Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default anchorseal shelf life ?

Posted back awhile on end grain sealing. I've decided to use
anchorseal on a big batch of walnut and try to store them until I get
to the turning. A 5 gallon can is not much more (relatively speaking)
than one gallon. Can someone advise me on the real world shelf life of
anchorseal. It will be the winterized formula.
Thanks, MinnJim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

MinnJim wrote:
Posted back awhile on end grain sealing. I've decided to use
anchorseal on a big batch of walnut and try to store them until I get
to the turning. A 5 gallon can is not much more (relatively speaking)
than one gallon. Can someone advise me on the real world shelf life of
anchorseal. It will be the winterized formula.
Thanks, MinnJim

I would say years, provided it is not allowed to freeze.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

And now for something completely
different...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
om...
MinnJim wrote:
Posted back awhile on end grain sealing. I've decided to use
anchorseal on a big batch of walnut and try to store them until I get
to the turning. A 5 gallon can is not much more (relatively speaking)
than one gallon. Can someone advise me on the real world shelf life of
anchorseal. It will be the winterized formula.
Thanks, MinnJim

I would say years, provided it is not allowed to freeze.

Agree. Bought a gallon over five years ago, and the last quart has not
precipitated. Don't know whether it was winter or summer formula, but it
does smell of alcohol, so I presume it has some antifreeze in it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello MinnJim,

As many of the group here know, I'm always testing things in my studio. It's
a character flaw of mine I guess... One of my long term tests has been on
the shelf like of finishes and adhesives. In addition, I threw in a few
other things at the last minute... Anchorseal was one of the products I
added to the primary protocol.

I have tested both the winterized version and the standard version's of
Anchorseal. The testing has thus far spanned 7 years for the Anchorseal
products. All of the product variations have been stored in the original
plastic bottles and measured for temperature, colour, consistency, viscosity
and specific gravity every six months.

In addition, drying time is recorded on sample wood with temperature and
humidity recorded. A supplemental test is also performed with heat assisted
drying, with the same factors recorded.

Brief summary results thus far...

Winterized Product: No difference in viscosity or specific gravity. No lumps
or thickened masses. Drying time in normal range vs. fresh product.

Non-Winterized Product: Test 1A.) Stored inside studio - heated and air
conditioned space year round. No difference in measured characteristics.
Drying time in normal range.

Non-Winterised Product: Test 1B.) Stored outside, exposed to elements,
temperature variations etc. (Stored in original plastic bottle). Product has
become very lumpy, with thick masses floating in watery thin liquid. We do
not get a lot of freezing temps here, but it happens on occasion. Product
experienced a cascading failure of all measured factors and was removed from
testing on 1-15-2002.

So to answer your question, if properly stored the winterised product will
last at least seven years. It does need to be stored with a tightly closed
lid for best results. Sub-testing was performed on both versions of
Anchorseal stored in a temperature controlled environment, with an inert gas
layer added in test tubes to establish a boundary layer against normal air.
Results of this testing have yet to be summarized. I hope this helps you. If
you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

P.S. I have an excellent article on using wax emulsions like Anchorseal on
my website. If you would like to learn how to use these products
effectively, point your browser to the following:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/wax-emulsion.html

While you're there, pour yourself a cup of coffee, or your favourite
beverage and check out the other free articles in my education library. Take
care!

On 2/4/07 9:45 AM, in article
, "MinnJim"
wrote:

Posted back awhile on end grain sealing. I've decided to use anchorseal on a
big batch of walnut and try to store them until I get to the turning. A 5
gallon can is not much more (relatively speaking) than one gallon. Can someone
advise me on the real world shelf life of anchorseal. It will be the
winterized formula. Thanks, MinnJim

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had the winterized stuff in the shop for up to three years with no
problems except running out.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

After reading this and other posts on Anchorseal I've decided to try
it. Who has the best price? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woody in Tenn wrote:
After reading this and other posts on Anchorseal I've decided to try
it. Who has the best price? Thanks.

I get mine from Packard Woodworks. It is their brand of end sealer and
works well. I used a jug from Klingspor (their brand) and it was
cheaper, but more watery and drippy.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

And now for something completely
different...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Woody in Tenn" wrote in message
news
After reading this and other posts on Anchorseal I've decided to try
it. Who has the best price? Thanks.

Has its downside as well. Putting it on a light-colored blank which is
still wet to the look and touch can prolong the damp long enough for mildew
to take hold and discolor to some depth. If I were doing it again, and I
find it unnecessary with a modicum of attention to relative humidity, I'd
definitely only cover the outside endgrain, which is under stress from
contraction, allowing the inside, under compression, to get rid of moisture
as rapidly as possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woody in Tenn wrote:
After reading this and other posts on Anchorseal I've decided to try
it. Who has the best price? Thanks.

The best pricing I've found is direct from the manufacturer U. C.
Coatings. You can order on-line at:

https://www.uccoatings.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Got to agree with Jack. The best price is directly from the manufacturer.
https://www.uccoatings.com/
UC Coatings is really a maunfacturer and direct supplier to the lumber and
forestry inductry. They package and sell the stuff to little guys like us to
do us a service. These are nice folks and run a great business. No
affiliation here but I like the company.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Got to agree with Jack. The best price is directly from the manufacturer.
https://www.uccoatings.com/
UC Coatings is really a maunfacturer and direct supplier to the lumber and
forestry inductry. They package and sell the stuff to little guys like us to
do us a service. These are nice folks and run a great business. No
affiliation here but I like the company.

Their manufacturing plant is about 8 miles from my house. When I bought
my last 5 gallon pail I picked it up. The plant manager waited on me.
He brought out the owners to introduce them to me and they then gave me
a tour of their operation. All for a $57.00 sale.

You're right, they are a bunch of nice guys!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi All
Over here in our wood turning club we have a member that gets a 40 or
50 gallon drum of the stuff, and we the club members pay $15.- Can. so
we don't have the hassle to get it ourselves, also the reason I don't
know how long it stays good, I just gat a gallon and get another one
when it's gone, mostly well before a year is gone by.
The only problem I ever have is not closing the smaller can, where I
use it out of, and it gets all thick on me.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Feb 4, 10:45 am, "MinnJim" wrote:
Posted back awhile on end grain sealing. I've decided to use
anchorseal on a big batch of walnut and try to store them until I get
to the turning. A 5 gallon can is not much more (relatively speaking)
than one gallon. Can someone advise me on the real world shelf life of
anchorseal. It will be the winterized formula.
Thanks, MinnJim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Got to agree with the above!

Tom

"Nova" wrote in message
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Got to agree with Jack. The best price is directly from the manufacturer.
https://www.uccoatings.com/
UC Coatings is really a maunfacturer and direct supplier to the lumber
and forestry inductry. They package and sell the stuff to little guys
like us to do us a service. These are nice folks and run a great
business. No affiliation here but I like the company.

Their manufacturing plant is about 8 miles from my house. When I bought
my last 5 gallon pail I picked it up. The plant manager waited on me. He
brought out the owners to introduce them to me and they then gave me a
tour of their operation. All for a $57.00 sale.

You're right, they are a bunch of nice guys!

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 03:34 PM
Shelf life of plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 29 September 11th 06 09:56 PM
Titebond Shelf Life Jerry Woodworking 4 May 19th 05 04:50 AM
Watco shelf life Earl Woodturning 2 April 8th 05 03:04 AM
Cement shelf life mike ring UK diy 27 March 29th 05 02:14 AM