DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A tree question - Pomelo (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/148889-tree-question-pomelo.html)

Moshe Eshel March 13th 06 02:38 PM

A tree question - Pomelo

Did anyone here ever turn Pomelo tree? it is a citrus (like grapefruit
but more delicious), I can put my hands on some stock, and wondered if
anyone had any experience with it.

Any info would be appriciated, including musings.

Arch March 13th 06 04:33 PM

A tree question - Pomelo

Hi Moshe,
In Florida the Pomelo is known as a Shaddock. I once lived on Shaddock
St. in Tarpon Springs. a town in the citrus area so your post interests
me. The fruit is more pear shaped, larger and sweeter than a grapefruit
which IIRC, is a cross between a shaddock and an orange. I know that
Shaddocks grow in Southern Caleeefornia so maybe some Western turners
will respond re turning Pomelo.

I've never knowingly turned Shaddock, but I would imagine it is much
like grapefruit which I have turned. That cuts nicely, and although
bland is a homogenous milky white color, not unattractive.

I think you will enjoy turning Pomelo and it will give you a chance to
concentrate on form instead of flash. Follow up and let us know.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Kevin March 13th 06 08:23 PM

A tree question - Pomelo

The first time I had even heard of this was Dec 2004 whilke in southern
Chine. It was a common snack provided to visitors and guests (along with
sunflower seeds and tea). There were 2 types. One was just a bit less sour
than a grapefruit with few seeds. The other was even less sour than the
first with a larger number of seeds.
Both had a thick rind, perhaps an inch thick and were a bit larger than a
softball.
Sorry but I can't comment pon turning properties.

Moshe Eshel March 14th 06 07:10 PM

A tree question - Pomelo

A short update (yes I have been through a lot today):
I went overy to this guy's backyard. He doesn't have little, he has
loads of it... And it looks a pretty yellowish/cream, but no grain that
I could detect.
I'm gonna work out some barter with him (since he wants firewood) to
get it as fast as I can before it starts splitting up terribly - it
looks like it's already starting. I also got a few pictures of that
wood, and will get some more tommorow.

Maybe I need to open a wood export business :-)

Gerald Ross March 14th 06 11:59 PM

A tree question - Pomelo

Moshe Eshel wrote:
A short update (yes I have been through a lot today):
I went overy to this guy's backyard. He doesn't have little, he has
loads of it... And it looks a pretty yellowish/cream, but no grain that
I could detect.
I'm gonna work out some barter with him (since he wants firewood) to
get it as fast as I can before it starts splitting up terribly - it
looks like it's already starting. I also got a few pictures of that
wood, and will get some more tommorow.

Maybe I need to open a wood export business :-)

If you can find people who clear land for building and get more olive
wood, It would sure sell. I for one would like to try some.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

'Bother' said Pooh as Piglet acquired