DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The mulberry wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/168287-mulberry-wood.html)

Kevin July 5th 06 09:08 PM

The mulberry wood

Thanks to all who answered my questions about mulberry a couple weeks ago.
I've turned a few bowls and noticed that the yellow seems to disappear
fairly quickly. Is this the way of this wood? Not that I mind all that
much as free wood is good wood and some of the grain patterns have been
rather attractive.

TonyM July 6th 06 01:09 PM

The mulberry wood

The yellow does disappear quickly. Give the wood some time and it will turn
a dark russet color. I like the russet color better than the fresh turned
color. The only domestic wood I know that stays yellow is Kentucky
Yellowwood.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

mac davis July 6th 06 07:56 PM

The mulberry wood

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:08:47 -0400, "Kevin" wrote:

Thanks to all who answered my questions about mulberry a couple weeks ago.
I've turned a few bowls and noticed that the yellow seems to disappear
fairly quickly. Is this the way of this wood? Not that I mind all that
much as free wood is good wood and some of the grain patterns have been
rather attractive.

Not in my experience, Kevin... but there are probably several types of
mulberry..

The ones that I've turned recently are the same yellow and white as the ones
that I turned in may and june, and the branches aren't sealed or anything, just
sitting out in the *$!&#^ sun..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

[email protected] July 7th 06 08:32 AM

The mulberry wood

Hi Kevin

I have turned many bowls etc from Mulberry, I do like the wood, while
it can be finicky to dry without splitting, it has a nice shimmer to it
and as it gets older the turned wood does get a very nice dark honey
golden color.

As for changing color, there is probably a difference between the
Mulberry species.

The Mulberry genus contains about 10 species about 4 are native
including Osage Orange and then there are introduced species, over here
in Ontario I have turned red, white and Osage, al these change color
slowly over time and are impossible to tell apart by looking at the
color only.

They turn nice when still green wood, the sap wood and inside bark is
stringy, all get hard when dried.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo