Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Badger Shaving Brush Knots

Has anyone turned a Shaving brush handle?

I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to glue
into the turned handles.

I found one supplier but price seems high.

Thanks!

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message ,
Pete & Kathy writes
Has anyone turned a Shaving brush handle?

I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to glue
into the turned handles.

I found one supplier but price seems high.

Thanks!

Pete

I would suggest using some other material, Badgers do not like giving
hair nowadays. We at least eat the meat of cattle before we use their
skin to make leather, we do not eat Badgers, well not in this country,
before using their hair. If you get some hair, make sure the cyanide gas
residue or damage done by Badger baiting is cleaned off first.
Bob `S`
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Perhaps you could use some of your own hair . . . a human hair shaving brush
would really be a novelty. Maybe a wee bit of your skin dryed and tanned
would help make a nice non-slip grip also . . . If not yours, maybe some of
a "loved" one that you intend to give the brush too. Talk about personalized
.. . .

If all else fails, you COULDS BUY A TOP QUALITY PAINT BRUSH ! ! ! ! Use the
material from that . . . .

"Pete & Kathy" wrote in message
Has anyone turned a Shaving brush handle?

I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to

glue
into the turned handles.

I found one supplier but price seems high.

Thanks!

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob `S` wrote in
:

In message
, Pete &
Kathy writes
Has anyone turned a Shaving brush handle?

I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to
glue into the turned handles.

I found one supplier but price seems high.

Thanks!

Pete

I would suggest using some other material, Badgers do not like giving
hair nowadays. We at least eat the meat of cattle before we use their
skin to make leather, we do not eat Badgers, well not in this country,
before using their hair. If you get some hair, make sure the cyanide
gas residue or damage done by Badger baiting is cleaned off first.
Bob `S`

First find a badger hole. Stake it out for a bit to determine if the badger
is still using it. If the badger is present, take a .222 or a .223 and
shoot the mfkr in the head, if you're not going to mount it, or two inches
behind the shoulder and about four or five inches below the back. Skin it
or stuff it. The pelt will provide the bristles for a whole group of
brushes. My people made necklaces and other ornaments from the claws in the
past (hopefully some still do). Send the meat to Bob S. It will be cyanide
free.
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sigh... so this is one of THOSE newsgroups.

You're all too young to shave anyway.

Thanks anyway!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete & Kathy wrote:
Has anyone turned a Shaving brush handle?

I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to glue
into the turned handles.

I found one supplier but price seems high.

See mine at OhMyWoodness.com They did get a little interest at a local craft
show, but at the price I was told they should sell for no body looked seriously.

Yes, the price does seem high, especially since buying a fully made Boar
Bristle brush at CVS is cheaper. Granted, the boar bristle brush handle is
made of plastic.

Don't mind those young whippersnappers that don't know what a good close shave
is really like. I'm glad their SO has tough skin and like whisker burn.

try blankity-blanks.com

mike

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete & Kathy wrote:
I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to glue
into the turned handles.

You could open a Badger hair salon and advertise cheap Badger hair
cuts/removal - I'm sure that the more sophisticated Badgers in your
area would patronize such a place. In addition to getting plenty of
Badger hair, this would provide a politically correct and renewable
hair source - you might even corner the Badger hair market with that.

Seariously, you could use those one of cheap brushes from the local
pharmacy and disassemble it. Of course if you know Johnny Five, you
wouldn't want that to mention that you are disassembling things to him.

BrianC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mike vore" wrote in message

Don't mind those young whippersnappers that don't know what a good close
shave
is really like. I'm glad their SO has tough skin and like whisker burn.

try blankity-blanks.com

Thanks Mike. Every newsgroup has a signal to noise ratio. Glad to see
there's some "signal" on this one.

Blankity-blank seems to be the only supplier of the knots in the US. Unless
I can find some plastic drugstore brushes with high-quality badger, I'll
have to spring for what they're asking.

Have you tried selling yours on eBay?

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Pete & Kathy" wrote in news:3YAdh.437174$QZ1.142991
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Sigh... so this is one of THOSE newsgroups.

You're all too young to shave anyway.

Thanks anyway!

