guess I'm recalling my jewelry making days. I knew
far to many amateur jewelry makers who owned every
jewelry making tool, machine and ALL the accessories.
Most were under the impression that they could buy
knowledge, skills and abilities - if they spent enough
on the equiptment

SNIP

Although carpentry/remodeling is and has been my life for over 30
years, it is not an uncommon experience for me at all to go to a
homeowner's house with a shop to see more tools, and certainly more
high end tools than I own.

Most spend their time with their tools polishing, tuning, rust
proofing, adjusting, setting up, and purchasing attachments to get the
tools exactly where they want them. Then they make shelves, cutting
boards, and the same style of cabinets I made at 18 years old.

My concern would be, god forbid, replacement parts.
If you have to put up a grand for the deposit just to
get on the list for a unit, then wait 3 or 4 months to
get it- after putting up almost another five grand - and
then some for shipping cost - I wonder about how long it
would take to get a replacement part.

SNIP

Although I have never heard of the big boy lathes failing, I am sure
like all machines they do. I have heard rumors of good service from
Woodcraft on the Oneway products but don't know about any of the
others. Hopefully, like in the days when investing in a tool meant
you could expect a return of service and reliability commensurate with
your cash outlay, the big boy lathes last well.

Interesting question, though.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I may be one of those guys, Robert. There's a lot of tools and toys in
the garage shop, and I can do a lot with them. But I don't have the
concentrated time to get to some of the projects, and get them done, and
so bringing in a craftsperson with the skills, experience and some tools
makes a lot of sense. I have other things to do. Like earn a living at
what I do. Or play with the projects I want to play with.

Like charlie says, you can write a check for tools. You have to earn
your stripes as a craftsman. For some of us, writing the check was the
first part.

Six or eight years ago, I was building a shed in the back corner of the
lot. for the stuff I was kicking out of the garage, so I could put more
tools into it. As September closed, I was way behind on the project,
work was really busy, and one of my sons had my truck up in Idaho, along
with his Jeep. I needed to fly up there, and bring it home, but I
needed to finish the job on the shed - get it dried in. One of his
friends needed some work, so I put him to work, while I went off. He
finished the job though to the caulking and paint, and took an old table
saw I hadn't used in the two years I'd had it, as well as the very
reasonable fee we'd worked on. We were both quite pleased.

The young fellow has a garage full of tools now, a wife and very young
son, and a finish carpentry and cabinet business, of which he, and we,
are quite proud. He was by today for a few minutes, and we had really
nice conversation.

Some of us are quite pleased to see others do well with tools like the
ones we own, but often have little time to use.

But there's no Stubby in my foreseeable future, either. A Powermatic,
maybe.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

About your quest for a better lathe -- when I go shopping for a new car
I drive it. I would do the same for a lathe. Stubby owners are usually
happy to allow you into their shops and I suspect owners of other lathes
would do the same. Drive several and buy the one you like best.

Bill

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Assuming this post is a response to my inquiry about Stubby lathes, is that
a touch of envy I detect in your post, Charlie? Your presumption that an
upper-end lathe would constitute little more than a trophy in my shop
appears suspiciously close to arrogance. Although a relative newcomer, my
learning curve is steep and I continue to improve. Becoming a competent
turner is a goal which I will achieve with time. That some individuals have
the financial ability to buy pretty much whatever they desire is irrelevant.

If not envy, are you implying that an expensive lathe is a poor investment
for a turner ultimately desirous of supplementing his retirement income with
his work? Or even for an aggressive amateur who simply enjoys making objets
d'art and/or gifts for friends? Or for one who appreciates fine machinery
and understands the annoyances and idiosyncrasies avoided by having top
quality machinery?

You comments w/r/t the Stubby are helpful. I am in the process of gathering
information about the better quality lathes available, and you obviously
know more about the Stubby than I. I regret that you found it necessary to
take a cheap shot at me first.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'll address the replacement parts issue...

I stock most parts in the US. Many of the parts are off-the-shelf --
nuts, bolts, stuff like that. Castings? -- not much to go wrong here.

Compatible bearings are available from a number of major manufacturers
and I stock them. I also stock a loaner kit of stuff which will make
your job of replacing bearings easier.

The little handles which lock the tool rest? They are available from
the major industrial suppliers and I also stock them.

Belts -- these are flat belts and a little difficult to come by -- I
stock them.

Electronics -- all assembled here, mainly from Cutler Hammer (Eaton)
parts. I stock everything and most items are also available from the
major electronics suppliers. Further, there are plenty of parts which
you can substitute for the ones I supply. The Start, Stop, and
Direction switches are all 22.5 mm and that is a standard size.

VFD -- Cutler Hammer (Eaton). I stock them.

The speed pot -- if you drop the remote control enough times, you can
get a replacement for the pot from me or from your local Radio Shack.

Also remember that there are a lot of parts which, if they fail, you can
work around the problem. You have a spare banjo so you have a spare
tool rest lock. If you have blown up the spindle lock, you have
wrenches, etc...

The stand? A weldment made here. Not much to go wrong.

So, what's the problem? I have spares of just about everything. BTW,
the F600, the S750, and the S1000 all use a common headstock which helps
when it comes to stocking parts.

Bill

charlieb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 6, 12:42 am, charlieb wrote:
I guess I'm recalling my jewelry making days. I knew
far to many amateur jewelry makers who owned every
jewelry making tool, machine and ALL the accessories.
Most were under the impression that they could buy
knowledge, skills and abilities - if they spent enough
on the equiptment

SNIP

Although carpentry/remodeling is and has been my life for over 30
years, it is not an uncommon experience for me at all to go to a
homeowner's house with a shop to see more tools, and certainly more
high end tools than I own.

Most spend their time with their tools polishing, tuning, rust
proofing, adjusting, setting up, and purchasing attachments to get the
tools exactly where they want them. Then they make shelves, cutting
boards, and the same style of cabinets I made at 18 years old.

My comments to Charlie apply to you in spades, Robert. Your paragraphs
above would seem patently arrogant.

I've always been puzzled why there are always a few in various trades who
harbor such resentment toward those who pursue the same activities on an
amateur or hobby-related basis. Certainly no amateur carpenter or
cabinetmaker routinely calls your skills into question, do they? So why do
you appear to be threatened? If its not threats you feel, your comments
above would simply constitute mean-spiritedness and arrogance, or at least a
high degree of jealousy toward those with the means to buy fine equipment.
Not a great recommendation for one who purports to earn his living by
selling his skills to the buying public.

You are in a rare position to be helpful to those with lesser skills and far
less experience. Why you've instead chosen to demonstrate disdain is beyond
my comprehension.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
t...
About your quest for a better lathe -- when I go shopping for a new car I
drive it. I would do the same for a lathe. Stubby owners are usually
happy to allow you into their shops and I suspect owners of other lathes
would do the same. Drive several and buy the one you like best.

Bill

That's always fine advice, however logistically sometimes impractical. We
don't have an overabundance of turners in this area, but I will take your
advice and attempt to locate owners of the lathes in question before
plunking down cash. That's my usual modus operandi anyway when buying
virtually anything. As an aside, I've shown and demonstrated my current
lathe to several turners with interest in that model. Thanks.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maxprop wrote:

[...]

Max:

If you took my post to be in any way a dig at you - apologies. I
assure you
that was not my intent. If you reread my post, read it more as an
internal
dialogue - put to print and posted - wondering out loud as it were.
If you've
read any of my other posts I think you'll see that I'm not one to
belittle
anyone knowingly.

My wondering out loud about those who think they can buy knowledge,
skills
and abilities via the purchase of the most expensive equiptment -be
it a
woodworking tool or machine, jewelry making equiptment, cars or
anything
else was the starting point of Why Go Big.

The rest of my wondering out loud may has answered my question.
The class of lathes in the Go Big category all seem to be something
with almost limitless possibilities - especially the Stubby. Of the
various
types of woodworking I've done, no power tool I own or have used is
perfect, some being more limiting than others. The Stubby seems to
offer the least constraints to woodturning - at least in the context
of
a hobbyist / amateur shop. Short of turning architectural sized
pieces,
its capabilities - built in - seem to offer the fewest constraints to
turning
just about anything one can think of. In today's world, finding an
affordable
"near perfect" tool is a rarity. Festool seems to be working on
changing
that for some woodworking tasks, but the Stubby seems to already be
there in the turner's world.

envy. I'm a woodworking tools phreak. I've got the time and
enough
money to buy what I want, or think I need. If it's under $500,
that's often
an impulse buy. If it's over five grand - well I'll do a lot of
research before
plonking down the money.

