DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shellac for Mac (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/141441-shellac-mac.html)

George January 22nd 06 02:18 PM

Shellac for Mac

Here's the pictures of the soft maple dish with probably a half-dozen
"coats" of shellac on it. Not sure how many, because I sort of set it near
the computer and put on shellac over at the table periodically while having
a cup of coffee or tea. Could be six, could be ten for all I know.

It will likely get a couple more some time in the future before a quick buff
or rub with wax to cut back a bit on the gloss. Have to be very careful
power buffing shellac, as it flows at about 160 degrees.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...acLongSide.jpg
Shows the dark heartwood far side and what was the waterlogged sapwood in
the foreground.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...acOverhead.jpg
The view from above after rotating 180 degrees. The cotton pad I use for
shellac (LR) is the kind women use for removing cosmetics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...hellacRise.jpg
Outside, to show the basic contour. With the figure, you're hard-pressed to
guess it's the same wood on convex versus concave surfaces, though some is
the light from the flash. If I were going to use it as an entry, I'd use
diffused lighting and a vanishing background.

Hope you like it. I thought it was pretty nice looking until I set it on
the table and went to fetch the shellac. Susan picked it up while she was
clearing the leftover waffle stuff and asked whether she should "pitch it?"

When I said no, that I was going to put on a coat of shellac, she said "oh,
I thought it was broken, because of the corners."

Now you know why I never solicit critiques....

mac davis January 22nd 06 04:40 PM

Shellac for Mac

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:18:03 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

Thanks, George.. very nice work and pretty wood..

I would guess that your bride is a very good judge of bowls but hasn't realized
that you're now selling art.. *g*

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing