DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ebonizing Rust Stain (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/174129-ebonizing-rust-stain.html)

Tom Storey August 29th 06 07:30 AM

Ebonizing Rust Stain

I have the recipe for making this stain but before I use it on one of my
turnings, or even a test piece, I'd like to know from those that have made
it up and used it how satisfied they were with the end product and finsh?
Does it actually darken walnut to a near ebony colour? and how drurable is
it? Does it blotch like some stains? I did a bit of a search but I didn't
get the questions answered.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Canchippy August 30th 06 03:34 AM

Ebonizing Rust Stain

Tom Storey wrote:
I have the recipe for making this stain but before I use it on one of my
turnings, or even a test piece, I'd like to know from those that have made
it up and used it how satisfied they were with the end product and finsh?
Does it actually darken walnut to a near ebony colour? and how drurable is
it? Does it blotch like some stains? I did a bit of a search but I didn't
get the questions answered.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Tom,
The sucess of the colour depends on how much tannin there is in the
wood. It will work on almost any wood if the wood is washed in tea
(black, no sugar) You will have to experiment on scrap to decide how
long and how much will give you the desired colour. It is NOT a finish
and so should be protected with an appropriate oil or water base finish
after it has dried. Personally I have used this a lot but never mixed
up a batch. I always just use steel wool to apply vingar straight onto
the wood. Used it mainly on oak and it goes to a solid blue/black.
Applied BLO as a finish as it is outdoors. BLO once a year keeps up the
protection and adds to the blackness.

[email protected] August 30th 06 09:13 PM

Ebonizing Rust Stain

Tom Storey wrote:

I have the recipe for making this stain

That's the easy bit - watch out for the details too.

To get a good _black_ stain, you must avoid iron oxides in it -
otherwise there's a brown or orange scum that forms. Keep the iron
submerged in the vinegar with a weight on top of it (if you're using
wire wool). Throw it out if it starts to discolour.

I'd like to know from those that have made
it up and used it how satisfied they were with the end product and finsh?

Wouldn't be without it.

Does it actually darken walnut to a near ebony colour?

It's dependent on tannins (or other things) in the timber and I've
never had much luck getting a deep or even stain if I've had to apply
tannins to it myself with a tea, tanbark or persimmon wash. However
walnut works beautifully with it.

how drurable is it?

The same pigment was used in inks that have lasted 1000 years without
any trouble. If you're _really_ worried about durability, then damage
from residual acids is going to be a problem long before you see any
fading.

Does it blotch like some stains?

No.