If you want to poke around my shop - here's the right half - the room
of
noise and sawdust. Haven't added the JET mini/midi and it's
accessories
to the right rear corner of the diagram - but I'm working on that
update.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...htSideMap.html

When it comes to really nice wood - I've been known to go green on
occasion, and sometimes even pass up a deal on some nice stuff. The
200 bf of quarter sawn English Sycamore ( actually a maple not a
sycamore)
for $4/bf wasn't a deal I passed on, even though it meant a couple
days
building storage racks for it. But tool envy - not one of my
shortcomings.

Again, apologies if my post bothered you. Look foreward to your
participation
in this group.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 6, 11:52 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Max- Hide quoted text -

Max... wow.... make that next cup decaf, OK? I don't mean to come
off as arrogant, but it is clear that you don't care to give me the
benefit of a doubt.

Step back... think... in context, my comment was no different than
saying that I run into someone that has a 67 Mustang that they love
and cherish, something they polish, sit in, tune up and just enjoy.
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PRIDE IN OWNERSHIP. If you like
collecting and enjoy your collection, who cares what it is? Cars,
tools, guns, who cares? One of my buddies has a year old Chevy truck
that he never uses for anything but hauling his butt around, never,
ever as a truck. So what? I can't notice that? He and I both laugh
at his cowboy cadillac. He loves it, and that is good enough. I
don't understand why he bought a truck instead of a car, but it is the
same idea with the tools. Why buy tools you don't use unless you are
indeed collecting?

You read an awful lot into that post, and I can only assume somebody
that makes a living with their craft has snubbed you and hurt your
feelings. For me on the other hand, I am the one that shows up on
volunteer day with our club to help others learn to turn. FYI, I am
also giving free lessons to one of my clients that is absolutely
tickled pink to get some help. And if I had a nickel for everyone
that asked me to "take a look at something" for them at the end of a
job to get free advice I could retire. I even show some of them how
to set up their tools as well as diagnose problems. Easy for me to do
since it is my life; and some are so gratetful it is silly.

The only gripe I ever have with someone with a garage full of tools is
when they try to pass themselves off as the next Sam Maloof. Tools
don't make the craftsman, only time, commitment and experience will do
it. Had you taken to the minute to inquire of me if I ever run into a
home craftsman that puts out a nice piece of work, I would immediately
reply to the positive. It may take some of the home craftsman longer
to do some things, but in fact there are some that turn out better
work than many of the professionals I know.

As far as helping out those that frequent this group, I do what I
can. Between here and rec.woodworking, last year I had about 650 ON
TOPIC (or at least pretty close!) responses to anything from someone
asking how to set up an HVLP gun to shoot lacquer to installing crown
molding on uneven ceilings. I am around 150 this year. I stay out of
the politcal horsehockey, and pretty much stay only on the wood
related stuff.

And I am really surprised that you would go after Charlie. That guy
has been one of the most giving and helpful guys in a long time. A
genuine enthusiast, he has always generously shared his work, his
methods, his "oops", and has even posted diagrams and procedures on
his website for all to see. Not to mention his detailed posts and
photos... shame on you.

Maybe you should hang around here a little more and get to know the
guys before you fire (misfire?) out with your pronouncements. I have
never seen an honest question go unanwered when posted here.

I will say this... I did get a real chuckle out of the thought of
being threatened...
Not hardly.

One thing you learn in the tradess/crafts, is that no matter how good
you are at something, there is ALWAYS someone better. Always.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I suspect the vast majority of us have seen no arrogance, surely none
intentional in Charlie's or Robert's many contributions to this group of
woodturners, nor had we seen such in yours. Just fellow turners with
different opinions, some strongly held, from their different
perspectives. In one thread X &Y disagree with Z, Next thread Y & Z
disagree with X.

Most any personal opinion posted here will be taken as arrogance by
someone. If offence is taken and posted it can lead to an apology or a
strongly worded defence. Neither should be necessary and probably serve
little purpose. It's uncomfortable when two net friends can't disagree
agreeably. Someone will take this post as arrogant and condescending,
That's not intended, it's just the way of the net.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill
I am not a Stubby owner and since I was a mathemetician, I am not about to
buy a lottery ticket. However, I have always considered the Stubby to be a
good buy for its quality and design. Now you say that a lot of the parts are
basically off the shelf hardware and electronics? Sounds like sound
engineering practice to me, unlike a lot of cars and such that are made
today so that only the manufacturer's dealers can stock them. Way to go!

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

charlieb wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well said Arch. I might add, "relax folks and go turn a piece of wood." More
and more I find that prayer and turning come together for me. Good for the
soul, the mind, the body. Hard to beat. Relax a little before getting too
uptight. Almost any one "sounds" arrogant or angry or whatever on the net at
times. We do this so often that we forget we can not see the other person
and thus lose a huge percentage of the conversation because tone and facial
expression disappear.
I know for me, as I find somethng that works I get so excited over actually
getting it "right" that I must sound like the most arrogant twit around.
Practice, practice, practice.
Enough preaching. Be at peace with God and all men. Turn wood.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Arch" wrote in message
I suspect the vast majority of us have seen no arrogance, surely none
intentional in Charlie's or Robert's many contributions to this group of
woodturners, nor had we seen such in yours. Just fellow turners with
different opinions, some strongly held, from their different
perspectives. In one thread X &Y disagree with Z, Next thread Y & Z
disagree with X.

Most any personal opinion posted here will be taken as arrogance by
someone. If offence is taken and posted it can lead to an apology or a
strongly worded defence. Neither should be necessary and probably serve
little purpose. It's uncomfortable when two net friends can't disagree
agreeably. Someone will take this post as arrogant and condescending,
That's not intended, it's just the way of the net.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message

I suspect the vast majority of us have seen no arrogance, surely none
intentional in Charlie's or Robert's many contributions to this group of
woodturners, nor had we seen such in yours. Just fellow turners with
different opinions, some strongly held, from their different
perspectives. In one thread X &Y disagree with Z, Next thread Y & Z
disagree with X.

Most any personal opinion posted here will be taken as arrogance by
someone. If offence is taken and posted it can lead to an apology or a
strongly worded defence. Neither should be necessary and probably serve
little purpose. It's uncomfortable when two net friends can't disagree
agreeably. Someone will take this post as arrogant and condescending,
That's not intended, it's just the way of the net.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

http://community.webtv.net/almcc/MacsMusings- Hide quoted text -

Very well said, Arch and Darrell. Can't improve on those two posts.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 7, 12:37 am, "Maxprop" wrote:

Much snippage

A couple of comments and then a fade back to lurking

Max apparently is going to follow advice that has been posted many
times in this group
regarding new tool purchases and indeed new tool purchases by those
just starting out.
- Buy the best you can afford. Good sound advice and especially so
when coupled with the
knowledge that all the extras - chucks, jaws, toos, grinders, etc...
can add considerably to
the cost.
I saw no implication on the part of Charlie that you were buying a
trophy. However I've
seen some that do, not in woodworking but in other areas. I've no
trouble at all with the
practice but prefer to see it as they are taking righteous care of
tools so the next
owner will have a quality and well maintained tool.
fading back for now.
Thanks
-Kevin

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

oups.com...
wrote in message

[...]

I re-read your earlier post this AM after seeing this post, thinking perhaps
that I'd overreacted last evening. While I've always found your posts to be
friendly and helpful, I still got the feeling of derision, and perhaps a bit
of resentment, from your previous post. It did seem uncharacteristic.
While you provided the other side of your take on amateurs in the above
post, that earlier post was pointedly negative. My impression was that
you'd harbored some negative feelings toward well-equipped amateurs.
Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

While I've always been treated well by professional craftsman vis-a-vis, I
have been denigrated by a few of the experienced turners in this NG
previously. I don't carry grudges, and shook off the condescending comments
at the time. For some reason, however, yours and Charlie's post struck a
nerve with me last evening. My impression was that while attempting to
glean information about better machines, two of the more experienced
contributors here were making an effort to convince me that I'm either
unqualified to own such machines, or a fool for considering them.

