DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   turning bowls (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/140320-turning-bowls.html)

bizHB January 15th 06 11:57 AM

turning bowls

can an oland tool comepletely take over the job of the bowlgouge? how
would you go about using a spindle gouge for bowls?
when using the kelton coring system how do you mount the inner bowls to
the lathes? is a faceplate and glued wasteblock the only option? how do
you finish the foot afterwards? otherways besides a doughnut chuck,
vaccuum chuck or jumbo jaws.
~B

George January 15th 06 01:18 PM

turning bowls

"bizHB" wrote in message
ups.com...
can an oland tool comepletely take over the job of the bowlgouge?

If you're committed, possibly. It's an edge on a stick. What it lacks as
the clearance geometry for some cuts.

how
would you go about using a spindle gouge for bowls?

By rolling it up on its edge and paring away wood, same as you should be
using it for spindles.

when using the kelton coring system how do you mount the inner bowls to
the lathes? is a faceplate and glued wasteblock the only option? how do
you finish the foot afterwards? otherways besides a doughnut chuck,
vaccuum chuck or jumbo jaws.

Screw chuck, pin jaws, will work, with the help of your tailstock and maybe
a spindle extender. The way you mount to reverse and hollow is your choice.
I don't like feet on bowls, so I use a recess. Means it's finished before I
turn to hollow.