DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chainsaw advice (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/184963-re-chainsaw-advice.html)

Patriarch December 6th 06 05:24 AM

Chainsaw advice

Test Tickle wrote in
:

Hey,

I am looking for a new chainsaw, as I'd like to start harvesting more
wood to feed the habit. I'd love to hear any advice you folks might
have. I know I want a gas powered saw, and I suppose it's better to
buy a longer bar rather than a shorter one -- my old 16 inch was a
little lacking sometimes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

tt

I'm not a chainsaw expert, so I listened to some, and bought a Stihl. 18"
or so bar length. Spent maybe $300, IIRC. The model number escapes me
right now.

Nothing at the home centers looked like I wouldn't wear it out in a
weekend. The garden equipment center sells pro, and 'pro-sumer' level
gear, and has always done well by me, and hundreds of other folks.

Friends who run big saws like Stihl, among others, but this one was right
for me.

Patriarch