As you've made the point that that was not the case, please accept my
apology and regret for taking you to task.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
I suspect the vast majority of us have seen no arrogance, surely none
intentional in Charlie's or Robert's many contributions to this group of
woodturners, nor had we seen such in yours. Just fellow turners with
different opinions, some strongly held, from their different
perspectives. In one thread X &Y disagree with Z, Next thread Y & Z
disagree with X.

Most any personal opinion posted here will be taken as arrogance by
someone. If offence is taken and posted it can lead to an apology or a
strongly worded defence. Neither should be necessary and probably serve
little purpose. It's uncomfortable when two net friends can't disagree
agreeably. Someone will take this post as arrogant and condescending,
That's not intended, it's just the way of the net.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I detect no condescension or arrogance in your response at all, Arch. Just
a voice of reason, and I do agree with your statements.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it was my belief that you were implying my intent to "buy" knowledge
and experience through the purchase of a superior machine that I found
offensive. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've worked hard and
diligently, studying, turning, reading posts in this NG, asking questions,
and applying what I've learned in order to get to the level of skill I've
achieved. My current abilities are nowhere in the ballpark with those of
you who've turned for years, and I'm the first to recognize that. But
becoming competent, creative, and productive is my goal; one which I'm
confident I will achieve with time. Never has it crossed my mind that it's
possible or desirable to circumvent the long learning curve with the
purchase of expensive tools. I simply wanted to upgrade my lathe and saw no
reason not to consider the very best.

Your post above has conveyed a tenor that leads me to believe I've misjudged
you, Charlie. For that I'm regretful and offer my apology. I hope you'll
accept that as well as my admiration of your tolerance for newcomers who
spout off occasionally.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Bill
I am not a Stubby owner and since I was a mathemetician, I am not about to
buy a lottery ticket. However, I have always considered the Stubby to be a
good buy for its quality and design. Now you say that a lot of the parts
are basically off the shelf hardware and electronics? Sounds like sound
engineering practice to me, unlike a lot of cars and such that are made
today so that only the manufacturer's dealers can stock them. Way to go!

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

While on this subject, does anyone know if Vicmarc also stocks replacement
and upgrade parts in this country (USA)? Perhaps I should direct this
question to some of the retailers.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 7, 12:52 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:

SNIP

As you've made the point that that was not the case, please accept my
apology and regret for taking you to task.

Max- Hide quoted text -

Max: This kind of response shows why I like this NG, and don't
participate much in others. Only a truly class guy would make a post
like that.

On the net we don't have the advantage of looking at the person we are
speaking to so we don't get the tone, body language, or a playful or
even mad look one might have in speaking in person. The nuances of
personal, spoken conversation often give a completely different take
on same subject matter covered in writing.

I find that sometimes I will read something that ticked me off, only
to look at it later and wonder why. I write a good deal of
correspondence and reports for my company, and for me, it is easy to
see what kind of day I was having at the time I was writing by looking
at the choice of words and phrasing.

I try to be careful when I write, but also grew up in the telegram
style of business writing as did my peers. Sometimes I can be too
straight forward.

If you ever venture down south to sunny San Antonio, Texas, let me
know. I have four lathes (1 Carbatec, 2 Jet minis, and a Nova 3000)
and about 90 tools (a long story - I was sold many at a discount in
order to see if I wanted to rep the tool) to play with. Coffee and
wood blanks on me.

I certainly hope you feel welcome here and that you stay with us and
post away.
Glad you are on board.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Much obliged, Robert.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

One more comment which comes to mind...

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash
adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The electrical
parts were also very suspect (Lucas) so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed something.

At the same time we had a Pontiac and I waited for a Rochester quadrajet
carburetor (a piece of junk) for 6 weeks. An aside -- in later years I
discovered that that carburetor was made not only by Rochester but also
by Carter and Holley -- they all made each others products -- GM's hedge
against strikes and such. And I waited 6 weeks.

Years later I drove a Mercedes 240D. at about 175000 miles and maybe
10+ years I needed a rebuilt transmission and it was overnighted from
Chicago.

Where something is made is no indication of whether you can get parts
for it. Think about parts for older Craftsman machines.

Bill

Maxprop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed

parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash
adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The electrical
parts were also very suspect (Lucas)

Prince of Darkness!

so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed something.

