Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim

Default Holly stains

I was recently given a small pickup truck load of American Holly. It
was cut in early Jun06 in Maryland & already hacked into firewood
lengths by the time I heard about it. A couple of the logs are 16 -
18" in diameter! I gave away 2/3 of it to other woodworkers so it
wouldn't go bad on me & to spread the wealth. I'm turning some bowls &
stuff out of it but it is often getting a blue-gray stain as it dries.
Not always, though.

I've tried cutting it thin & air drying as well as microwave drying.
Neither seems to make a difference - some pieces in some areas get some
stain. When ever I apply too much heat, such as high points when
sanding on the lathe, it definitely stains. (gets color? Not sure that
stain is the correct word.) The stain happens fast, not a result of
sitting around wet or anything, so I'm sure it isn't a fungus or mold.

The stain can't be sanded off, at least not to the depth I've been
willing to go, although I've dug down between an 1/16 - 1/8" or so &
gotten to white. Household bleach causes more of the same stain, so
I'm guessing it's an oxidation reaction. (That's a guess, I'm no
chemist.) The one local hardware store I stopped by so far didn't have
oxalyic acid, so I'm going to try another one, but if anyone has any
advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

I want to get the wood back to it's natural white color or, failing
that, at least a uniform shade of pale & really don't want to paint,
stain or put on a wash, if I can help it. In some cases the staining
doesn't look too bad, but in others, where it stains part of a knot,
for instance, really looks bad.

I've wanted Holly for a long time. It's great to work with & seems to
be very stable when drying - I generally turn a finished bowl & then
dry it which can be a problem with some woods since they'll check up a
lot. This Holly seems to be pretty immune to that. I hate wasting
even a small scrap, so any other tips are appreciated.

TIA,

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross

Jim wrote:
[...]

The same thing happens with magnolia for me. It may be the sap reacting
to the iron in the turning tools. For a test, try end sealing a piece
and allow it to dry before turning. See if it turns while simply drying.
(magnolia often does).
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A friend in need is someone to avoid.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Try wood bleach on a small piece.

The only holly I've turned was dry, sometimes it turns and sometimes it
doesn't.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Blue sap stain sets in in several days, nothing you can do.
Holly must be cut in winter and dried quick to avoid it. You have spalted
Holly which has green-gray shades. Bleach will change something!! Try it and
see if you like it.

Bob

oups.com...