Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default OneWay Stronghold chuck question

I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob

The treaded hole is for keeping the chuck spinning off of the
headstock when you have a lathe that can turn reverse or one that can
be stopped quickly.
These lathes have a groove turned for the setscrew to tightened to,
metal lathes all have those grooves.
As your lathe does not have a flat groove, you probably don't need the
setscrew, but if you want to use one than the easiest way would be to
use a nylon/plastick setscrew, it will not damage the spindle thread,
or you could use a plastic plug between the setscrew and the spindle.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Leo
Thanks for your reply. The hole to which I refer is not on the face of the
adaptor (I am familiar with the four face holes for attaching the adaptor
and for use of the jack screws when removing the adaptor. The hole I was
referring to is a single hole in the part of the adaptor which sticks out
the back of the chuck. Your explanation cleared it up for me and I could
see using it if you had a flat on the shaft or could use some type of
polymer screw that would not damage the threads.
oups.com...

On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there
is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but
there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see
the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock
threads.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob Daun wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

I believe that hole is for putting a grub screw in to hold the chuck on
when turning in reverse. I'm not sure, but I think some spindles have a
flat at that spot. Mine doesn't, but I don't have a Oneway lathe...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It is used whebn you use an adapter with the chuck to fit it to other
lathes to prevent the adapter from unscrewing from the chuck body when you
remove the chuck from the lathe.

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:44:02 GMT, "Bob Daun" wrote:

I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bradford
If you have an adapter to fit another lathe, it would not be in your
chuck when on the first lathe, wouldn't fit right.
You would keep the adapter on your other lathe so you can use the same
chuck on both lathes even so one lathe has a different thread size
from the other.
There is a problem with the set screw, in that it was made to fit on
the Oneway lathes, some of the other lathes also have the flat area
machined into their spindle but not at exactly the same distance from
the shoulder the chuck seats against, and some lathes just don't have
the flat area.
Most people do not need to have the chuck locked to the lathe, but for
the very large lathes that have the breaking resistor to quickly slow
down the lathe the large bowl blank could spin the chuck off the
spindle, when the lathe is stopped, or if the lathe is reverse turned
on.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 4, 9:28 pm, Bradford Chaucer wrote:
It is used whebn you use an adapter with the chuck to fit it to other
lathes to prevent the adapter from unscrewing from the chuck body when you
remove the chuck from the lathe.

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:44:02 GMT, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock threads.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Bob Daun

Bob,
Are there perhaps two threaded holes like you describe instead of only
one?
If so, these are used when you're removing the threaded insert. You
remove the screws (3) that are holding the insert in place, and thread
them through the threaded holes. Then you tighten them sequentially
to force the adapter to 'pop' out of the chuck body.
Tom Weber

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

leo is right as to the purpose. But he is mistaken in that not all metal
lathes have a groove for such a use - for example my metal lathe does not -
it has 2 1/4X8 threads but no groove - and the chucks that go with it don't
have the set screw either (and a little setscrew wouldn't do much against
the forces a metal lathe sees anyway)

My wood lathe will turn in reverse, and I have not had any problem with the
chuck unscrewing with a finished piece on it - so I'm not convinced the
little screw is needed - I have had the chuck start to unscrew if I brake
too fast with a heavy piece on the lathe (e.g. 50 pounds or 100 pounds), but
that's a different matter, and it's why I keep the tailstock in place when
roughing big pieces.

On Mar 4, 2:44 pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have used my chuck for quite awhile but I was just wondering why there
is
a threaded hole in the back end of the adaptor (the side facing the
headstock when mounted). The threads in the hole are quite fine but
there
is nothing in the hole. If I shine a flashlight into the hole I can see
the
threads from my headstock. Is this meant to use as and additional hold
down? I would hesitate to do that as it would ruin the headstock
threads.
Any thoughts on this?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi William
I assume there are always exceptions, however that has been my
experience, (metal lathes having a groove for a setscrew, to keep the
chuck from unwinding) Of course the machining is done in forward and
no forces are applied to the setscrew, as for the chucks, when we
would get a new chuck, they where just plain back chucks and the semi
machined back plates, we'd have to machine those for the lathe and the
chuck, and yes drill and tap for a setscrew, of course no camlock
spindle noses.
I use the large #5 MT on my chuck so there is no unscrewing with that,
(I can flip it from outboard to inboard as I have only thread on the
inboard side, but taper on both sides), however if I had a 100/150
pound piece of wood starting to unscrew the chuck because my lathe was
stopping to fast, I would not expect the sliding resistance of a
tailstock to keep it from doing so, and a good setscrew would be a
more appropriate way of not having this happen IMO.
It would be nice though if all the wood lathe manufacturers could come
to a common position for a groove in their lathe spindles, but I guess
I shouldn't hold my breath for that.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo