DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Link Belt for VS Jet (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/168660-link-belt-vs-jet.html)

JimC July 9th 06 05:44 PM

Link Belt for VS Jet

Some time ago in a discussion about the use of link belts, someone
indicated that they are NOT recommended as replacements on VS Lathes.

I have a Jet 1236VS and have been wondering why installing a link belt
would not be recommended.

Would someone please explain the ramifications of using a link belt on
the Jet VS. Would there be any benefits from installing one on the Jet
VS?

JimC

Leo Lichtman July 10th 06 12:13 AM

Link Belt for VS Jet

"JimC" wrote: (clip) I have a Jet 1236VS and have been wondering why
installing a link belt would not be recommended. (clip)
I used one on my Jet 1236, and found no problems. I worked better than the
original belt, and offers a few advantagesL:

1.) Less vibration.
2.) Length can be changed in 1/2" increments, which allows you to fine tune
the speed range.
3.) If the belt breaks, and the rest of the belt is still good, you can
replace two or three links, instead of the shole belt. On the Jet 1236, it
is easy to stall the drive, which causes the motor pulley to spin against a
spot, causing local damage.