DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Claro Walnut (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/161656-claro-walnut.html)

robo hippy May 16th 06 05:25 PM

Claro Walnut

Does any one out there know what this really is? I have heard so many
different stories. Is it just a color vaiation of Black Walnut? Is it
the California Walnut? Is it the graft between the English/Persian and
Black Walnut? Is it just a fancy name for a color variation so that it
sells better??? This is just driving me nuts. Now I found out that
there is another walnut called the 'Paradox' which is the main orchard
tree. Any one seen any of that???
robo hippy

Andrew Barss May 16th 06 07:37 PM

Claro Walnut

robo hippy wrote:
: Does any one out there know what this really is? I have heard so many
: different stories. Is it just a color vaiation of Black Walnut? Is it
: the California Walnut? Is it the graft between the English/Persian and
: Black Walnut? Is it just a fancy name for a color variation so that it
: sells better??? This is just driving me nuts. Now I found out that
: there is another walnut called the 'Paradox' which is the main orchard
: tree. Any one seen any of that???

Claro walnut is native to California, and is Juglans Hindsii (named
for the guy who discovered it, Richard Hinds). Black Walnut is
Juglans nigra.

Paradox walnut is a hybrid of English and Claro walnuts.

-- Andy Barss

Dan Bollinger May 16th 06 10:58 PM

Claro Walnut

Claro walnut is native to California, and is Juglans Hindsii (named
for the guy who discovered it, Richard Hinds). Black Walnut is
Juglans nigra.

Paradox walnut is a hybrid of English and Claro walnuts.

And Butternut, aka White Walnut, is Juglans Cinerea. Range is about the
Mississippi to the Atlantic and Great Lakes to the Ohio, give or take. Dan