Drove a TR-4 for a couple years and owned an MGB. Carried tools
sufficient to rebuild the MG and a quart of LocTite.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
I suspect the vast majority of us have seen no arrogance, surely none
intentional in Charlie's or Robert's many contributions to this group of
woodturners, nor had we seen such in yours. Just fellow turners with
different opinions, some strongly held, from their different
perspectives. In one thread X &Y disagree with Z, Next thread Y & Z
disagree with X.

Most any personal opinion posted here will be taken as arrogance by
someone. If offence is taken and posted it can lead to an apology or a
strongly worded defence. Neither should be necessary and probably serve
little purpose. It's uncomfortable when two net friends can't disagree
agreeably. Someone will take this post as arrogant and condescending,
That's not intended, it's just the way of the net.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch, I could hardly agree more.

Sometimes I find it useful to take a few days away from the newsgroup.
When I come back, I seem to see things a little more clearly.

Some threads here turn into the old-style wrangling that used to be
typical of nearly all the newsgroups. What went on in 'the wreck' was no
worse than what was occurring in the Linux support groups and, I might
add, is STILL occurring in the Microsoft support groups I've ventured
into lately*.

So I filter the threads. If there is a protagonist stirring stuff up in
the thread who isn't also a capable and frequent on-topic poster, I
filter him, too.

I'm usually 'up' for an honest airing of facts, ideas and opinions. But
when tempers flare and mud flies, it's time to quarantine the thread and
let the emotionally scarred fight things out unseen.

Bill

*(In fact, XP is such a pain that I am seriously contemplating wiping it
off my HD with a copy of Linux. I have a Toshiba Satellite A-105 S2031
and I'm open to suggestions. While the Linux on laptops sites don't
report anyone having installed on this exact model, they do seem to have
bracketed it fairly well.)

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-3, 03/08/2007
Tested on: 3/8/2007 1:56:55 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
One more comment which comes to mind...

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash adjustment
and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc.

I also owned a TR-3 and carried similar spares in the trunk. Those awful
lever shocks were the worst component, IMO. Always leaking.

The electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas) so I kept several of
these on hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed
something.

Lucas: Prince of Darkness.

By the time I owned my TR-3 there was no shortage of aftermarket parts as
well as factory OEM parts available overnight or even at the shop.

At the same time we had a Pontiac and I waited for a Rochester quadrajet
carburetor (a piece of junk) for 6 weeks. An aside -- in later years I
discovered that that carburetor was made not only by Rochester but also by
Carter and Holley -- they all made each others products -- GM's hedge
against strikes and such. And I waited 6 weeks.

Years later I drove a Mercedes 240D. at about 175000 miles and maybe 10+
years I needed a rebuilt transmission and it was overnighted from Chicago.

Where something is made is no indication of whether you can get parts for
it. Think about parts for older Craftsman machines.

Bill--do you also sell the F600? I can't seem to find a price or photos of
this lathe.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed

parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash
adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The electrical
parts were also very suspect (Lucas)

Prince of Darkness!

so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed something.

Drove a TR-4 for a couple years and owned an MGB. Carried tools
sufficient to rebuild the MG and a quart of LocTite.

I also owned an MGB as well as the TR-3. Guess I was a glutton for
punishment, but they were great fun autos to drive. I finally sold the MGB
when the kids in my neighborhood at college kept stealing the knockoff wheel
nuts.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed

parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash
adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The
electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas)

Prince of Darkness!

so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed something.

Drove a TR-4 for a couple years and owned an MGB. Carried tools
sufficient to rebuild the MG and a quart of LocTite.

I also owned an MGB as well as the TR-3. Guess I was a glutton for
punishment, but they were great fun autos to drive. I finally sold
the MGB when the kids in my neighborhood at college kept stealing the
knockoff wheel nuts.

I sold mine to my boss's boss. Damn fool put a $1000.00 sound system in
it and then ran it through a car wash with predictable results.

How big a platter? How big a bowle? How big a lathe? Arch Woodturning 7 January 3rd 05 06:46 AM
The Big Bowl Francis R. Vesey Woodturning 0 November 16th 04 02:15 PM
A Big Big Big Bowl STEFANEE STIEN Woodturning 9 November 14th 04 12:21 AM
Now this is big! vmtw Woodturning 11 November 12th 04 08:10 PM
Big Penis Electronics Repair 0 July 8th 04 01:27 AM