DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/140368-fridays-firewood-football-weekend.html)

George January 15th 06 05:48 PM

Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend

So SWMBO starts changing into work clothes at 11:30, and I'm dumb enough to
ask.

"Washing the walls coming up the stairs," she says.

"You know there're two more games on today, don't you?"

"Oh, go do what you want, I'll be done in an hour."

Turns (pun intended) out I was too. Was about to put this in the fire
Friday when I noticed that it had some ripple, and only small cracks, so I
set it aside. Got one from this morning that looks promising too, and the
house is warm enough on beech.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...s-Firewood.jpg
Oil only, awaiting shellac. Not too bad, either.

NOTE: No knuckles were barked in the making of this dish.

Tom Nie January 16th 06 11:02 AM

Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend

My Panthers won (but injuries are bad news for the next game)

Who were yours?

TomNie

George January 16th 06 12:02 PM

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
My Panthers won (but injuries are bad news for the next game)

Who were yours?

Well, Green Bay or Detroit are traditional up here, Lions even had an Iron
Mountain boy coaching. Wait 'till next decade?

I, as most, felt the Colts and Panthers would win. Cup's half full.

Tom Nie January 16th 06 01:10 PM

Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend

MY cup's full (but leaking).

If we turned at the skill level of this week's officiating - often - then
we'd be setting up booths to sell firewood.

But, if I could turn wood and generate the excitement of this week's games
I'd be featured at the AAW Symposium. You couldn't dream up an ending like
Pittsburgh/Colts.

skeezics January 16th 06 05:11 PM

Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:10:41 -0500, "Tom Nie"
wrote:

MY cup's full (but leaking).

If we turned at the skill level of this week's officiating - often - then
we'd be setting up booths to sell firewood.

But, if I could turn wood and generate the excitement of this week's games
I'd be featured at the AAW Symposium. You couldn't dream up an ending like
Pittsburgh/Colts.

TomNie

aint it the truth!!!!!! if i did my job the way they have been doing
theirs i would have to sell the farm!! lol,,, they make the case for
challenges for sure.

skeez

mac davis January 16th 06 06:42 PM

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:48:29 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

So SWMBO starts changing into work clothes at 11:30, and I'm dumb enough to
ask.

"Washing the walls coming up the stairs," she says.

"You know there're two more games on today, don't you?"

"Oh, go do what you want, I'll be done in an hour."

Turns (pun intended) out I was too. Was about to put this in the fire
Friday when I noticed that it had some ripple, and only small cracks, so I
set it aside. Got one from this morning that looks promising too, and the
house is warm enough on beech.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...s-Firewood.jpg
Oil only, awaiting shellac. Not too bad, either.

NOTE: No knuckles were barked in the making of this dish.

Really nice looking grain, George.. I'd like to see a picture of the bowl when
it done..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

George January 16th 06 09:07 PM

"mac davis" wrote in message

NOTE: No knuckles were barked in the making of this dish.

Really nice looking grain, George.. I'd like to see a picture of the bowl
when
it done..

Going to be a while, Mac. While working the tractor this morning I smashed
the tip of the pinky on my right hand. Think I'm going to lose the nail.
I don't even want to think about tight gloves or possible alcohol leaks for
a while.

Maybe it's time to learn to apply finishes left-handed....

mac davis January 17th 06 04:36 PM

Friday's Firewood - Football Weekend

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:07:07 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

NOTE: No knuckles were barked in the making of this dish.

Really nice looking grain, George.. I'd like to see a picture of the bowl
when
it done..

Going to be a while, Mac. While working the tractor this morning I smashed
the tip of the pinky on my right hand. Think I'm going to lose the nail.
I don't even want to think about tight gloves or possible alcohol leaks for
a while.

Maybe it's time to learn to apply finishes left-handed....

I think that you should... you turn both left and right handed, right??

A caution from a left hander: I seldom take off my wedding ring when turning
(probably have to have it cut off) and I've had it leave marks on the wood
through vinyl gloves when I've accidently let it clunk against the bowl...

Sorry about the finger, but at least it wasn't on your "main" hand...

It's gonna hurt like hell when it thaws in spring.... or have you already warmed
it up? *g*