Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
caaron

Default Advice on Central machinery wood lathe

I'm getting ready to purchase my first wood lathe, and I wanted to see if
anyone had any experience with or opinions about the Central Machinery wood
lathe from Harbor Freight. From what I've read, this is a Chinese copy of
the Jet 1236:

12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD Pivoting headstock for
extra-large bowl turning capacity. Headstock rotates and locks in position
at 45°, 90°, 135°, and 180°. Includes stand, tool rest, drive center, 6''
disc, and Allen wrenches.
a.. Swing over bed: 12''
b.. Motor: 3/4 HP, 120V, 60 Hz
c.. Speeds: 600, 750, 910, 1080, 1260, 1460, 1680, 1910, 2150, and 2400
RPM
d.. Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
e.. CSA listed
Shipping weight: 184 lbs.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

I just left my local Woodcraft store and they had a Jet mini with a nice 4
jaw Nova chuck for $269.00 on sale. This would be a much better value than
any HF lathe.

AZCRAIG

"caaron" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Q47M

My first lathe was a HF, cost about $129. My thinking was if I found I was
not adept at turning or just did not like woodturning I could just forget
the whole thing and not have too much invested. As it turned out the HF
served the purpose well. After about a month I sold the HF for $50 and
bought a real lathe. As suggested in the other post, the Jet Mini would be a
much better buy.
Hope this helps

LB

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

Chuck,

The Jet mini is a great lathe. You would be very pleased with the fit and
finish. Everything works smoothly. I don't get this feeling from the Central
Mach. lathes. I think you would be happy with a better quality lathe like
the Jet with good resale value if you ever want to move up. The chuck it
comes with from Woodcraft is a very nice little chuck. The combination makes
it a great value.

Have fun,

AZCRAIG

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"caaron" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
caaron

I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small for
me. The reason I asked about the Harbor Freight lathe was that it is full
size, low priced, and I had heard of several turners who bought it and were
very happy with it. This wasn't true of the other lathes they sell at
Harbor Freight--just this one, their 34706, which is a knock off of the Jet
1236 lathe. Although I am aware that Harbor Freight sells some really cheap
tools and that some are lousy I heard that this particular lathe was pretty
good. I was hoping to hear from anyone who actually has one or has used one
to see if there was any compelling reason not get one as a starter lathe.

Thanks,

Chuck

"caaron" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"caaron" wrote in message
I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small for
me. The reason I asked about the Harbor Freight lathe was that it is full
size, low priced, and I had heard of several turners who bought it and were
very happy with it.

Hope you own a bandsaw. That low end speed can be a challenge at capacity.
You'll want as well-balanced a blank as possible to start with. Means
circular, and nibble those triangles off the ends to get the CG as close to
possible to the center of rotation.

I am a believer in pin chucks and/or pin jaws because they are very secure
in their resistance to fly-away.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Patriarch

"caaron" wrote in
:

I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small
for me. snip

If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll find that a 12" lathe, from any
builder, is too small for much of your work...

Should you buy this one, don't plan on using it for your 'primary' for very
long.

Patriarch, on his second...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
caaron

I thought that was the purpose of the pivoting headstock--to rotate so that
I could accomodate larger bowls. Is that correct or did I misunderstand the
purpose of the pivoting headstock?

Chuck

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"caaron" wrote in
:

I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small
for me. snip

If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll find that a 12" lathe, from
any
builder, is too small for much of your work...

Should you buy this one, don't plan on using it for your 'primary' for
very
long.

Patriarch, on his second...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"caaron" wrote: I thought that was the purpose of the pivoting
headstock--to rotate so that I could accomodate larger bowls. Is that
correct or did I misunderstand the purpose of the pivoting headstock?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, you did not misunderstand, but you were mislead by the hype. A rotating
head will do that in theory, but for a number of practical reasons it seldom
works out:

1.) The crank-shaped toolrest extension that you need with the head turned
will break as soon as you try to use it. There have been foot injuries from
this.

2.) With the head turned, the tailstock cannot be used to stabilize a
heavy, unbalanced piece. This is IMPORTANT.

3.) The Reeves variable speed drive on the Jet 1236 and the HF clone stalls
easily. This will be especially annoying if you try to turn anything really
large.

However, the 12" swing will permit you to turn bowls that are quite large
enough to be satisfying. The rotating head is useful for working the inside
of bowls with good visibility and minimal leaning. It also helps to get
the tool handle away from the ways and tailstock for more freedom.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm

Chuck,

The pivoting headstock will be of little use for two or more reasons. The HF
lathe does not have enough cast iron or low enough rpms to make use of this
feature if you are turning a bowl larger than 12". The tool rest set up
will not be strong enough to extend far enough to make use of this feature
on a large bowl. At best the pivoting headstock would make it easier to sand
or turn in certain situations on a bowl that could be turned over the ways.
I think you would have the same problem on the Jet equivalent.

Many have been happy with that HF lathe as a starter lathe. I am pretty
confident they are not turning bowls that require the headstock pivot. You
might be able to turn platters this way?

I am sure it would be fine as long as you turn over the ways. Most important
thing is that you get a lathe and start having some fun.

Take care,

"caaron" wrote in message
I thought that was the purpose of the pivoting headstock--to rotate so that
I could accomodate larger bowls. Is that correct or did I misunderstand
the purpose of the pivoting headstock?

Chuck

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"caaron" wrote in
:

I plan on turning bowls, mostly, so a Mini lathe is probably too small
for me. snip

If you're planning on turning bowls, you'll find that a 12" lathe, from
any
builder, is too small for much of your work...

Should you buy this one, don't plan on using it for your 'primary' for
very
long.

Patriarch, on his second...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John DeBoo

Owning one of each I like them both. My HF is not the same model as you
are looking at but still one of the large ones, was $79 on sale at the
time. If you want to do big stuff its fine, although the bed has a
tendency to bow on mine if too much pressure on the ends of the wood is
used. Its not cast but square steel stock instead. Not so with the Jet
mini. If you want to do smaller stuff (yes, you can buy a bed
extension), I'd opt for the Jet. Its a really nice unit, semi portable
and the price is right. I paid $199 for mine on sale.
John

caaron wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Chuck

If you have enough money to waste some, go right ahead, it is right up
there with the $50.-- Rolex

It seems hard for some to admit that they bought a piece of junk, just
that they gave it away to a newbe, or sold it for 25 bucks, or now have
a real good disk sander etc.

There are good lathes out there, and this is not one of them, just save
some more money and you will be able to buy a decent lathe, small ones
like the Jet and Delta 10" lathes they are ok for small work

Or try to find an older lathes, with some luck you might find a real
decent lathe for small change, just don't be to much in a hurry.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Chuck

Here's a couple leads for lathes
http://woodcentral.com/newforum/classifieds.shtml
http://woodcentral.com/newforum/classifieds.shtml

There are a few more lathes for sale in the WC classifieds

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"caaron" wrote: I thought that was the purpose of the pivoting
headstock--to rotate so that I could accomodate larger bowls. Is that
correct or did I misunderstand the purpose of the pivoting headstock?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, you did not misunderstand, but you were mislead by the hype. A
rotating head will do that in theory, but for a number of practical
reasons it seldom works out:

1.) The crank-shaped toolrest extension that you need with the head
turned will break as soon as you try to use it. There have been foot
injuries from this.

Building your own stand and mounting the banjo and toolrest to the extended
top has worked at my house. You certainly don't have all the movements
you'd have with it on rails, but it works well enough. Have to have a long
enough post on your toolrest to get up to centerline or start to compromise
on how large a piece you want to turn.

2.) With the head turned, the tailstock cannot be used to stabilize a
heavy, unbalanced piece. This is IMPORTANT.

Of course, faceplates and pin chucks work well. Spend the extra time to
balance the piece, too.

3.) The Reeves variable speed drive on the Jet 1236 and the HF clone
stalls easily. This will be especially annoying if you try to turn
anything really large.

Slicing rather than stabbing is the answer. If the motor can turn the
piece, it has enough rotational force to shave off wood. Slipping and heat
production is a reminder not to press so hard or use dull tools. That low
end speed still bothers me, though. Had a similar problem with a 600+ on my
12" Delta, and until things were pretty round, one portion of my anatomy was
puckered oval or better....

However, the 12" swing will permit you to turn bowls that are quite large
enough to be satisfying. The rotating head is useful for working the
inside of bowls with good visibility and minimal leaning. It also helps
to get the tool handle away from the ways and tailstock for more freedom.

Score a pair for the use of "spindle" gouges with their shorter handles.
Especially shallow fluted ones that allow you to cut in on centerline at
nearly 90 degrees to the toolrest. No problems with clearance, no leaning
required, though you "feel" the cut and watch the progress on the opposite
side.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Chuck
I started on a single tube bed lathe that cost about C$150 at Canadian Tire.
People crap on this model, sold by lots of companies under different names,
all the time because of the low speed of 600 rpm and the single tube bed. On
the other hand I still have and use it along with my other three. It has a
12" swing and about 39" between centers. While it is used mostly for spindle
work these days, I have turned 11" bowls on it with no problem. The point
is, it turns wood round. More money gets you bigger, better, heavier, but
start up money gets you turning for fun fast. Enjoy this stuff. People will
and not to get a cheap lathe and so on. Get something you can afford to own
and have fun. Robin wood is doing great work on a home made treadle lathe
with home made tools. It sounds like you have done some home work. If no one
has turned on this particular model it is hard to give an opinion on it and
"if it is Harbor Freight it is bad" is a poor approach to an opinion. If HF
starts to sell the Jet Mini tomorrow does that make it a bad lathe? Give me
a break.

Enough. I am getting way off topic. Everyone go turn something and relax. Me
too.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

I own and use this particular lathe. There are 'things' with this that
I'm not satisfied about, but for the money I paid I honestly can't
complain about these thing.

Like other have already mentioned - please don't expect to load up a
really heavy piece and have it perform well. What other have said are
true - the speed stalls out with larger pieces, etc.....

A few things to be aware of that I've found out through experience-

1) The rotating headstock is a cool selling feature (on ANY lathe), but
to date I've never used it. Having the tailstock as support is vital.
This crazy 'outboard' tool rest slide just takes up space, as I'll
probably never use it. This might be OK for thinner plates, but
certainly not deep bowls.

2) When using the tailstock, don't crank down on it too hard, as it
will cause the headstock to actually lift slighty out of place, no
matter how tight I have the headstock in place (I've posted here before
on this).

3) This one really gets me - The motor housing is located in the
stupidest place one could think of. I can't practically use my
homemade Cole jaws, because there isn't enough clearance (only about
8"). So while it says 12" swing, that is AFTER you clear the motor
housing. If you're using the faceplace that comes with it, then it's
never a problem. I haven't had any problems with shorter faceplates or
a chuck under normal use.

4) The 'high' low speed of 600 RPM is a concern really only if you're
turning big, uneven pieces. Bandsawing or otherwise cutting the
corners beforehand is a good idea for any size piece. I've never to
date turned with the higher speeds - just thinking if the piece was to
ever fall apart at those crazy speeds is cause enough for me not to use
them.

5) Where I live, very few trees grow over 12" round, so having a large
swing isn't a concern for me. I haven't gotten into segmenting pieces
larger than that yet. Again, having the rotating headstock is (really)
a dumb feature. While you could work with the headstock at 180 deg,
it's not a good idea without the tailstock support.

6) The spindle is a standard 1" x 8 tpi, which you can use just about
any accessories.

If these concerns aren't going to hinder your plans too much, then the
price of this lathe is a good deal. Wait until it goes on sale for
$200, which is often. If you honestly want to turn bowls larger than
12", then look elsewhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

"Brent" wrote: (clip)The rotating headstock is a cool selling feature (on
ANY lathe), but to date I've never used it. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try rotating the headstock 15-30 degrees toward you sometime when you are
working on the inside of a bowl. I think you will find the visibility is
improved, you will have more room to swing the tool handle, and you may find
it is easier to get light in there. It is also easier on the back, since
you don't have to lean over the ways.
(clip) Where I live, very few trees grow over 12" round, so having a large
swing isn't a concern for me. (clip)
If you turn natural edge bowls, you may want to cut a blank longer than the
diameter of the tree.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
caaron

Thanks to all who replied for the advice.

Chuck