Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Electric motor reversing question

All,

I am adding a motor to a mini lathe and have a wiring question. The
motor I have is reversible. I can add a switch to the circuit to
switch polarity and change rotation direction. Here is the question:

Can I switch the motor from forward to backward when the motor is
already turning? Or do I need to cut power and stop the rotation
first, before switching direction and reapplying power?

Thanks,
Joe Fleming - San Diego