Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
spikedriver

Default small lathe

I would like to purchase a small wood lathe. I will not be doing
anything over 24 inches.

Any recommendations, please?

Spike
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

My first choice would be a Jet mini lathe. 2nd Delta mini.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"spikedriver" wrote in message
I would like to purchase a small wood lathe. I will not be doing anything
over 24 inches.

Any recommendations, please?

Spike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:28:12 GMT, "cm" wrote:

Same here, assuming that the 24" is length, not diameter...

Also, I just measured my Jet mini and the bed is 24" including head and tail
stocks, so the bed extension would be needed...

My first choice would be a Jet mini lathe. 2nd Delta mini.

Craig

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"spikedriver" wrote in message
I would like to purchase a small wood lathe. I will not be doing anything
over 24 inches.

Any recommendations, please?

Spike

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian

Was in Woodcraft the other day and they had the General on sale. Very nice
and a good price.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
spikedriver

Brian wrote:
Was in Woodcraft the other day and they had the General on sale. Very nice
and a good price.

Brian

Thank you all. I will report in when I purchase one.

The Jet mini is looking good to me.

Much thanks,

Spike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:48:15 -0500, spikedriver wrote:

Brian wrote:
Was in Woodcraft the other day and they had the General on sale. Very nice
and a good price.

Brian

Thank you all. I will report in when I purchase one.

The Jet mini is looking good to me.

Much thanks,

Spike

I've been very happy with mine.. a few hundred turnings and still ticking...

The spindle is a common size (1", 8 teeth per inch) and easy to get accessories
for and nice when you upgrade lathes..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

spikedriver wrote:

Thank you all. I will report in when I purchase one.

The Jet mini is looking good to me.

Much thanks,

Spike

Definitely consider getting the variable speed model.
Much more apt to adjust speed up to were the wobbling
starts then back off 'til it stops, than you would if you
need to stop the motor, open up the access to the belt
and pulleys, move the belt, close things up, start the motor,
turn it off, open up the access to belt and pulleys. move
the belt . . .

charlie b