Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tidying Up

Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the bed
and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

TIA.

--
Ian M

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the bed
and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

TIA.

Ian,
Just funnel it with some cardboard or whatever is handy so that the
chips end up in a single pile. Then shop vac / sweep that single pile.

Makes a big job a two-minute job.

Bill

--
We should all be obliged to appear before a board every five years and
justify our existence...on pain of liquidation.

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a fantastic wife who cleans them for me - willingly - and no,
I'm not going to part exchange her for a Vicmarc

Paul

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 23:06:15 -0000, "Ian Malcolm"
wrote:

Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the bed
and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

TIA.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
t...
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from
under and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit
less of a chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the
bed and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

Concentrate on the way you cut just a bit more, and you'd be surprised how
well you can help your cause. I turn up against a wall, which controls
things in that direction when hollowing, and when turning convex things, a
strategically placed bag does wonders. I tried a hard-sided container, but
it's tough on the shins.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...to&PhotoID=228

If you use feed sacks, hold them open with a bit of wire at the top.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A dust collector doesn't work well for collecting shavings, they clog
up the pipes, and fill up the barrel/bags way too quick. I use a big
scoop shovel, a broom, some times a rake, and one of those 4 prong
things that you use for breaking up soil in the garden (like a long
tined rake). I also have an enclosed room that is rather small, so the
shavings don't get too far. When I really clean up things, I use the
air hose to get things out of all the cracks and crevices (and a dust
mask of course).
robo hippy
George wrote:
"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
t...
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from
under and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit
less of a chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the
bed and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

Concentrate on the way you cut just a bit more, and you'd be surprised how
well you can help your cause. I turn up against a wall, which controls
things in that direction when hollowing, and when turning convex things, a
strategically placed bag does wonders. I tried a hard-sided container, but
it's tough on the shins.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...to&PhotoID=228

If you use feed sacks, hold them open with a bit of wire at the top.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

No, but I can say that the shavings make my feet much more comfortable
when I'm standing for many hours on the lathe. Suggest you mount the
lathe several inches high and just sweep the chips into a soft mat for
you to stand on when you're turning.

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I keep a five gallon bucket under the front edge of the lathe bench
and when I need to clear the bench, I scoop the shavings into my
roughing gouge and pour them into the bucket.
Also, when I plumbed in my dust collector, I put in a floor sweep at
the edge of the lathe. This works for me, because I have a chip
seperator in my dust collector.
You can see the floor sweep on the "workshop/dust-collector" page of
my web site.
hope this helps,
Brad
HardingPens.com

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the bed
and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

TIA.

--
Ian M

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any neat ideas for collecting shavings from under
and around a lathe which might make the end-of-day tidy-up a bit less of a
chore?

I have a shelf (well, actually a wooden box full of concrete) under the bed
and don't want / can't afford a vacuum chip collector.

TIA.

You might want to make a custom little rake to sweep it out?
rm

PS. with a beautifully turned, ergonomically correct handle of exquisite
hardwood, of course...