DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chainsaw advice (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/184979-re-chainsaw-advice.html)

LRod December 6th 06 12:14 PM

Chainsaw advice

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:31:09 -0500, Test Tickle
wrote:

Hey,

I am looking for a new chainsaw, as I'd like to start harvesting more
wood to feed the habit. I'd love to hear any advice you folks might
have. I know I want a gas powered saw, and I suppose it's better to
buy a longer bar rather than a shorter one -- my old 16 inch was a
little lacking sometimes.

Stihl, Johnsred, and Husquvarna are the only brands worth considering.
Johnsered may be hard to find, and that will make support an issue. I
have a mix of Stihl and Husky small engine tools. I've generally
heard, in various media, that Stihl and Husky are a tossup among pros,
generally leaning towards who has the biggest representation in the
specific locale. I have a good sized dealer in each in my town, thus
the mix.

For the homowner/home turner, I can't imagine you need much more than
the 16". When you get up into the 20s, you're swinging a pretty big
machine and a pretty big bar. You have to ask yourself if you really
want to do a lot of limbing with that monster. Yes, you can put a
shorter bar on it to eliminate 30% of that problem, but I'll bet you
won't, which leaves you swinging a pretty big machine and a pretty big
bar.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.