DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   vaccum chuck plans (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/171938-vaccum-chuck-plans.html)

[email protected] August 9th 06 05:48 AM

vaccum chuck plans

Does anyone know a website that would have a set of plans to make a
vaccum chuck? Have any of you had good or bad experiences using a
vaccum chuck? ............Thanks, TLC

[email protected] August 9th 06 08:09 AM

vaccum chuck plans

Hi Icrum

I'll give you a couple of links, to vacuum pumps and vacuum chucks,
this should get you going at least and also where to get some of the
parts if needed.

http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips...uum-chucks.pdf

http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/frame_1.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Tom Nie August 9th 06 11:44 AM

vaccum chuck plans

Leo,
Great stuff - thanks.
TomNie

oups.com...

mac davis August 9th 06 03:43 PM

vaccum chuck plans

On 8 Aug 2006 21:48:02 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone know a website that would have a set of plans to make a
vaccum chuck? Have any of you had good or bad experiences using a
vaccum chuck? ............Thanks, TLC

BIll Noble!

I bought my pump and accessories from him and he's a wealth of info.. very
helpful..

http://www.wbnoble.com/

He sells used stuff at reasonable prices..

For me, the hardest part was designing the "rotary valve"... the connection
between the spinning lathe and the vacuum hose...
After several experiments, I came up with a really easy system that I'd be happy
to share if you're interested..

The chuck itself is So easy that I made it hard in my early attempts!

Making the assumption that your spindle is hollow, (that you use a rod to knock
out the taper), then anything that will screw onto your spindle and hold water
will work as a chuck... Most of mine now are just turned cylinders of different
sizes with this stuff glued to the bowl end..

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=314-1011

My first chucks were pretty much like the picture there with PVC pipe and a
round wood disk... I've found that the disk isn't needed for my use and the pipe
is good for being air tight, but you set up another bunch of problems like
seating it in the wood, etc...
I'd rather make my chucks one piece and cheap.. *g*

Once you actually get something to stay on the chuck at speed, you'll open a
whole new world of turning... I needed a better way to finish bowl bottoms, I
ended up with a way to re-turn old projects that had already been "finished"..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

no(SPAM)vasys August 9th 06 11:02 PM

vaccum chuck plans

wrote:
Does anyone know a website that would have a set of plans to make a
vaccum chuck? Have any of you had good or bad experiences using a
vaccum chuck? ............Thanks, TLC

You can also check Bill Noble's site:

http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/frame_1.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Bill August 11th 06 05:12 AM

vaccum chuck plans

just to keep the record straight -- the article on woodturners.org and the
article on my web site (www.wbnoble.com) are the same article with -- you
guessed it --- the same author. you will find a lengthy treatise on the
subject that will tell you far more than you are likely to want to know, and
a shorter powerpoint style briefing, and probably some other stuff - I have
a few pumps for sale on my site, no little 110V ones right now though.

bill N

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Leo,
Great stuff - thanks.