Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Nova DVR

I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
LBledsoe wrote:

I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB

I have one (actually a DVR-XP), any specific questions?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:47:41 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
LBledsoe wrote:

I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB

I have one (actually a DVR-XP), any specific questions?

Just one, Ralph...
Can I have it? *g*

I keep looking at the XP in the catalog and have definite Nova envy...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:47:41 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
LBledsoe wrote:

I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB

I have one (actually a DVR-XP), any specific questions?

Just one, Ralph...
Can I have it? *g*

I keep looking at the XP in the catalog and have definite Nova envy...
Mac

The "New" 3000 is supposed to be out in December. Was originally billed as
a target of ~995 USD. Not likely, but that'd be the bargain of bargains in
16" swing lathes.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LBledsoe wrote:
I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB

I have had mine a couple of months. Love it. Only complaint: It needs a
big old red OFF button.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Absence makes the heart go wander.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"George" wrote:

The "New" 3000 is supposed to be out in December. Was originally billed as
a target of ~995 USD. Not likely, but that'd be the bargain of bargains in
16" swing lathes.

Do you mean the 1624-44?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...va%20_1624.htm

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"George" wrote:

The "New" 3000 is supposed to be out in December. Was originally billed
as
a target of ~995 USD. Not likely, but that'd be the bargain of bargains
in
16" swing lathes.

Do you mean the 1624-44?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...va%20_1624.htm

Sure looks like a duck....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:16:46 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 05:47:41 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
LBledsoe wrote:

I know this question comes up every month or so, but I have
to ask again. What are some of the opinions on the Nova DVR
lathe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

LB

I have one (actually a DVR-XP), any specific questions?

Just one, Ralph...
Can I have it? *g*

I keep looking at the XP in the catalog and have definite Nova envy...
Mac

The "New" 3000 is supposed to be out in December. Was originally billed as
a target of ~995 USD. Not likely, but that'd be the bargain of bargains in
16" swing lathes.

Must be a different one than I've been looking at... it's over $2,000 and looks
like a big-assed drill... no belts and the spindle is part of the motor..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

The "New" 3000 is supposed to be out in December. Was originally billed
as
a target of ~995 USD. Not likely, but that'd be the bargain of bargains
in
16" swing lathes.

Do you mean the 1624-44?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...va%20_1624.htm

Sure looks like a duck....

Definitely not what I'm lusting after... no DVR there, that I see, just an 8
speed belt...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
Definitely not what I'm lusting after... no DVR there, that I see, just an
8
speed belt...

All you need, if you've got the talent....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:25:19 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Definitely not what I'm lusting after... no DVR there, that I see, just an
8
speed belt...

All you need, if you've got the talent....

Is that why you use a sharp rock for bowl turning?
Or does your lower talent level require a bowl gouge??

I must be a LOT better turner than Bill Grumbine, he needs to use those
no-talent DVR lathes...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:56:43 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:25:19 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
. ..
Definitely not what I'm lusting after... no DVR there, that I see, just an
8
speed belt...

All you need, if you've got the talent....

Is that why you use a sharp rock for bowl turning?
Or does your lower talent level require a bowl gouge??

I must be a LOT better turner than Bill Grumbine, he needs to use those
no-talent DVR lathes...

I didn't think Bill had a DVR as I recall. Poolewood, Vega (new in the
last six months), some mini (Jet?).

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"LRod" wrote in message

I didn't think Bill had a DVR as I recall. Poolewood, Vega (new in the
last six months), some mini (Jet?).

Mac's just yanking my chain. Obviously the essentials of turning do not
require all the bells, whistles and foolishness with which we can indulge
ourselves. If you search for a useable tool your range of options is huge,
but if you look for a bragger, it's gotta be the biggest, most expensive, or
perhaps most innovative. Spins the wood, of course, but you still have to
cut it, which requires imagination and ability.

Or ... how's the surface off that CNC-er Art? Got the thing sanding itself
yet?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
Definitely not what I'm lusting after... no DVR there, that I see, just an
8
speed belt...

All you need, if you've got the talent....

Is that why you use a sharp rock for bowl turning?
Or does your lower talent level require a bowl gouge??

I must be a LOT better turner than Bill Grumbine, he needs to use those
no-talent DVR lathes...

I didn't think Bill had a DVR as I recall. Poolewood, Vega (new in the
last six months), some mini (Jet?).

That is one nice Vega in the new dvd, isn't it?
Not sure what type of control it had but he dials in whatever speed he wants...
I'd LOVE to have that ability, especially to run that slow!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:36:22 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

That is one nice Vega in the new dvd, isn't it?
Not sure what type of control it had but he dials in whatever speed he wants...
I'd LOVE to have that ability, especially to run that slow!

My first exposure to one was when Mark Kauder from Alabama, a regular
poster on the Turning section of WoodCentral bought one. He wrote a
pretty comprehensive review of it. It was scooped up for an article in
the Articles section (I've done the bulk of the HTML conversion of the
articles) on WoodCentral, and is worth a read.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_503.shtml

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

That is one nice Vega in the new dvd, isn't it?
Not sure what type of control it had but he dials in whatever speed he
wants...
I'd LOVE to have that ability, especially to run that slow!

Is a very impressive lathe. Thought real -hard- about one last year

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Nova 3K George Woodturning 32 July 19th 05 06:03 PM
WTB - Nova 3000 lathe Rob McConachie Woodturning 17 September 10th 04 04:31 PM
FS: Nova 3000 & Outboard Tool Rest for Nova DVR3000 and 3000 Lathes bob bauer Woodturning 0 August 22nd 04 04:35 AM
FS: Nova Ornamental Turning Attachment Nick Silva Woodturning 3 July 26th 04 02:04 AM
Nova chuck on Jet mini 1014? Joe Woodturning 3 January 28th 04 07:10 PM