Actually it's not. Every once in a bit, some of us can be jerks. I'm
speaking from experience (too much experience and I'm one of us). My
response was to the jerk that didn't eat badger in his country because of
the cyanide that was probably used in traps (really was 'how can you use
hair from an animal or something like that?'. My response was a stupid
response to a stupid response. My apologies. Please don't judge others by
my comments.
I don't really know what badger knots are, but I expect they are clumps of
badger hair that can be glued or mounted somehow into a handle. I have two
shaving brushes and several paint brushes of badger. Wish my people saved
some for me. I haven't seen a badger for a large number of years. In my kid
days, I popped a few and got a decent price for the hides. Kept a bunch of
claws, but lost or gave them away. Don't need the money (for food) anymore,
so don't shoot badgers.
Regards,
..Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

[...]

Thanks Hank!

I've gotten a number of replies in private stating the same thing.

A "knot" or plug is a stack of hair glued together at the base (usually with
epoxy) forming a plug, ready to be inserted into a handle. Handles can be
turned from any number of things, including exotic wood, acrylic and bone.
There appears to be a lot of folks interested in this traditional way of
shaving. Believe it or not, there are newsgroups dedicated to the subject.
Badger hair (especially Silver Tip) makes the ultimate brush.

In a way, I deserve the wake up. I never thought of the Badger Hair as
"fur". I've used natural materials (animal hair, feathers, etc) for tying
flies without much thought as well. Do they kill the badger? Probably so.
I sure wouldn't want to give one a haircut. The plugs come from China.
Blankity Blanks imports them in quantity and marks them up for sale in the
US. I'll do more research to find the origins.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sorry Hank for upsetting you with my comments re. Badger hair, still at
least "my people" have not killed most of them off so I ( and those
that follow me) do not know what they look like. I, unfortunately got a
little hot under the collar about the way the request was made, I
apologise to Pete & Kathy for that. I will not comment further re. The
fur from China etc. as I know I will only upset others again especially
if you wear dog fur which is used in clothing in the west, which is
exported from china, they at least do eat the dog, quite a delicacy I
believe.

In message 42, Henry
St.Pierre writes
[...]

Robert Strudwick
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I found a supplier in China.

Now we'll see how that goes.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete & Kathy wrote:
I found a supplier in China.

Now we'll see how that goes.

Pete

Pete ... who? I'm looking too.

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000707-0, 01/27/2007
Tested on: 1/27/2007 1:02:44 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:02:43 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:
Me too!!

Don
Pete & Kathy wrote:
I found a supplier in China.

Now we'll see how that goes.

Pete

Pete ... who? I'm looking too.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Guys,

When you import brushes from China you need to buy a large quantity and also
telegraph $ to the supplier. There's no recourse if you get stiffed.

The supplier I found wasn't too bad with communications and filling my
"small" order, but for some reason he's not answering any emails.

I decided to sell knots as well as brushes for folks who don't intend to
make a living making and selling brushes, but I only have one size (22mm x
70mm) at the moment. They're listed in my eBay STroe
http://stores.ebay.com/Northwoods-Wo...3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm
..

You can also purchase from a selection at www.blankity-blanks.com.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete & Kathy wrote:

Pete ... what is the difference between the $25 model and the $30 model?

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-2, 02/01/2007
Tested on: 2/1/2007 1:13:09 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 6 2006, 10:32 am, "Brian C"
wrote:
Pete & Kathy wrote:
I'd like to find a supplier for the knots (or plugs) of Badger Hair to glue
into the turned handles.

You could open a Badger hair salon and advertise cheap Badger hair
cuts/removal - I'm sure that the more sophisticated Badgers in your
area would patronize such a place. In addition to getting plenty of
Badger hair, this would provide a politically correct and renewable
hair source - you might even corner the Badger hair market with that.

Seariously, you could use those one of cheap brushes from the local
pharmacy and disassemble it. Of course if you know Johnny Five, you
wouldn't want that to mention that you are disassembling things to him.

BrianC

The only "cheap" pharmacy brushes I've found use pig bristles and are
not nice at all. Way too stiff. I bought the next-most-expensive
brush at the mall cutlery shop. $50 bucks, but worth it every
morning. If it's anything like my last brush it will last 30 years.
$1.33 per year for nice shaves seems worth it to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
Pete & Kathy wrote:

Pete ... what is the difference between the $25 model and the $30 model?

Bill

Bill,

No difference. I was just auctioning off with a starting bid at $25.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

$5.00.

Pete & Kathy wrote:

Pete ... what is the difference between the $25 model and the $30 model?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

$5.00.

Pete & Kathy wrote:

Pete ... what is the difference between the $25 model and the $30 model?

Ya know ... you're a lot smarter than you look.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-2, 04/03/2007
Tested on: 4/4/2007 12:15:26 AM