Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default beeswax price comparison

I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest I got
from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call a brick
weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how much others are
paying for their beeswax.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
wrote:

I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest I got
from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call a brick
weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how much others are
paying for their beeswax.

I've bought a pound for $5 from someone at the Minneapolis farmers'
market. They were basically a honey vender and seemed to view the
wax as a sideline. Kind of the wrong time of year for farmers'
markets, of course.

Mike Beede

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I buy it from a local apiary for $4.00 a pound.

--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

wrote in message
I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest I got
from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call a brick
weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how much others are
paying for their beeswax.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Google beeswax for sale- - about $3 something for imported, $4 to $5
for domestic (honestly, take it from an old beekeeper - the bees
can't tell the difference between imported and domestic!!).

Of course there are the folks that label it 'organic' and ask $7 or $8
a pound - - but since beeswax comes ONLY from bees - - I have yet to
find an inorganic bee!

Don't pay a lot - - if you want it for a fine finish - get it filtered
or you will have to filter it yourself prior to mixing - -that should
be the only differentiator on price. Filtered is a light yellow in
color - unfiltered will be brown.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in
:

I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest
I got from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call
a brick weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how
much others are paying for their beeswax.

$4.00US/lb. in three lb. blocks or $3.75US/lb. in 20 lb. blocks. Wax is
pale yellow and cleaned. Price does not include shipping charges. Betterbee
is located in upstate NY. http://www.betterbee.com

Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Don't know where you live in NB but an apiary should be nearby. I wouldn't
buy 'health food' quality if you can avoid it, too $$$. Check the yellow
pages or maybe the police for bee removal services. They are usually bee
keepers (like I was . Retail woodturning suppliers also seem to believe
bee's wax and gold are close enough to being the same thing to be similarly
priced.

wrote in message
I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest I got
from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call a brick
weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how much others are
paying for their beeswax.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I wish to thanks everyone for their inputs. I have learned a lot about
pricing and quality of beeswax.

newsmBvh.838747$R63.739612@pd7urf1no...

wrote in message
I am shopping to buy pure beeswax to make my own finish. The closest I
got from a health store re-seller was $40.00 CAD for what they call a
brick weighting 5 pounds. I am a little curious to find out how much
others are paying for their beeswax.

Information on Beeswax Enoch Root Woodworking 4 December 29th 05 05:25 PM
Beeswax treasure_55 Woodturning 10 November 28th 05 03:36 AM
beeswax as grease AAvK Woodworking 29 January 10th 05 12:22 PM
beeswax as grease? AAvK Metalworking 12 January 9th 05 05:33 PM
Home Depot Or Lowe's: Price/Service Comparison [email protected] Home Repair 13 December 19th 04 04:52 PM