Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default Mini/Midi Lathe Bench pics in a.b.p.w.

Turning is addictive - even if only on a JET VS mini/midi
lathe. But I can't use my woodworking bench with the
damn lathe sitting on it and covering the top with curlies,
chips. debris, gouges, chucks and centers.

SO - I'm making the JET its very own home. Pics and
more in alt.binaries.pictures.wooodworking.

As always, comments, suggestions and constructive
criticism will be appreciated.

When it's done I'll put up a few web pages on it - from
"how high, how wide, how deep" through finished bench

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Charlie

I always thought that the dam flat woodworking stuff would be in the
way to turn wood and so you would make an out of the way place for
that,G G
Looks high class, lead shot is maybe overkill and sand would do and be
less expensive, buts it's your call.
Drawers are nice but I am always wary of the wood shavings buildup and
overheating the motor, I personally would like it open below the motor.
Nice touch the plastic debris chute, it might fill your shoes though ??
Thanks for sharing.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

wrote:

Hi Charlie

I always thought that the dam flat woodworking stuff would be in the
way to turn wood and so you would make an out of the way place for
that,G G

Turning is my recreational woodworking, designing and making
shop furniture is my therapeutic hobby. Hopefully, after learning
a small part of the joinery world, becoming familiar with various
woods and how different finishes work with different woods, IF
and when I get to making "house furniture" there will be more
"AH!" experiences than "AH - SH*T!" experiences. I desperately
need book shelves - for my ever growing library of wood working
books and magazines

I will have to give up some wood storage space for this lathe
bench but I'm working on a rack under the eaves behind the
shop. As usually is the case in a small shop, in order to add
something you often have to move everything else - and
on rare occasions REMOVE something from the shop.

Looks high class,

Wait 'til you see the top with 10 or 15 coats of garnet
shellac and all the baltic birch with 10 or 15 coats
of super blonde shellac. Did I mention the ebony string
inlay in the sides? OK, so that would be a little over
the top - but black walnut - hmmm.

lead shot is maybe overkill and sand would do and be
less expensive, buts it's your call.

Sand in a woodworking shop is a no-no, even when encased in wood.
Doesn't take much to scratch a finish or dull a tool or two. Lead
shop I can see and lead doesn't dull edges. But at $1 a pound, it
certainly is more expensive than sand.

Drawers are nice but I am always wary of the wood shavings buildup and
overheating the motor, I personally would like it open below the motor.

The lathe will be up on 1 1/2" blocks to give more room under the
motor, reduce the likely hood of jamming a sharp edge I spent a
bit of time creating into the metal motor housing.

There's a 4" gap behind the back of the bench top for debris
removal which will fall down the back onto the plastic
"chute" and slide down towards the front of the bench and
into my loafers (I love the idea of a shoe with a name that
represents every man's dream - to be able to just loaf.)

Nice touch the plastic debris chute, it might fill your shoes though ??
Thanks for sharing.

see comment above debris in loafers

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 07:45 AM
Book for Turret Lathe Gunner Metalworking 0 August 2nd 03 08:56 AM