DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Approaching One Limit -Of Vision (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/186516-approaching-one-limit-vision.html)

charlie b December 20th 06 10:37 PM

Approaching One Limit -Of Vision

Found the right combination of wood, tool, cutting edge and
body parts cooperation to approach one of my turning limits
- vision. I now have turned the very smallest wooden top
I'll probably ever make. Pic in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Will post pics of the finished piece - from a part of which my
little top was turned (it's cumbersome avoiding dangling
participles).

charlie b

ps - the right wood sure encourages one to take one's turning
up a notch or two.

[email protected] December 21st 06 07:19 AM

Approaching One Limit -Of Vision

Wow Charlie... that's the biggest pencil I've ever seen!

Just kiddin'.

What tool(s) did you use to get the point (base) of the top cut?

Robert

charlie b December 21st 06 10:33 PM

wrote:

What tool(s) did you use to get the point (base) of the top cut?

Robert

Would you believe - a 1/2" skew? Nice and sharp and used
like a scraper, long point towards the body of the piece.
The curved cutting edge lets you take off just a little bit
and you keep it moving.

Check out the finished piece it came off of over in
a.b.p.w.
subject:
Taking Wood Instructions - Turned Lidded Box

Turns out it turned out quite nicely - surprisingly
elegant. Must've been my turn to get lucky.
May try another one and this time shoot for
exquisite. Hopefully my luck won't take a turn
for the worst. It turns my stomach when
things turn south - makes my head spin too.
Around that time I hang it up and turn in and
turn off the light.

charlie b